(Book spoilers) Who runs the show in Qarth now?

JanusLaurent

Is this thread only got non readers on it?

We never meet them in the show but the 'nominal' rules of Qarth are The Pureborn....

we can imagine they are still there, they actually run the city.

And the two of the main 'guilds' are left also.

The Pureborn command the city's defenses.

Too bad they are not mentioned without ever being seen. (Too many characters for TV as it is.)

Is this thread only got non readers on it?

We never meet them in the show but the 'nominal' rules of Qarth are The Pureborn....

we can imagine they are still there, they actually run the city.

And the two of the main 'guilds' are left also.

The Pureborn command the city's defenses.

Too bad they are not mentioned without ever being seen. (Too many characters for TV as it is.)

in the show, there are no pureborn. there are no other guilds. the thirteen run the city. that's why one of the thirteen is a spicer and one is a warlock.

they simplified it, which was probably a good idea for tv

who run it now? my guess is everyone is going about their business just fine

in the show, there are no pureborn. there are no other guilds. the thirteen run the city. that's why one of the thirteen is a spicer and one is a warlock.

they simplified it, which was probably a good idea for tv

who run it now? my guess is everyone is going about their business just fine

The whole deal on the show is implicit, I don't remember anything explicit about the 13 running everything.

You are right everything still seems running , somebody is in charge of the army (got to more than about a dozen guys!).....

So one is left only with Geroge's description to fill things in .....

I'll go with that.

The whole deal on the show is implicit, I don't remember anything explicit about the 13 running everything.

You are right everything still seems running , somebody is in charge of the army (got to more than about a dozen guys!).....

So one is left only with Geroge's description to fill things in .....

I'll go with that.

the spice king says it when they first appear outside the city

"we are the thirteen, charged with the governance and protection of qarth, greatest city........"

then daeny goes on to mispronounce qarth as if she has read on the big welcome sign as opposed to hearing him say it

Master Blaster runs Qarth.

Also:

DAENERYS: Doreah, go sleep around.

DOREAH: Yes, Khaleesi.

DAENERYS: Doreah, why the fuck are you sleeping around?! You whore! Blood and fire!

Yeah, after what they have been through, I don't buy that Doreah would go turncloak , not buying it, a plot goof.

Anyways, although I found the whole stolen dragons plot a bit tedious, I do think that it is at least internally consistent. I've always kind of assumed at least one of the cities in Slaver's Bay would get the axe for either budgetary reasons, or economy of story. Perhaps it will be Meereen? You have to figure they leave in Astapor (it was name dropped late this season, I believe), and there probably needs to be a city she doesn't sack, but makes free their slaves. She needs a third city to rule. Perhaps they cut Yunkai, and have Qarth be the enemy city; or they cut Meereen and have her rule in Qarth? FWIW, I'd like to see all three cities in Slaver's Bay- before she gets bogged down trying to rule, Dany's story there is pretty compelling.

A Storm of Swords is going to be spread out over two seasons. Unless they want have Astapor take place across S3 and Mereen take place across S4. What I'm wondering is whether they're planning to have Dany hire a ship or have it sent from Illyrio.

That makes little sense. He doesn't have to have a vault overflowing with rare and exotic treasures to be the richest man in Qarth. In a land with no credit cards I don't really see how he could have "hustled" a mansion filled with gold statues, cups and decorations. He was dressed like nobility, lived in a mansion, and had servants and money to host all of Qarth's nobility. He made it into one of the 13. For him to have no magical all valuable treasure in his vault I can accept, but just the cost of making the "valarian stone vault" would not be trivial. To say his wealth was completely a fraud I consider that a poorly written story line.

He's not saying he hustled his physical possessions, but being wealthy and creating the illusion of immeasurable wealth are two very different things. And the Iron Bank does offer credit..

I also don't think he built the vault, how could he of constructed a Valyrian Vault post-doom?

Having the empty vault gives him more social status, which gives him better connections and makes businessmen take him more seriously - Probably gave him the political clout he needed to become of of the Thirteen.

Unrelated to the rest of the story I liked the Qarth storyline better than the books, unfortunately it leaves plenty of plot holes.

I would of preferred it if the fat trader guy survived the assassination attempt and holed up in his manse, allowing him to take over Qarth after PP and XXD die and letting Dany leave on uneasy terms because she inadvertently helped him.

Thought he was a good character, bit of a waste.

LOL I find it hilarious that the "KING OF QARTH" had no guards. How unbelievable is that. Maybe Ros can be a part of this somehow.

You don't hire an army to protect a house that size, 12-16 people would of sufficed.

In Episode 6 the Majority of Xaro's household guard are killed.

Dany has more than enough people to overwhelm whatever Guards remain (I think it's obvious why battle scenes wouldn't be included).

I don't see how this is any different to Jorah capturing Hizadhr (Spelling?) when Dany disappears.

I don't see how this is any different to Jorah capturing Hizadhr (Spelling?) when Dany disappears.

You mean Barristan Selmy instead of Jorah, and that isn't really good example, as he was inside of the castle as a trusted man before he did it.

You mean Barristan Selmy instead of Jorah, and that isn't really good example, as he was inside of the castle as a trusted man before he did it.

Yeah sorry, I still don't think it's a stretch to say XXD's household guard could be overpowered.

You don't hire an army to protect a house that size, 12-16 people would of sufficed.

In Episode 6 the Majority of Xaro's household guard are killed.

Dany has more than enough people to overwhelm whatever Guards remain (I think it's obvious why battle scenes wouldn't be included).

But didn't Xaro have his own household guards killed? As king of qarth, one would think he could afford some new guards. And how does Dany have more guards? Seemed like all of hers died in episode six, since after that she's only ever seen with Jorah and that one Dothraki guard.

I believe she locked her in with XXD because Doreah was in on the theft of the dragons and betrayed Dany.

I'm guessing/speculating that we are going to see Dany in Qarth for a short bit next season as she attempts to leave someone in charge.

Exactly how I see it going. Maybe a scene with Quathe revealing some future betrayal prophecy on Dany. And Greybeard and Strong Belwas intro hopefully as well.

Yeah, after what they have been through, I don't buy that Doreah would go turncloak , not buying it, a plot goof.

After what they had been through? Are you referring to Dany leading them through the red waste and almost starving out? She is a slave girl who hooks up with the king of Qarth seems like what any girl in her position would do if given the opportunity. I know Dany treated her well but she also knew that Dany had nothing and paled in comparison to the power of Xaro. Xaro created an illusion of great power that worked on everyone why not Doreah?

Archived