How would you rate episode 210?

Ran

How would you rate episode 210?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I feel like they are trying to give the book readers something new while gutting the important parts: 4/10

Step 1 Kill Ros. Don't waste screen time making her into a full character then whine that there isn't enough time for the important things.

-Tyrion/Shae. It's obvious now that that want Shae to be a full character and not a whore. She is a whore, and its kinda important to her arc that she loves shiny things. Gotta love the acting, but the emotion was wrong at this point. It suggests that the up coming betrayal might not happen and that Shae might be some kind of pressure point that Tyrion gets pressed on, rather than her being a fulcrum for Tyrions twang.

Oh wait, maybe that's too misogynistic for an HBO audience?

That's why you have Brienne, Catlyn, Arya, Ygritte and Melisandre. And maybe Cersei.

-Stannis/Melisandre I liked this scene, but I was very conscious of the time it took up in the episode. It felt like something that could have waited till season 3. Or, y'know never shown.

-Jon and the Half-fail. I have to wonder why they spent as much screne time screwing this plotline up as they could have just showing it the way it happened. In the books this was a great plotline about the hunters being the hunted.

-House of the Undying. I really hope they show this in Season 3, rather than just the Privy of Prayt Prye. Again, I liked what they showed, but they could have cut the two scenes we got from ep 8 & 9 with Dany wringing her hands about stolen dragons to show us the freaking prophesies. I mean, they are kinda important for her continuing arc and the overarching theme of what's going on.

This makes me hope even more for a sort of 'prequel' episode that explains Robert's rebellion and gives some backstory.

Another case where all the low voters are commenting whereas all the high voters do not. Let's hear more praise, balance it out!

Also, Ran (or whoever), I'd be interested in seeing the average score for each of the episodes on here! Episode 9 seems to be ridiculously higher than any other episode.

PROS - Tyrion, Sansa/Tywin/Margaery/Joffrey scene, Emilia Clarke's acting, Theon and Luwin's scene together, Jon and Qhorin's fight (@ people saying "HE NEVER INSTRUCTED HIM) - I'm sorry, but it WAS just about obvious enough in ep8 that Qhorin had told Jon what to do.)

CONS - Sack of Winterfell could have tugged at heartstrings more - more shots of the ruins, perhaps even shots of the Boltons approaching (a hidden bastard maybe?) before they burned the place. And Theon being knocked out was fine as a change but really rushed. Also, HOTU needed a better pay-off - prophecies. That masked woman should have had a plot point...

Anyway, I felt that a lot of the changes were unnecessary in this episode, and that's actually the first time I've said that this series. Blackwater was so epic and well done, it was almost as if the series had learned its lesson and finally reached its zenith, and then boom we slip slightly down again. When I say down... Episode 8 was a big disappointment for me after eps 6 and 7 which were probably my favourites alongside Ep9. I just think that the vast number of storylines could have reached their climaxes at different points and allocated at different points (ep 8 desperately needed something big to keep the momentum going after 6 and 7).

I'm babbling. In a nutshell, too much cutting between scenes and too many big book moments given barely any screen time. BUT, I'd still give it an 8. As I've said before, even the weakest episodes of the series (for all the familiar problems), were frequently exciting. Yes, I felt a bit irritated at the slight plot changes, especially in Daenerys' storyline, but I still couldn't take my eyes off it. Series 2 wasn't as faithful to the book as Series 1, but is was just as if not more riveting as television.

Hopefully, with series 3/4 covering SoS, they manage to get the balance JUST right next series.

I don't understand why some things are done differently than from the books, especially the parts above the wall... basically from the moment Jon meets Ygritte it's all done differently, however I don't see the point at all.

