How would you rate episode 210?

Ran

How would you rate episode 210?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

As for the House of the Undying:

Does the snow on the throne represent Jon? Was Dany then shunning the throne to go beyond the wall and find her family in death? Did they just spoil the entire series?

I thought it might represent winter (ie White Walkers) descending on King's Landing. It's not really spoiling the series, I'm pretty sure we all agree that at some point the Others will breach the Wall and bulldoze everything in their path as they head south.

In the book she saw Aerys on the throne about to burn King's Landing ("let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat"). In the show I think it still may have been Aerys, but we never saw the dude on the throne

7. Was really bored half way through the episode. The changes to the story don't bother me. Jon and Dany's whole story this season was..meh. Seeing how it ended, I thought they could have cut out some of Jon wandering through Iceland and Dany "I am stormborn...fire and blood". Loved the Winterfell stuff...Theon is now one of my faves, and I hated him in the books. Looking forward to seeing Alfie Allen next year. Loved! Loved! Kings Landing definately my favorite location due to the amazing acting and dialogue. Brianne you kick ass! Loved Jaime's reaction. I also like how they showed that the "Stark" soldiers are just as bad. The WW reminded me too much of "Thriller". Sounded really cool, looked ridiculous. I am in the less is more camp. And thank god they got a wagon for Bran! Hodors back never would have made it. Robb/Talissa, no suprise there. "I don't want to marry a Frey"- too bad Robb, you're an hier, your marriage was always going to be politically motivated, not for love. Liked Catelyn's talk about love.

Edited by WeLightTheWay

This barely can get a 6. I liked the dragon/other CGI,I also liked Jaqen,and the King's Landing plot. But still,they could have showed,if not all the shade-of-the-lsd visions,at least the Undying and their rotting heart. Pyat was only a warlock,not an Undying itself. And if they used the ''dracarys'' thing,how the hell will they pull out the Astapori storyline?And locking Doreah,as far as i recall,Dany herself sent her to whore around. In the books,she was the one who taught her how to please Drogo and Dany held her hand as she died of a wasting disease. They could have easily replaced the cheesy-weesy Dani-Drogo and Robb-TalisaSharkFinNose with something better. And I am still confused about Dagmer. Roose previously mentioned that his bastard is on his way to Winterfell,so Dagmer can't be Ramsay. I guess the ironborn just handed Theon to the Dreadfort army. I looked forward to this episode,but it was kinda dissapointing.

8 from me. WW's just walking right past Sam made 0 sense. Theons exit and the sacking of Winterfell made even less. What happened to the 500 North men? Guess it will be explained and better be explained next season because alot of nonbook readers I know are very confused by this. Over all great television.

I imagine it will be explained as Ramsey is to be casted. Guess they didn't want to cast a different actor for a brief appearance in the finale.

Edited by Dru

All in all I thought they did a great job this season. I gave this episode a 7 because of the HoTU, I thought that was lame. Otherwise I thought the episode was good, I loved Brienne and Jaqen Hagar. I also like the way they had Hagar say that he was a Faceless Man instead of that being subtle like in the books, and LF telling Sansa right out that he would rescue her instead of the Dontos story line and surprise at the end. Since the visions in the HoTU were not in the book....I have to assume we are being set up for Dany to be at the Wall at some point which we had all figured out would happen eventually. Also, it looks like she will be in Westeros during winter in the tv series at least. So maybe she will get heck out of Meereen!

I think the writers and producers have done a great job with this TV series. I have been able to separate it from the books and appreciate it for what it is. But the HoTU was a real letdown. I do think all in all the series is excellent and hope it wins tons of Emmys.

I'd like to commend this article by Todd VanDerWerff on the challenges of adapting Martin's books to a television show.

I give this last episode an 8.5. Overall I thought it was well done, but it also felt hasty at times and it did not have the emotional impact that I was hoping for.

I want to applaud the HBO writers and directors for a splendid second season. I believe that many of the "critics" on this forum have been excessively harsh and naive in their criticisms. If the writers had not taken the creative liberties that they did, the show would have failed miserably. As I have said several times before, "Game of Thrones" must be appreciated on its own terms, not in terms of slavish rendering of the books. I suspect that George Martin understands this much better than many of his fans.

I forgot to give a rating. A 10. was Blackwater a better intergrated episode. Yes. But there was so much they had to wrap up and they did it well.

