[Book Spoilers] Why didn't the WW kill Sam?

Umel of Ys

No ones mentioned this in any of the threads I've look at so far, but I have a feeling that theres something odd about the Fist of the First Men. Ghost was uneasy there wasn't he? The White Walkers + wights didn't exactly follow and attack the fleeing members of the NW, it always seemed to me that they just wanted them off of the fist. Am I wrong? I know the remaining black brothers held torches to stay together and make it back to Craster's Keep, but it wasn't to keep the Others away. The WW never attacked anyone in the books as far as I remember, the wights did though. So maybe the "prime directive" so to speak that the WW gave the wights was to take back the Fist, not necessarily kill anyone, just whoever wouldn't leave the fist. Which Sam was not technically *on*.

There have been a few threads in the DwD section. It is an interesting theory that goes something like the Fist of the First men has some kind of historical significance to the WW and they were removing the Nightswatch from it. Your right that Small Paul draws and attacks first. It definitely doesn't seem like the WW were actually trying to destroy the NW, simply delay them/hurt them before Mance attacks? Many speculate that the WW are effectively useless beyond the wall as long as it stands and that they Need man to bring it down, with the Horn? Its likely whatever magic is contained within the wall needs to first be broken before they can pass through en force, I suspect they are aware of this but am unaware of their plan.

A sollution i may accept next season: the wight army walks toward the Fist, the first WW stands still at the rock, watching the army's march, and when the last of them had moved along, jumps off his dead-horse and approaches Sam to finish him off, but then Sam defies the WW, jumps up with the obsidian and stabs the Other to death, then escapes and cathes on with the fleeing watchers on the way to crasters / at crasters house.

I can see that.

A sollution i may accept next season: the wight army walks toward the Fist, the first WW stands still at the rock, watching the army's march, and when the last of them had moved along, jumps off his dead-horse and approaches Sam to finish him off, but then Sam defies the WW, jumps up with the obsidian and stabs the Other to death, then escapes and cathes on with the fleeing watchers on the way to crasters / at crasters house.

Yes...except for two major issues. One, that no one else would witness his 'slaying', and the second would be that he'd still be behind the undead mob. Way behind.

It basically confirms my theory that I've been telling you guys for years.. The White Walkers are terribly, terribly near sighted. Perhaps sending them some Myrish lenses would appease them. >,>

Yeah anyway. I thought it was cool to see the various wights, Wildlings, NW, I wasn't sure if some were Thenns or not. I definitely saw some Stark shields in there at the end though. Sort of odd, unless they're really old wights.

Most stories about the Others have proven their capacity for reasoning and thought beyond their seemingly mindless minions.

- The "Night's King" married an Other, if the legend is taken for granted.

- Craster and his daughter-wives are granted mercy in return for sacrifice.

I don't find it hard to believe the Other in commanding from horseback would simply give Sam mercy as a means to another end. i.e., a messenger. Go back to your Wall and tell them "winter is coming". Fear is a powerful weapon. It seems the same behavior was shown in the case of Will from the prologue.

At least until next season, we won't know how deep the writer's dug themselves on this one. I'm willing to let it be for now.

The dead people walking were clearly wights; the riders were White Walkers.

The White Walkers of the books are clearly sentient -- they toy with Waymar Royce; they allow Will (show) and Gared (Book) to go free. Even the wights are either intelligent, retain some memory or are imbued by the Walkers -- the wights in Castle Black go after Night's Watch leadership. They don't indiscriminately kill.

Sam is clearly a coward and is not impeding their direct objective -- the host. He could be left behind to inspire fear. He could simply not be worth the stopping to kill.

Or perhaps it's a giant plot hole or poor execution on the shoot. But there's plenty of plausible reasons why he might live.

There have been a few threads in the DwD section. It is an interesting theory that goes something like the Fist of the First men has some kind of historical significance to the WW and they were removing the Nightswatch from it. Your right that Small Paul draws and attacks first. It definitely doesn't seem like the WW were actually trying to destroy the NW, simply delay them/hurt them before Mance attacks? Many speculate that the WW are effectively useless beyond the wall as long as it stands and that they Need man to bring it down, with the Horn? Its likely whatever magic is contained within the wall needs to first be broken before they can pass through en force, I suspect they are aware of this but am unaware of their plan.

And a horn was found there in a cache of dragonglass.