The attack on the fist was completely unsatisfying, the 'Others' didn't seem scary at all, he just looked like a whitepainted ruffian, they shouldn't be naked and with wild hair IMHO, I imagined them statuesque with ice-armor and the wights were just zombies, in the books they actually kick ass and are fast, the suspense of the three blasts was entirely lost on me. Why was it filmed by day? The way it was filmed felt like yet another stupid zombie B-movie, zooming out over the crawling zombies... I don't mean to be too harsh, but I just don't understand any of the decisions they made at all concerning the parts above the wall, to me the way it was written in the books was perfectly translatable to the series. They also missed out on Jon's warging dream...

It's like the director of this episode couldn't admit GRRM wrote the novels extremely well and just HAD to do it differently, like a little child.

I'm waiting to see what my non-reader friends think of this episode.

Edited by Bloodraven's Lost Eye

I gave it a 2 out of 10. At this point, I don't care about the book/tv series changes, but just that they tell the story well. Unfortunately, other than a few moments, this was an inepty produced and written piece of television.

I laughed during the cliffhanger scene with the White Walkers. Was this supposed to be scary or threatening? It was cartoon like. Generally, they have avoided using bad CGI, but this was non premium cable quality. If you can't afford to do it right, less is more!

I did like the beginning of the House of the Undying, especially the Throne Room, but after that it just fell flat for me. Doreah's betrayal was underwritten so it lacked any meaningful impact.

Robb's marriage - Uggh. Just for love? That makes sense. How does the first born of Winterfell, heir apparent of Ned Stark, not realize his marriage was always going to be political. D&D did know favors to this character this year with this inept storyline. At least take the time to provide some underlying motivation or rationale for this decision, beyond I have fallen for her.

Winterfell and Theon - This has been one of the few highlights of the season, but why is Winterfell burning? What happened to the Northmen surrounding the castle? How do Bran & company wander around with no one seeing them? Lets not think about it too much, they producers obviously didn't.

And in the midst of this trainwreck, at least we know Ros remains unscathed. Sweet! Sarcasm fully intended.

Worst episode of the series. First half was excellent, but I felt that there were too many strange things that happened which either felt poorly handled(sacking of Winterfell, Qhorin's death) or jarred with the feeling of the series(last scene with the WW and the zombies felt very.. out of place. Also, why don't they just kill Sam?)

4/10. Very disappointed since Blackwater was the best episode of the series.

I gave it a 9. Although I would have liked some prophecy or even a mention of "A Song of Ice and Fire" in the HoTU, it was nice seeing Drogo again. I was not expecting that.

Maester Luwin :bawl: - I cried during that scene.

Jaime/Brienne was great. Brienne is so cool.

3 horn blasts. Is it season 3 yet?

An 8 but barely.

Soo much good, so much Meh. Still some of the best TV available so Ill leave out my dislikes.

Heart tree - The set was fantastic, just as I pictured the weir and the godswoods.

Lord Varys - So perfect for the part, fantastic voice and diction.

Brienne - Dont fu*k with her.

Theon - So much better than the book, Alfie is slightly crazy lookin, gave a great speech till he was betrayed (note to self-never trust an Ironborn) and Id help him kill that hornblower.

Tywin/the horse/Maergery - Yea! Beauty and the beasts. A Queen? The Queen!

Face change - Jaqen is no more.

Tyrion and Pycelle - He should have cut off more than his beard and fed it to the goats.

Thought the episode would end with Jaimies great loss but now we still have it to look forward to and prehaps the appearance of the Goat.

Afterthought for the older viewers: Does Osha remind you of Richard Nixon?

Edited by Ser Graymax

Robb's marriage - Uggh. Just for love? That makes sense. How does the first born of Winterfell, heir apparent of Ned Stark, not realize his marriage was always going to be political. D&D did know favors to this character this year with this inept storyline. At least take the time to provide some underlying motivation or rationale for this decision, beyond I have fallen for her.

But what was the rationale for Jeyne Westerling? Wasn't it really just love there as well? I actually thought this was something they did well. Robb's relationship with Jeyne occured mostly "off-screen" in the books, so him showing up with this new wife was even less justifiable. At least they gave this woman enough screentime and appeal (the avoiding slavery/helping people was a nice touch) that you could see how Robb might fall for her.

