{Book Spoilers} Dontos Pointless Now

Zappotack

I'd expect Littlefinger to use Dontos as a go-between to communicate with Sansa. Let's not forget that Dontos gets Sansa out of the castle in the books and is then killed (or ordered to be killed) by Littlefinger. So I don't see the contradiction there. Yes, Dontos was very low-profile this season, but I don't believe he was introduced for nothing. He will be Littlefinger's puppet (as much as he might have been in the books, don't quite remember now), because to be fair Littlefinger cannot draw attention to his plans of spiriting Sansa away by meeting with her in person. So Dontos will still have a role to play, I am sure.

I think it could still play out like in the book, with Sansa fleeing with Dontos after the wedding,to Baelish's ship before he gets killed. In that case I think the character will need to get more screen time to establish his relationship with Sansa. Remember that Littlefinger will leave KL pretty soon, so he wont be able to bail her out on his own.

Yeah but Dontos was a useless character in the book. I'm not going to miss him.

Not really...he may not have been a sexy character, but he absolutely served purpose in keeping distance between his scheme and his target.

Is he useless next season...no, they still have plenty of time to have him be a buffer, but it loses some of the punch since LF has all ready come out to Sansa. For the rest of the court there still will be a distance between LF & Sansa in the plan, but not for the viewer, which could be very disappointing.

Except that it could have been a trap or trick by Joffrey to test her. You can see she thinks about it but then changes her mind. Good acting on her part.

Dontos can still serve a purpose because Petyr can't show his hand. His plot needs Sansa to remain anonymous until he can wed her to Robyn so if he is too overtly involved in smuggling her out then it could link back to him. Using Dontos means that there are no loose ends after he kills him. Varys's birds can't be allowed to see/hear what's happening.

if she feared a trap she shouldn't have mentioned that she would be safe with stannis

I hope LF still uses Dontos as an intermediary. He travels so much he won't have time for meetings in the woods

The other factor is that Sansa didn't leave KL w/ Sandor because she thought Dantos would get her out. She rejected Sandor on the show for nothing.

Sansa had just been told by Shae, arguably the only one she trusts, that Stannis would not harm her. Everyone thought Stannis had won the battle. Makes perfect sense that she'd not go with the Hound.

I rather think it's obvious that Petyr will use Dontos as his pawn to get Sansa out of KL. They set him up already in a scene that people remember. They repeat part of the scene during "Previously on Game of Thrones" and then Dontos gets Sansa out. Once at the boat Petyr says, "I told you I would get you away." Sansa has an ah-ha moment, Dontos gets his 'payment', and Petyr sails away with his new daughter.

From this episode I take it Littlefinger is taking over Dontos role in getting Sansa out. I guess this makes sense with the show Littlefinger as he is not subtle at all.

In the book, LF uses Dontos to get Sansa out. And given the fact that Sansa didn't seem to trust LF at the end of the last episode, it would make a lot of sense if next season, he again uses Dontos to help get Sansa out. I mean, Sansa will still be there probably all of next season. She doesn't leave until the night Joffrey dies. She still has to befriend Margery and marry Tyrion.

Sansa had just been told by Shae, arguably the only one she trusts, that Stannis would not harm her. Everyone thought Stannis had won the battle. Makes perfect sense that she'd not go with the Hound.

It didn't make that much sense to me that Sansa decided not to go with the Hound. In the book, Sandor is not only drunk, he is threatening and scary. Personally, given the option of fleeing the city with the Hound and remaining and trusting in Ser Dontos, who has already pledged his help in an escape plan, at that point, I understand why Sansa did not run off with the man who had held a knife to her throat.

In both scenarios, Sansa is also painfully aware of the dangers of a city in upheaval; given her experiences in the riots. She has to make a leap of faith either way - that if she goes, Sandor will not hurt her and will be stable enough, though (as I remember) there are still plenty of fires burning, to get her out of the city in one piece despite battle and chaos, and if she stays, Stannis' men will not rape her if they come or Ser Ilyn will not find and kill her first. Sansa has always tended toward caution; (though she does have moments of impulse that she calls 'mad' or 'wild', for better and worse); it does not surprise me that she chose to stay in both instances. But Ser Dontos' escape plan was, I think, a major factor in her decision to tough it out for awhile longer in Cersei's keeping. To remove that plan makes Sansa even more cautious and scared than she actually was.

I imagine that there will be at least a scene or two next season of Littlefinger telling the other Council members that he can guarantee Lysa Arryn's continued neutrality and then his going to the Eyrie and wooing her. They can still have Ser Dontos contact Sansa and be her 'Florian', poor slob. It's a shame that they've totally ruined the surprise 'Gotcha!' moment when LF reveals himself as Dontos' puppet-master in ASOS, though.

Even if they don't use Ser Dontos at all in the next season, he will have served a purpose in Sansa's development; to show that while she was a saddened prisoner, she at least had the compassion and gumption to speak up and save the life of a stranger who was being killed because he was drunk. That Sansa has not become a totally bitter, vicious, backbiting girl in the toxic environment of King's Landing is in itself a victory for her. (though she is more compassionate in the books; and prayed sincerely for Tyrion as well as others, and helped the injured Lancel, even though she counted him as an enemy)

At the very least it was an odd decision to have Dontas introduced in episode 1, rather than delay til next season if he isn't going to appear again until then. They didn't cast Reek, the Reeds, or include Selmy this season, so what was the point of Dontas? Especially if we already know Littlefinger is behind the rescue, when in the books it looks like Dontas is.

Even if they don't use Ser Dontos at all in the next season, he will have served a purpose in Sansa's development; to show that while she was a saddened prisoner, she at least had the compassion and gumption to speak up and save the life of a stranger who was being killed because he was drunk.

The problem is on the show they were fighting to the death and she didn't save the man the Hound killed just prior to that. If Dontos wasn't drunk either he or his opponent was likely to die when they fought anyway.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived