Could Melisandre resurrect Jon Snow?

YazzyYaz

Until we see the cold, lifeless body Jon is in a Shroedinger's cat situation, neither alive nor dead.

Wouldn't that be both alive and dead?

Plus, have we not already seen that?

"Finally he looked north. He saw the Wall shining like blue crystal, and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed, his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him ..."

I think it's pretty Obvious that:

1) Jon is dead, but someone will use bloodmagic to resurrect him MMD-style (drogo was completely healt, although his mind was gone). That’s either Mel, who goes crazy and burns someone (with Royal Blood) in order to save Stannis (and as a side-effect she resurrect JS) or Bran who uses Theon’s sacrifice to heal JS or a combination of both

2) Jon’s mind preserved in Ghost is guided back into his body by someone (I’m going for Bran)

ð Since we all think that the title “a song of ice and fire” is about Jon (r= fire and L= ice) I think it’s pretty safe to assume that we are going to see a combination of Ice and Fire bloodmagic to save Jon Snow. I think that Mel is going to resurrect his body (like MMD raised Drogo: physically completely health but not mentally) unintentionally by burning the NW-men who attacked JS or by burning someone like Gerrik Kingsblood and his daughters to aid Stannis in his struggle (or worst case scenario Baby craster or Shireen; but that only happens when they are truly desperate and they think that Stannis is really dead)

Bran on the other hand is going to use Theon’s sacrifice in front of the heart tree at WF (or the small island in the lake before the battle but I think Theon sticks around until Stannis takes WF, he needs to see Ramsay bite the dust to have some closure + it would have greater symbolic value to do it at WF) to guide Jon Snows essence out of Ghost and into the body resurrected by Mel.

And thus we get a nearly new Jon Snow back, he’ll have trust issues of course and he will have lost some of his memories and stuff like that and he’ll probably be bitter/vengeful but we’ll have him back.

I pretty much agree.

I think that Jon warging into Ghost is almost too obvious, it leaves a question as to where Jon inside the wolf could go unless to Bran and the extreme north, removing him from the wall and the north and how does he communicate as a direwolf to bring other characters into what he's seen.

I think there's something to the timing of Theon being 'executed' and Jon being 'stabbed'. What links them? Both are POV characters and I doubt both will just die.

Bran's link to the weirwood network, so far has generally 'seen' things. There must be a greater role for it in terms of magic and for it to 'do', otherwise what is the point of Bran being there? A visit before he reclaims winterfell as the heir?

Mel could revive Jon if dead, but an 'unJon' doesn't serve a reason at the wall, especially if his death releases him from the NW, could that UnJon lead a force south to winterfell and what about how long it'd take to get there. An 'UnJon' might be less killable on a quest to the far north, but how does that serve the plot with Bran already being beyond the wall.

Her fire magic must come into play at the wall, the fire and ice stuff

For me it has to be something else. Theon's arc leading to the wall would take him forward and Jon's story going to winterfell and whatever the outcome of Stannis/the boltons battle would be more interesting than both of them staying where they are. But it'd take a heck of a jump in the level of magic to achieve that.

• 3 months later...

Melisandre can't resurrect Jon. It's been confirmed by the TV show. You're more likely to get Cat resurrecting Jon.

You're joking right? Right?

There's GOT then there's

ASOIAF

Two different entities. It's totally up to GRRM whether Meli's kiss is effective or not. Thoros admitted he had lost faith till in desperation he tried to save Dondarrion and it worked.

Keep an open mind. There's only one person who can decide what will or won't happen, and it ain't me and it ain't you.

Mel is yet to prove that she can resurrect the dead. So far I think it's only thoros, and the red priests/priestesses are all gay and can't even decide on anything lol

Right. She hasn't done it till she tries.

It's either that or Jon becomes a Ghost.

I don't think the kiss of life is a power that every Red Priest. I think it's a power that R'hollor chose to bequeath to Thoros because destiny.

I agree with that, however when I try to view the future situation logically it's all that makes sense, with the exception of him simply not dying. All the other theories I have don't make much logical sense. Jon dies and wargs into Ghost... Ok so a fan favorite is now a wolf? To what end?! Jon wargs into someone else...Ok, so could the real Jon Snow please stand up? Who would believe him? Furthermore what would be the purpose when you already have a way to bring him back to life that's been previously introduced into the books. When I consider my own theories and possibilities I base them off of what's already been shown to us and non cheese ball options :stillsick:

But Mel's never been shown to resurrect anyone. There's another theory although that might be extremely cheesy to some people and that'll require a character to go through some off-screen development, but that's the only one that makes sense to me.

Cat resurrects Jon. Jon is heir to Robb, Cat has the King in the North's crown, Cat has the sword some think is Lightbringer, the sword is traditional Targ colors, Cat's probably been hanging with Howland Reed(her HQ is at Greywater Watch), it's possible that Howland told Cat about Jon's true parentage(meaning Cat no longer hates Jon), Cat's priority isn't only revenge(she's actually looking for Arya if you read in-between the lines) etc.