I agree with the theory about the WW using Sam as a messenger of shorts. The badass dude with the even more badass spear on the absolutely freaking badass horse was probably trying to scare the other ones by letting Sam tell them what he saw.

The dead people walking were clearly wights; the riders were White Walkers.

The White Walkers of the books are clearly sentient -- they toy with Waymar Royce; they allow Will (show) and Gared (Book) to go free.

They don't exactly let Gared go free. He was guarding the horses and may or may not have even seen what happened. As far as I can recall they never mention that he even saw what happened to Will and Waymar Royce, and I could not find any mention of Gared saying he saw the Others in the books. Gared escaping on horseback is not the same as Gared being let go.

It might seem that they wrote themselves into a bit of a hole but I reckon they'll find a way of making it make sense next season.

They wanted Sam in the middle of that horde because, let's face it, it was fucking AWESOME.

Maybe one will attack Sam next season? Where Sam attacks it back with the dragon glass? (But then how does Sam escape through the horde?)

Yeah it's a bit of a mystery but not one that ruined it for me. That horde was awesome.

There is so much more to the Others than we know at this point. Questions like "Why would they require fresh male newborn offerings?" "Why did the Night King marry an Other?" "What is the Great Other and what does it truly want?" There is much and more about them that has yet to be revealed. Until we know more about the mysterious Others, we cannot presume to know their motives or actions. We have no clue why they would pass by Sam so why dismiss it as bad writing???

No ones mentioned this in any of the threads I've look at so far, but I have a feeling that theres something odd about the Fist of the First Men. Ghost was uneasy there wasn't he? The White Walkers + wights didn't exactly follow and attack the fleeing members of the NW, it always seemed to me that they just wanted them off of the fist. Am I wrong? I know the remaining black brothers held torches to stay together and make it back to Craster's Keep, but it wasn't to keep the Others away. The WW never attacked anyone in the books as far as I remember, the wights did though. So maybe the "prime directive" so to speak that the WW gave the wights was to take back the Fist, not necessarily kill anyone, just whoever wouldn't leave the fist. Which Sam was not technically *on*.

Thats why it really didn't bother me when they passed him by. It could have been camera trickery like some have suggested but I somehow doubt that.

The WW attack Sam on the way to Craster's when they are fleeing the Fist. That's when he slays it with the dragonglass and becomes Sam the Slayer.

The WW attack Sam on the way to Craster's when they are fleeing the Fist. That's when he slays it with the dragonglass and becomes Sam the Slayer.

No, he just walks out from behind a bush and stands there, Small Paul charges him, he dies, then Sam charges him. WW didn't provoke a fight, or just straight up murder them.

It might seem that they wrote themselves into a bit of a hole but I reckon they'll find a way of making it make sense next season.

I doubt it. After all, they haven't bothered making sense a lot of senseless things this season.

No, he just walks out from behind a bush and stands there, Small Paul charges him, he dies, then Sam charges him. WW didn't provoke a fight, or just straight up murder them.

Probably, the Other was just stopping to ask for directions to the Wall.

I doubt it. After all, they haven't bothered making sense a lot of senseless things this season.

Probably, the Other was just stopping to ask for directions to the Wall.

My point is, the Other didn't attack first, and we will never know if he would have. They haven't been overly aggressive or anything, only the wights have.

Of course the WW wasn't Benjen, Benjen didn't know Sam, but even if he did why would whitewalker-benjen give Sam mercy but attack the other people of Nights Watch?

Well we don't know whether that WW had attacked other black brothers... This might not be quite as facetious as it sounds because if a WW can have memory it can have a personality (Coldhands in the book clearly has a personality...). Well it's just my view...

BTW on another thread the posters seemed to be adamant that the being on the horse was not a WW but a wight...

Terror is one of the greatest weapons of the Others. It can quickly break the morale of the armies of Westeros. However, most Westerosi don't even believe that the Others exist. Therefore, it's a good tactic to let lone survivors return south to tell the tale. What better candidate than Samwell, who was all by himself, non-hostile, and witnessed the entire vangard passing by.

In short, I figure the Others want Samwell to tell about them for the same reason Israel wants the world to know that they have nuclear weapons.

The White Walker probaly thought Sam was a craven and a weakling who posed no threat on his own and would soon succumb to the elements and become a part of his army. Letting him be torn up by the Wights might have comprimised his later effectiveness once he was dead. I'm sure if Sam had gone after the White Walker with a weapon it would have killed him.

Archived