Plus there were many surprises, like Brienne in action; Dany's disturbing vision of King's Landing, her seeing the Wall & Jason Mamoa & adorable baby; Shae/Tyrion scene; Dany walling up Doreah & Xaro; Jaqen & Arya; & the White Walkers intent on making war on all humanity.

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

5 from me,

proberly my least faviroute episode of the season. What I hate about this season (not season 1) is it's consistancy. As a season it just doesn't match up to the first one. Unless they stick more ish to the books and less with the made up scenes, i reckon it will lose support. (Just to clarify I have nothing against extra scenes, as long as they make the story more interesting eg. the 13s death, or Robert and Cersai. But if something isn't broke, don't fix it.

Hi Everyone.This is my first post so please forgive me the lenght of it. I can without any reservations give the final episode of the series a very strong zero.It was a huge letdown in term of overall writing, concept and annoying cheesiness and in particular - lack of proper plot execution for a season finale. The important thing is that the fault lies almost exclusively with the writers of the show. Every other aspect of the show was satisfactory at worst. It were Mr Benioff and Mr Weiss that completely butchered the episode and the season for me. I would be more satisfied if the previous episode (written by Marint) was the last one this season - even though it left so many subplots completely unresolved. This is the masure ot B&W failure ... or rather I should say a proof of their utter and complete lack of talent and imagination. Direction, scenography, actors...everything was great, good or just ok. Except for the story... a bundle of chaotic, pointless and downright annoying ideas of how to completely butcher a great story and fascinating characters.

There were some great scenes in the episode. Most importantly Theon - the only pov character untouched by Benioff and Weiss' lack of writing skill and imagination. Arya and Tyrion were quite decent, believable, fairly faithful to the spirit of their characters and quite well played. The problem with Arya is that the scene was taken out of context which completely killed an interesting pov subplot. Tyrion was treated unspeakably in this episode. Not only we get very little of his loss of status which is a pivotal point to many many events in the season and will be in the next one (hopefully) but also we get the annoying good-hearted whore Shae again.To make things worse the writers get their motivations backwards to what they were in the novels. It is entirely believable with Tyrion since he is a bit different character here but that can only mean that Shae is going to be yet another whore saint in the future.Varys was great as usual and I can't only understand why we were fed this annoying whore Ros. To show a pair of regulation tits? Stannis again is a pale distant shade of the Stannis we know from the books and some of the better scenes in the series. Apparently he suffered some head injury when he charged the walls last week because he acts a little like a bipolar personality. Since the writers decided to forgo the struggle between Melissandre and Stannis' men altogether (why I will never know - it was fundamental to his story) his violent reaction to her makes some sort of sense yet when he is shown some pivotal revelation in the flames it is underplayed at best. What did he see? Himself on the iron throne? Because there was no single sign in the season that Melissandre is about anything more serious than some dynastic dispute. The scenes with Robb and Bran were boring. Robb in particular lost all his tragic elements with the way his story was handled. The tension between him and Cat was close to non-existant and his marriage to Oona Chaplin makes him immature and unreliable not tragically conflicted and young as in the novels. I pitied Martin's Robb ... this one seriously gets on my nerves. Also his new wife's profile is surprisingly unattractive. Catelyn was decent and her exchange with Jaime a few episodes back certainly made her a bit more faithful to the novels. These were the good and decent scenes. Here come the bad, the really bad and the truly monstrously awful...

First Sansa/Cersei/Joffrey/etc. Horse taking a dump - fan favourite? Forced. Spoils of war? Artificial and forced. Bethrodal of Margaery? Unbelievable and primitive and it doesn't work even with the "revamped" golddigger Margaery of the series. Sansa's reaction? Well was she happy or sad? And what was the business with Baelish... The whole scene made no sense other than introduced some plot elements for future seasons and showed off actors on payroll. Sandor Clegane was right - f**k the king! It would be sooo much better to have Pycelle or Varys or Bronn tell that to Tyrion since that would give more screen time to a better and more important character. Lord Tywin was painfully disappoiniting also. He is so much more interesting than a guy on a horse. Then comes Jaime. To show how deadly Brienne is we have her fight Jaime, win and humiliate him and then they both get caught by Mummers and Jaime loses his sword hand.End of scene - great cliffhanger! Only that never happened! Instead we get some idiotic and pointless scene that takes up time and moves the story nowhere. But it can get better. Next on the list is Daenerys. It is truly unfair to complain about the lamest, most artificial and forced main character in the whole series. For once it is because this Daenerys is obviously some other Daenerys, probably some stupid D&D character. I am half ready to believe she is a fire elf or some such. The writers should have explained that the similarity with Martin's character is purely incidental. And I completely miss to see the point of the vision in the House of the Undying. The writers obviously do not understand why Martin put it there so why not simply cut to the showdown. But that is not the worst. The worst is undoubtedly Sam and the finale. Why would three horn blows foil a shit gathering raid rather than assasination attempt I will never know but then this is problably why I am not writing the series. But why on earth after all those disappointments, budget cuts and other changes we actually get to see the mythical, dreadful, unknown, unseen for millenia Others if all the creative people can come up with are some cheesy B-movie knock-off monsters who squeal like a butchered pig??????? Were they supposed to be scary? They were laughably pathetic even more so than those furballs we glimpsed in the prologue. But my main reason is why they were there in the first place. Can anyone honestly tell me why they are there in the first place??? I can manage some stupid nonsensical magic because of the dragons... but why those clowns????