And in the midst of this trainwreck, at least we know Ros remains unscathed. Sweet! Sarcasm fully intended.

I couldn't stand Ros' screen time last season. This season, however, it makes a lot more sense. She is essentially the surrogate, or maybe the embodiment, of the ongoing machinations between Littlefinger and Varys, and I think the scene with her and Varys really worked for that purpose. She's an illustration about how those two guys are constantly battling it out beneath the surface.

Gave it an 8, btw.

Edited by Former Lord of Winterfell

8/10

This episodes had ups and downs. One definite up was the last scene. All morning the "Three Blasts" theme played in my head, as did that image of the Other. The House of the Undying was not bad, especially the image of the throne room, because that is how I imagine it will look like at one point before the end of the series.

Worst parts: the sack of Winterfell and the ruining of Robb's character (and as always Ros)

We're not being nerds or crybabies, it's just an awful, terrible episode. They're taking too many liberties which aren't necessary.

No, you are. You purists disgust me. I have read this series at least 4 times (ADwD only once so far and AFfC twice) and am absoultely enjoying the fact that they are adding new things and changing from the books. It would be boring if you knew every single event that happened at every given moment. It's fun not seeing the EXACT same thing that we all have read over and over again.

Enjoy it for what it is. The entire story heart is still there if you just stopped looking for everything to shit on. I bet when it comes down to AFfC and ADwD commingled story you won't bitch or complain about changing stuff then. Yeah, the Jon Snow and Qhorin was less brilliant than the book. Big deal, life goes on.

I gave this one an 8. I was recently out of town and away from my books and I found it much easier then to separate the books from the series...I really do try to see things from the writing/adapting point of view but I just did not like the HotU or the last scene very much.

But no matter what changes are made, Tyrion is ALWAYS fantastic and Alfie Allen knocked Theon out of the park yet again.

Now I have til next April to get my non-reading partner caught up word for word for season 3 :)

Edited by Watcher_inthe_Woods

Awful, absolutely awful. There are so many changes from the book, and all of them are terrible. The Bastard of Bolton doesn't sack Winterfell. The Maester Luwin scene is bungled, and he looks full of vitality even though he's supposed to be dying, and this would be confusing for non-book-readers. The House of the Undying is just pathetic. The conclusion to the Qarth part of the series -- with Danaerys storming the city with a few men -- is absurd. Ghost doesn't intervene in the fight with Qhorin Halfhand; the dire wolves were almost entirely absent this season. Samwell hides behind a rock in the midst of an undead horde, which is goofy and unnecessary (he could have watched from a cliff). Shae is being presented as humane, when she's supposed to be presented as materialistic. I could go on and on.

The excuse that they have to cover so much ground in a single episode is not enough to get them off the hook for this. They could have easily had the Bolton men instead of Pyke men sack Winterfell, for example. They keep taking liberties, and all these liberties are stupid. Instead of trying to translate a work of genius as well as possible to television, they are trying to improve upon it. Predictably, they're failing.

The pyke men didn't sack Winterfell. The Bolton men did. The Pyke men went out of the city expecting to be spared and were butchered. The Bolton men rode in and burned the city.

I find it unacceptable, and frankly insulting, that Tywin's horse did not shit at the foot of the Iron Throne, instead taking his dump before entering the hall. Why change this defining moment? The infernal writers have now ruined the character arc of everyone in the Throne room. There are so many layers and, dare I say, foreshadowing, as well as HINDshadowing to this striking moment in the books, and yet, the diabolical D & D ruined the entire series with the premature poop. Why, I ask you? I still retained hope for this travesty of an adaptation but this, fellow book purists, THIS felt like molten gold being poured over my head! I fell to the floor, wailing, cursing the old gods and the new! Where was Joffrey, "gingerly" stepping around the dung? I feel betrayed and sickened.

Wow. Felt blasphemous writing that. That was an awesome episode and I gave it a 10.

