What unseen character do see playing a huge role down the line?

Angel_gon

Randyll Tarly would be my choice. While it's true he's done some notable things, he's always been acting as a dutiful vassal to Mace Tyrell and has so far shown no real ambitions of his own.

I have a feeling that's going to change in a big way. Perhaps he ends up siding with Aegon in a bid to become Lord of Highgarden. If he can get the Florents to go along with it (his wife is from House Florent and they do have an established, if questionable, claim to Highgarden), he may very well have a force large enough to rival Mace Tyrell's.

If there is one person who can completely shatter the Tyrell's dominance in the South with a single act, it's Randyll Tarly.

I like the idea of Martin continuing his trend of super cool cripples with willas but I feel that any one important in/from the south ( ie hightower, tyrell and tarly, besides dorne ) because they will be preoccupied with euron and ironborn coming up the mander. I think euron is very overshadowed by dany, Jon, stannis, etc. I'm hoping he has some crazy evil stuff going on.

I won't be surprised at all if that Lannister guy that vanished in old Valyria with the Lannister family Valyrian sword shows back up having successfully found the key to defeating dragons in some ruined archive out there. He will show up just in time to turn the tide against the evil and ravaging monster that Dany will have turned into by that point.

Clearly the barely seen character with the greatest influence in the series has been Bloodraven. Think of how very very long we waited to actually meet him in the main series, and how much he has done. He saved Sam and Gilly, and Bran, too. I wonder how much he may have had to do with other events, like in Jon’s lives or in the lives of the other Starks. Remember he watched Ned being born. Why the heck did he do that?

It took a long time to meet Marwyn the Mage, too, despite his having been mentioned a fair number of times. I don’t know how much actual influence he has had though. Nothing like Bloodraven’s, but more than people remember. Marwin taught Mirri Maz Duur, and she killed Drogo and Rhaego, and gave her life to wake dragons from stone, thus allowing magic to re-enter the world.

Marwin also seems to have trained Qyborn, who saved Jaime’s life and limb, and whose necromancy has brought us Ser Robert Strong. Marwyn’s an easy bet for a major player. It’s interesting that he sees more of a sorcerer than just a fire priest/mage (assuming those are different things, too).

Of course, Bloodraven is also a sorcerer, not “just” a greenseer. It makes sense as the series approaches its ending that the sorcerers should have more and more to do. I just wish they were all more like Marwyn and Bloodraven than like Qyborn.

Melisandre and Moqorro both know spells, but is Quaithe actually a sorceress?

Has anyone mentioned Tyrek Lannister yet? There's a whole thread on the mystery surrounding him! Surely, we wouldn't keep hearing about this if it wasn't going to mean something at some point. I also wonder about Gerion Lannister, although that may be wishful thinking, because I hate the way the older generation of Lannisters is falling like flies. Poor Genna isn't exactly in the safest spot at the moment either. Love her.

Howland Reed, our last hope for the knowledge of truths and lies.

Benjen Stark, has not been seen for a while but must be still alive

Greatjohn Umber, not seen for a while but will re - emerge at some point

Blackfish, seen but is up to something big, Jaime Lannister fears him on the loose, that is good enough for me.

Willis Tyrell, The Tyrells may not be the most harmonious family in Westeros.

Jagen Hagar, or whoever he is now, he will meet Arya again

I agree with Willas Tyrell, Leyton Hightower and Tyrek Lannister. I think that even if we never see Benjen again his actions will have an important effect on the North of the wall storylines. Also, I think Jason Mallister who we only saw briefly could play a large role in any future revenge against the Freys.

Archived