Gods be good we know that the writers can't see the most important story arc in the whole saga.

Sorry for the lenght of it.

Gave it a 6, lowest rating I've given thus far.

1. I hate Ros's scenes. All of them. So unbelievably f*cking uneeded. Not contributing to the MINIMUM to the whole plot.

2. In contrast to that, while we get a scene with a whore looking for Vary's weenie, no one explained us who the hell burned down Winterfell. I had to go to wikipedia and find out what really happened, and why Bran/Rickon/Osha/Hodor didn't go with the Northmen, because when I watched the show I was like "WTF".

3. House of the Undying scenes were OK, had a certain mysticism and feeling.

4. Stannis's scene, what the hell. What the hell was in that fire? Nothing? Was that the whole point, that Stannis is mindcontrolled/influenced by Melissandre? Either way, I didn't get anything new from that scene.

5. Cliffhanger questions. What is really the purpose of that scene - presentation of an Undead army?

i) Should the viewers be in awe like "Wow look, an undead army with zombies...!", because after LOTR's army of undead, Tarantino's Grindhouse suite and a few hundred other zombie apocalypse movies, I was like "meh, okay."

ii) Was it supposed to create suspense? Like a "what will happen?" thing. Hmm, such a mystery, a wild guess would be.... A BATTLE?

iii) Shouldn't the cliffhanger end with the battle and hang on what will happen next? I know, there would be a battle but the budget was so low that there wasn't enough dough to film it now. I'm guessing the battle won't be on the first episode of the next season either.

Also, a whole year for 10 episodes / 8.3 hours of TV reel, what the hell guys. Some actors have signed long lasting contracts with HBO for these series, shouldn't you be writing and filming this at like a double rate than this? Sup? :P

Hi Everyone.This is my first post so please forgive me the lenght of it. I can without any reservations give the final episode of the series a very strong zero.It was a huge letdown in term of overall writing, concept and annoying cheesiness and in particular - lack of proper plot execution for a season finale. The important thing is that the fault lies almost exclusively with the writers of the show. Every other aspect of the show was satisfactory at worst. It were Mr Benioff and Mr Weiss that completely butchered the episode and the season for me. I would be more satisfied if the previous episode (written by Marint) was the last one this season - even though it left so many subplots completely unresolved. This is the masure ot B&W failure ... or rather I should say a proof of their utter and complete lack of talent and imagination. Direction, scenography, actors...everything was great, good or just ok. Except for the story... a bundle of chaotic, pointless and downright annoying ideas of how to completely butcher a great story and fascinating characters.