Stop playing spot the difference. It's fantastic television.

Marry me.

Gave it a 5.

After a near-perfect "Blackwater" episode, this one just felt lame. I don't really care about changes from the books (if you want it to be like the books, read the books!), but I do want the story to make sense.

The HotU felt Hollywood-ly ridiculous - one moment, Pyat Pree boasts about how the dragons give him power, next moment he gets roasted by them. Seriously?

Also, I would have thought the King of Qarth would have enough bodyguards to at least give him some time to escape the mansion and not get captured sleeping in his bedchamber!

The stuff beyond the Wall is even worse. I don't really like book-Jon, but at least he has some good qualities. Tv-Jon is just a dumb, spoiled brat with a cool sword and an awesome direwolf. The Qhorin plotline was pretty useless from the start and came to a fitting end - Jon did not carry out Qhorin's last order, he just killed him because Qhorin called his mother a whore.

As for the "Zombie Apocalypse", while decently done, it certainly has NO place in the season finale of a show named "Game of Thrones".

I guess I will still be waiting for S3, but I expect something of Spartacus level - nice fighting scenes, nice tits, nice CGI, just dumb fun.

Please just try to enjoy and stop being so negative at every slight little detail that is changed because one day, the show will no longer be on air and every single person on the forum, and every fan of the book and/or show will think, "Damn, that was one of the best shows on TV, and I complained about every tiny detail almost the whole time it was on air." the episode may not have been a 10/10, but the season as a whole has been a whole lot better than Glee (which I will never watch) or whatever bs is on TV these days.

Last thing... season 3.... :drool:

Oh yes. There is very little good tv these days. Thank goodness for HBO OnDemand AND HBO-GO

The pyke men didn't sack Winterfell. The Bolton men did. The Pyke men went out of the city expecting to be spared and were butchered. The Bolton men rode in and burned the city.

How do you know? There is no evidence of this in the show.

But what was the rationale for Jeyne Westerling? Wasn't it really just love there as well? I actually thought this was something they did well. Robb's relationship with Jeyne occured mostly "off-screen" in the books, so him showing up with this new wife was even less justifiable. At least they gave this woman enough screentime and appeal (the avoiding slavery/helping people was a nice touch) that you could see how Robb might fall for her.

Robb married Jeyne Westerling because of honour (shades of his father). After learning of the deaths of Bran and Rickon, Jeyne comforted him, which led to both of them having sex for the first time. Jeyne's marriage prospects would have been greatly diminished given she had slept with someone. Its a huge mistake, nonetheless, its completely in character for someone raised by Ned Stark.

I thought they might play the pregnancy card and have Robb not wanting to have a basterd. Not wanting to make his father's mistake. That at least would have some rationale given how he knew Jon was treated by his mother.

But simply for love makes no sense. Marriage for highborns was never about love. Robb as the eldest and heir to Winterfell would have understood this the most.

I'd give it an 8.

The Good

-The scene with Joffrey in the throne room was spot on, though it would have been nice to see Stannis subjects proclaiming Joffrey false.

-Theon's scenes and the burning of Winterfell was also well done.

-I'm glad they included the part where Jaime and Brienne finding the hanging corpses.

- I don't see why they changed the Jon and Qhorin scene from the book, but I guess it works either way. The part where they see the camp down in the valley was epic.

-Robb/Talissa (Yeah I'm one of those who like that relationship)

-Jaqen giving the coin and Valar Morghulis

- The ending with the three blasts leading to the Others approach. Great buildup for the next season

The Bad

-Dany's scenes (I disliked the HOTU)

-Xaro and Doreah being locked up? Why did they get rid of the handmaidens?

-Jaqen scene (A con as well, since we didnt get to see Arya's escape from Harrenhal)

-Stannis choking Mel

Dany's storyline was the main problem this season. There wasn't a single scene I really enjoyed. A shame really since her scenes were great in season 1. Other then that I didn't really have an issue with any other arc.