Of course, it'll take a while for Cat to get to Jon. So I'm pretty sure that Jon's going to sit most of the next book out. And that Mel will be our POV at the Wall for most of TWOW.

But Mel's never been shown to resurrect anyone. There's another theory although that might be extremely cheesy to some people and that'll require a character to go through some off-screen development, but that's the only one that makes sense to me.

Cat resurrects Jon. Jon is heir to Robb, Cat has the King in the North's crown, Cat has the sword some think is Lightbringer, the sword is traditional Targ colors, Cat's probably been hanging with Howland Reed(her HQ is at Greywater Watch), it's possible that Howland told Cat about Jon's true parentage(meaning Cat no longer hates Jon), Cat's priority isn't only revenge(she's actually looking for Arya if you read in-between the lines) etc.

Of course, it'll take a while for Cat to get to Jon. So I'm pretty sure that Jon's going to sit most of the next book out. And that Mel will be our POV at the Wall for most of TWOW.

Is there a time limit on bringing them back? I could buy into the Uncat theory if it didn't involve GRRM saying "surprise Cat was just down the road when Jon was stabbed!"

Slow down, slow down.

Where on earth are you getting all this . . . .stuff?

"Cat resurrects Jon"

- that's impossible on so many counts I've lost track.

"Jon is heir to Robb"

- speculation. We have no way to know what's in Robb's will. How do you know he's not leaving it all to Sansa?

"Cat has the King in the North's crown"

- maybe. How would she have gotten it from the Twins, though?

"Cat has the sword some think is Lightbringer, the sword is traditional Targ colors"

- again I have no idea what you're talking about. What sword? Targ colors? And what have the Targs to do with AA & R'hllor? They were worshippers of the 7.

"Cat's probably been hanging with Howland Reed(her HQ is at Greywater Watch)"

- last we saw CS she was in the Riverlands. How are you getting her way up in the Neck?

"it's possible that Howland told Cat about Jon's true parentage(meaning Cat no longer hates Jon)"

- this much I can buy. If Cat knew the truth about Jon she would completely change her attitude, because he's no longer a threat to her kids. She would probably also want to trumpet this fact to the world if she finds out any of her own kids are alive (she doesn't even know Sansa's alive for sure at this point).

"Cat's priority isn't only revenge(she's actually looking for Arya if you read in-between the lines) etc"

- clearly. Yes.

Right. She hasn't done it till she tries.

It's either that or Jon becomes a Ghost.

Agree with the rest of the post, but the Asha/Theon sacrifice theory or Jon simply surviving his wounds are viable as well.

"Jon is heir to Robb"

- speculation. We have no way to know what's in Robb's will. How do you know he's not leaving it all to Sansa?

I've read that the app confirms Robb naming Jon, I don't have it myself though.

@Honeyed Chicken Ryman had the King in the North's crown with him when Cat kidnapped him and hanhed. It's this exact same crown that Cat's studying when Brienne's on trial.

Actually, it's implied that the crannogmen have allied with Cat's BWB and mentioned that Blac Walder Frey chased her group into the Neck until it disappeared.

AA is a Targ. Or at the least someone who is descended from Aerys and Rhaella. Oathkeepers' blade is black and red. Targ colors are black and red.

There's a GRRM approved app that confirms that Jon is heir to Robb.

Mel could probably resurrect Jon... if his corpse is fresh enough. Thoros did it and he is almost a faithless drunk when he did it the 1st time to Beric, which resulted in a incompletly resurrected Berric.

Miri learned some tricks of blood magic from Marwyn supposedly, and she healed Drogo as a braindead on purpose to exact revenge on Dany.

Mel is very skilled in valyrian blood magic, and she stated that her powers have been increased by her presence at the wall, and probably by the return of dragons.

Besides, dont see why , if Jon is bring back to life, he would be freed from his oath sworn to the NW. As Ed tollet said "dying's no excuse for laying down no more"

If Jon is supposed to be AA, a messianic figure, he will keep on fighting as a sworn brother, not fuckin Jon Targ bullshit.

And why catelyn would try to save him ?. She loathed him since his birth. She and the bwb might take shelter in the neck, but it doesnt mean she befriended Reed. if he meets her, he would probably kill such an abomination. But it could be assume, given the long feud between freys and crannogmen, any opponent to the frey would likely try to escape to the neck.

Nevertheless, she could never reach the north, since the wall is month away from riverlands. She have no knowledge of blood magic. She's a freaking walking corpse, single minded, mentally broken, and with no other purpose than revenge. and freys are the closest targets on her list.

Warging into a different person/ animal wouldn't make sense either. Jon is a valued commander and popular amongst his brothers (save the few who obey to Marsh) and the free folk alike. If he warg on another people, he will never regain his position of power nor the trust of his men.

And possessing a human is utterly difficult, only Bran did it, and the target was a simpleton. A dying people couldnt do it.

Warging in Ghost? useless. And the memory of the human fades over times.

So..Jon is screwed, or Mel could resurect him. Dont think Theon soon execution could help. All the speech to the power of king's blood sounds like a trick from Mel to get rid of potential pretenders.

Archived