[Book Spoilers] Stannis and Melisandre

You should at least be happy that the season has been a massive success, because that means the budget will swell while they split ASoS into two seasons. That means we actually will get more detailed episodes, characters, and battle sequences that don't have to be refined to night time attacks to limit scope.

Half of those episodes will revolve around Ros' badass (yet still undeniably sexy) spy adventures in a world of intrigue and eunuchs.

Get a grip. Stannis is a fictional character that his boosters here want to say is a great general and all around shoo-in for the unsullied Iron Crown. So far he is 1*-1 in battles (*victory over Renly's forces enabled by murder of Renley). He is in the middle of the pack of contenders at best.

Stannis is only 1-1 in battles that we readers have personally witnessed. Stannis has a career of victories before we start seeing things from the point of view of the characters. You are using selective evidence in your analysis. Napoleon lost a major battle in his career too. If we started reading about him right before Waterloo, that doesn't mean his past accomplishments go away.

Looking at the big picture, I don't see Stannis as either the savior of the realm or the winner of the throne. If there was any sense in the way Kingdoms are run he would be the rightful heir of Robert, first of his name. Why was Robert first of his name? Because he had rebelled against the last "rightful king." And why was Targaryan the rightful king? Because his family has beaten the last 7 "rightful" kings. Mebe you all havent been paying attention to real life but heriditary absolute monarchy's are for shit. In the Darwinian evolution of human ruling systems how many are left? So Stannis has the same "right" as anyone else...if he can win it, he gets it.

In the final anlaysis the only vote that matter for Stannis, is GRRM's. And I don't see GRRM picking Stannis out of the current contenders. Dany has a better right than Stannis, since her right precedes his. I dont see GRRM picking her either. I wonder whether GRRM is going to let any heriditary absolute monarch win. It would be very cool if he did not.

I agree.

I Love the Book Stannis more than any character in the series, and honestly I've warmed up to this TV Stannis as well, but at the same time my non-book reading friends now think Stannis is evil, re-watching the entire season with them last night, I can see it, and it makes me sad.

Well, after COK I though Stannis was bad news. I really didn't start liking him till he saved the wall.

From Mel's lines "you will betray the men serving you, you will betray your family, you will betray everything you once held dear" I got the impression that Stannis eventually will become the Nights King leading the WW, considering D&D know about how the story is going to end.

What do you think?

I think that when Mel told Stannis he would betray "the men serving you, you will betray your family, you will betray everything you once held dear." We've been operating under the assumption that she's talking about Stannis. Before that, when he is choking her asking where her god is, she replies "inside you." A reference to AA, and I think that might be a reason she didn't fight back during the choke. Whatever else she is, Mel genuinely believes in R'hllor and that Stannis is his messiah, a part of her not fighting back might be that if her messiah were to kill her, it is the will of R'hllor. But maybe not, don't know if I really believe that just throwing it out there.

Anyway, we (the book readers) know that when she's at the wall and asking for visions of AA, all she sees is snow. Now, we were wondering what she meant/how to interpret what she said when she told Stannis you will betray everything, but we know what Stannis does in later books and we know he doesn't really do any of that. Maybe in a metaphorical sense, but that's the best I could come up with.

But taking the interpretation that she's seeing Jon in the fire and doesn't realize it, everything she says to Stannis makes perfect sense, and does happen to Jon. In fact, in this very episode, a mere 10 - 15 minutes after this is when Jon kills Qhorin. Jon will betray his vow to the NW with Ygritte (although who can blame him), he then betrayed the Wildlings by going back to the NW, and the he will seen by some to betray the NW itself in Dance when he let's the Wildlings south.

So basically we have Mel telling us everything Jon is going to do, but thinking it's going to happen to Stannis. I think this might be a really backhanded clue that Jon = AA is true.

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. If she was reading these prophecies it could make sense. She is seeing her visions from Rhollar so I don't see how she confuses who Stannis' image and J. Snow's. She does have several visions about J. Snow. I don't see her visions as this is what happens to AA but what is happening to specific faces she is seeing. So I can totally buy that she misreads Stannis as AA but not that what she sees happening to Stannis is really what happens to Snow.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found Mel's response to choking more interesting. She didn't try to stop Stannis, nor did she coughed or breathed hard after the choking. I think it was interestingly ambiguos if she can even be choked to death.

If you listen to the director's commentary on the finale episode, he notes that there's apparently something behind the robotic, lifeless way Melisandre gets back up onto her feet after Stannis chokes her to the floor. Quite what that 'something' is, I don't know, but if it's been noted...

If you listen to the director's commentary on the finale episode, he notes that there's apparently something behind the robotic, lifeless way Melisandre gets back up onto her feet after Stannis chokes her to the floor. Quite what that 'something' is, I don't know, but if it's been noted...

Creepy! :huh: I'm not in the camp that believes Melisandre is dead, or revived in anyway, but I think she's old. Older than she appears. There's definitely a creepy factor to her.

• 10 months later...

Creepy! :huh: I'm not in the camp that believes Melisandre is dead, or revived in anyway, but I think she's old. Older than she appears. There's definitely a creepy factor to her.

He could not choke her to death, because she is not alive.

That is why Cressers poison did not work on her either.

She is far far older than she looks.

Archived