[Book Spoilers] House of the Undying

Artemis

I can't have been the only one that was pissed off about how the sequence of events unfolded at the House of the Undying in Quarth.

Besides the image of the Wall and the Iron Throne, did they even allude to the other prophecies/images presented in the book? I don't think they did but I'll have to re-watch the episode again.

No. Just no. I would have liked the episode otherwise but I was still seething about the House of Undying or the lack thereof until the end of the episode.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed. The chapter about the House of the Undying is just about my favorite chapter in the books. It was given short shrift in Episode 10. I guess they did it for financial reasons, having spent so much money on the Battle of the Blackwater. Oh. well, you can't have it all.

The visions they did present were cool, but the whole story-line with the HOTU was already so far off the book it kind of like... whatever! Still, I had hoped for more.

I was really looking forward to the creepy glowing heart in the middle of the dying dining room getting eaten and shredded. That's such a great scene in the book! And the book visions were not just great on there own, but were useful references to future events. Definitely would have liked to see the Red Wedding image, and a few other memorable ones.

Actually everything about Qarth was IMO a lost cause once the writers started screwing with it; often for no great reason as far as I could tell.

The season will remain for me like a Cliff's Notes version of Clash of Kings- maybe Cliff's Notes with an impressionist's lens.

I was sure that even if they cut most of the visions, they'd at least say the "three fires, three mounts, three betrayals" thing. At least the betrayals. Because that prophecy affects how Dany interacts with pretty much everyone (espcially Jorah) from that point on.

I didn't have a problem with the Drogo scene, and I'm sure they put it in because Jason Momoa was so popular last season, but couldn't they have made it 30 seconds shorter and put in the 3 betrayals bit? That was WAY MORE important?

Angry.

They can add the three Betrayals later via Quaithe. Seriously it's an adaptation, it has to be interesting for tv. Dany's Qarth storyline is a snooze fest in COK until the HOTU. Would I like the prophecies? Sure, but they can be added later. Plus we are 5 of 7 books in and none have happened.

One of the biggest letdowns of the season...I mean damn, who cares about some sappy romance with Drogo? I was at least hoping he'd turn out to be some sort of trick. I knew it was going to be bad. And Dany going around stealing stuff in someone's house? OK....also, I find it hard to believe she'd lock up Doreah in there...she is a whore, afterall.

I was disappointed too. I didn't expect all the visions to be there. That would've been difficult for budgetary reasons or because some of them are too weird or maybe gave away too much (Red Wedding). I get it, and the Wall and the Drogo vision worked fine. I can live without the visions (eve though a thought the one with Rheagar and Aegon is important).

What I can't believe is that they didn't mention the prophecies at all. They don't need to spend a lot of money on that. I think they should have at least mention the three betrayals and the three heads of the dragon. Couldn't they had Pyat Preet mention this? As it is, her visit amounted too pretty much nothing. She didn't learn anything and I'm pretty sure nobody thought she was actually going to loose her dragons.

Awww, my biggest disappointment. Prophecies are impooooooortant!

When things start to happen you remember them and go all "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" and that's so much fun.

Really, it could have been a whisper while she was leaving the house, anything...

I knew they'd cut stuff budget and time wise, but I did not expect them to cut so much :/

There was no way that they were going to translate this scene from the books directly into the TV as it was.

It needed to be changed, simple as. The scene in the books is one of the most memorable from a Clash of Kings, simply because it's so ambiguous, confusing, and odd all in one. In short, it was far too complex a scene for it to be put onto TV. It needed to be shaped and changed a bit and that's exactly what they did.

I didn't have a problem with the end product of the scene; as far as the TV show goes, it fit. I would have preffered something more prophetic like in the books, but it was always going to be a long shot that they went that route.

And who would understand that other than book redaers?

It does not mater, for the effort it takes to add one blue flower if 90% do not get it, still worth it. And it will still be a talking point anyway even if no one gets it.

Archived