There were some great scenes in the episode. Most importantly Theon - the only pov character untouched by Benioff and Weiss' lack of writing skill and imagination. Arya and Tyrion were quite decent, believable, fairly faithful to the spirit of their characters and quite well played. The problem with Arya is that the scene was taken out of context which completely killed an interesting pov subplot. Tyrion was treated unspeakably in this episode. Not only we get very little of his loss of status which is a pivotal point to many many events in the season and will be in the next one (hopefully) but also we get the annoying good-hearted whore Shae again.To make things worse the writers get their motivations backwards to what they were in the novels. It is entirely believable with Tyrion since he is a bit different character here but that can only mean that Shae is going to be yet another whore saint in the future.Varys was great as usual and I can't only understand why we were fed this annoying whore Ros. To show a pair of regulation tits? Stannis again is a pale distant shade of the Stannis we know from the books and some of the better scenes in the series. Apparently he suffered some head injury when he charged the walls last week because he acts a little like a bipolar personality. Since the writers decided to forgo the struggle between Melissandre and Stannis' men altogether (why I will never know - it was fundamental to his story) his violent reaction to her makes some sort of sense yet when he is shown some pivotal revelation in the flames it is underplayed at best. What did he see? Himself on the iron throne? Because there was no single sign in the season that Melissandre is about anything more serious than some dynastic dispute. The scenes with Robb and Bran were boring. Robb in particular lost all his tragic elements with the way his story was handled. The tension between him and Cat was close to non-existant and his marriage to Oona Chaplin makes him immature and unreliable not tragically conflicted and young as in the novels. I pitied Martin's Robb ... this one seriously gets on my nerves. Also his new wife's profile is surprisingly unattractive. Catelyn was decent and her exchange with Jaime a few episodes back certainly made her a bit more faithful to the novels. These were the good and decent scenes. Here come the bad, the really bad and the truly monstrously awful...

First Sansa/Cersei/Joffrey/etc. Horse taking a dump - fan favourite? Forced. Spoils of war? Artificial and forced. Bethrodal of Margaery? Unbelievable and primitive and it doesn't work even with the "revamped" golddigger Margaery of the series. Sansa's reaction? Well was she happy or sad? And what was the business with Baelish... The whole scene made no sense other than introduced some plot elements for future seasons and showed off actors on payroll. Sandor Clegane was right - f**k the king! It would be sooo much better to have Pycelle or Varys or Bronn tell that to Tyrion since that would give more screen time to a better and more important character. Lord Tywin was painfully disappoiniting also. He is so much more interesting than a guy on a horse. Then comes Jaime. To show how deadly Brienne is we have her fight Jaime, win and humiliate him and then they both get caught by Mummers and Jaime loses his sword hand.End of scene - great cliffhanger! Only that never happened! Instead we get some idiotic and pointless scene that takes up time and moves the story nowhere. But it can get better. Next on the list is Daenerys. It is truly unfair to complain about the lamest, most artificial and forced main character in the whole series. For once it is because this Daenerys is obviously some other Daenerys, probably some stupid D&D character. I am half ready to believe she is a fire elf or some such. The writers should have explained that the similarity with Martin's character is purely incidental. And I completely miss to see the point of the vision in the House of the Undying. The writers obviously do not understand why Martin put it there so why not simply cut to the showdown. But that is not the worst. The worst is undoubtedly Sam and the finale. Why would three horn blows foil a shit gathering raid rather than assasination attempt I will never know but then this is problably why I am not writing the series. But why on earth after all those disappointments, budget cuts and other changes we actually get to see the mythical, dreadful, unknown, unseen for millenia Others if all the creative people can come up with are some cheesy B-movie knock-off monsters who squeal like a butchered pig??????? Were they supposed to be scary? They were laughably pathetic even more so than those furballs we glimpsed in the prologue. But my main reason is why they were there in the first place. Can anyone honestly tell me why they are there in the first place??? I can manage some stupid nonsensical magic because of the dragons... but why those clowns????

Gods be good we know that the writers can't see the most important story arc in the whole saga.

Sorry for the lenght of it.

I think expecting the translation of a huge literary work to TV (or movie) to be completely faithful to the book is unrealistic.

No one is throwing their hands in the air and crying for gods. There are really reasonable suggestions. While sticking to the books to every development is not asked, changing good original stuff with some blant stuff out of nowhere is bad. It becomes "A Song of Ice and Fire" - Made in China. I did not think this episode was so bad, certainly not the worst of the season, but lets give this episode and every episode respect with not talking in generalisations and the beaten to death ones.

The Good:

1. The CGI.. Dragons and white walkers were awesome

2. Theon storyline (best done storyline of the season)

3. Everything at Kingslanding (The actress that plays Sansa is underrated)

4. Bran/Rickon departure..

The not so good:

1. Bran in a wooden stroller?

2. Dany's entire storyline/hous of the undying

3. Rushing Jon Snow/ Half hand

4, Brienne's acting

Over all I give it a 7. They tried to squeeze everything into the finale which made the more complicated storylines like Jon and Dany lacking. We didn't need Robb or Stanis in this episode.

I gave it a 7. Thought the House of the Undying was boring (no prophecy) and the burning of Winterfell just confusing. Why would the Bolton's just disappear? Silly. Rest of the episode was ok but underwhelming. Maybe it just suffered from Blackwater being such incredible TV.