{Book Spoilers} Dontos Pointless Now

Zappotack

Im ok with LF. Sets up LF using Dontos next season as alternative. LF bumping him off and being behind the escape offer will have a little more foreshadowing.

This is pretty much what I anticipate. Dontos will probably be around for the next session or two as the intermediate between Petyr and Sansa while while the former is off being a magnificent bastard elsewhere.

I don't think they would have gone through the trouble of introducing his character, and Sansa saving him from Joffrey's wrath, for no reason. D&D have said in several interviews that there were many seeds planted in S2 that will take root in S3. Dontos, Mance, the Boltons and the RW being definitely in that category.

The other factor is that Sansa didn't leave KL w/ Sandor because she thought Dantos would get her out. She rejected Sandor on the show for nothing.

Except that it could have been a trap or trick by Joffrey to test her. You can see she thinks about it but then changes her mind. Good acting on her part.

Dontos can still serve a purpose because Petyr can't show his hand. His plot needs Sansa to remain anonymous until he can wed her to Robyn so if he is too overtly involved in smuggling her out then it could link back to him. Using Dontos means that there are no loose ends after he kills him. Varys's birds can't be allowed to see/hear what's happening.

Except that it could have been a trap or trick by Joffrey to test her. You can see she thinks about it but then changes her mind. Good acting on her part.

i guess... but then she says, "you won't hurt me." and he says, "no, i won't hurt you," and walks away. so i don't know that that explanation really works since she sincerely believes he won't hurt her. granted, sansa is VERY wary of any and everyone's attempt to be kind to her, but the hound said something to the effect of "the king can die just fine on his own," which would very strange of him to be bluffing given the nature of the hound, which sansa should know.

Yeah but he needs to build up the trust right? I mean she runs away with Dontos and then it turns out he is taking her to Baelish for some gold and then Baelish kills Dontos. He needs to start planting the idea in her head that he is on her side.

Yeah but he needs to build up the trust right? I mean she runs away with Dontos and then it turns out he is taking her to Baelish for some gold and then Baelish kills Dontos. He needs to start planting the idea in her head that he is on her side.

i was referring to her interaction with sandor.

but yes, i agree that if dontos is going to be her means of escape they need to get that ball in motion.

I do not understand why they introduced him in the first episode and he did not appear since then - even if he appears in the next season again, no non-reader will remember who in seven hells he was.

I do not understand why they introduced him in the first episode and he did not appear since then - even if he appears in the next season again, no non-reader will remember who in seven hells he was.

He appeared in Blackwater as the fool juggling in Maegor's Holdfast. Had about 2 seconds of screen time.

He appeared in Blackwater as the fool juggling in Maegor's Holdfast. Had about 2 seconds of screen time.

Oh, he did? I apologise, I did not even notice him. That kind of shows how important he is in the show. :)

I'm kinda relieved we see no more Dontos in the show. The very image of Sansa laying all her hopes on a drunkard seemed like a bad image for me in the books. Littlefinger, devilish as he is, is quite enjoyable and his plans to take advantage of Sansa's weakness and naivity really underline his character.

Im ok with LF. Sets up LF using Dontos next season as alternative. LF bumping him off and being behind the escape offer will have a little more foreshadowing.

Personally I liked the fact that Littlefinger emerging from the darkness of the ship came as a surprise to me.

Yeah but Dontos was a useless character in the book. I'm not going to miss him.

What?

Personally, I am still optimistic Sansa's story can be done well, but only if they give the viewer the idea that Littlefinger has abandoned her by sailing to the Vale/ ratted on her re. her marriage to Willas. I will be incredibly disappointed if before LF leaves for the Vale, he gives us another "I'll get you home" speech.

Archived