[Spoilers] The Three Dragon Heads?

Daenerys seems a rather obvious choice so far though whether she does ride Drogon is not completely set in stone. So far we don't know that Drogon has recognized her as his rider. He only keeps an eye on her and transports her from place to place but never according to her will.

And we still know very little about dragons. Are they simply big, magical, fire-breathing, flying lizards? Or are they more? Do they have an intelligence akin or superior to humans? Do they have abilities we do not know of? do they have a goal that they seek to achieve?

The fact that Drogon is black like Balerion the Black Dread and that it is the biggest and fiercest of the dragons is clearly symbolic. It implies that the one who ends up riding him will be the leader of the three heads of the dragon.

The other riders are the tricky part to figure out. One may be Jon if we trust in the theory of L+R=J. But that theory though very popular (I am in favor) is still not confirmed. And there is the possibility that all the heads of the dragon aren't necessarily Targaryens. They may not even have dragon blood. A lot of people seem to think that the three heads HAVE TO have dragon blood. But did the Targaryens not marry people who did not have dragon blood? Did does people not ride dragon's themselves eventually? And there must have been a first dragon rider, did he have dragon blood? Based on those unclear informations the list of prospects is quite long.

The other dragon bloods would be Aegon (if he is truly a Targaryen which is so far not proved) though I do not relish the possibility of a character arriving so late in the story acquiring such an important position in the story. It feels a little too arbitrary to me to just introduce the "missing piece" in this way.

There's the theory of Tyrion being a Targaryen and as much as I would like to see Tyrion getting a little more respect I really can't imagine him astride a dragon's back. I just can't like a Tyrion almighty, it doesn't go well with the character IMHO.

The Martells are possible candidates with Arianne as a favourite. They have strong links with the Targaryens so we can assume they have dragon blood.

Then there's Stannis who's supposed to have a strong link with the Taragryens like Robert so we can assume the same.

Most of the other great houses must have some Targaryen blood as well. Though it is never mentionned that there ever has been a Targaryen/Stark marriage to my knowledge which seems queer.

Then there are other houses which have had interactions with dragons like the Greyjoy's and their Sea Dragon Naga. the skull is still there so we can assume that at least the existence of the dragon is true. And the living flame part of the legend indicates it may not be just an oversized sea serpent. I personally like the idea of Asha being one of the heads but I think the TV Show's treatment of Asha has sent this fantasy down the drain.

Maybe the northern houses with the fabled "Ice dragon"?

Then there are people from places outside Westeros. Descendants of the dragonlords. Or people from Asshaï where dragon's supposedly subsist.

And well, if we start looking at people who do not have potentially dragonblood then every supposedly "Strong" characters is a possibilty. It is implied that only "strong" people can ride dragons.

this might not be the best place for this...but thinking of dragon riders, one cant help think of Aegon...and ofcourse that leads to his authenticity...

i found this section from book 1 where Arya overhears Varys and Illyrio...

"“Before is not now, and this Hand is not the other,” the scarred man said as they stepped out into the hall. Still as stone, Arya told herself, quiet as a shadow. Blinded by the blaze of their own torch, they did not see her pressed flat against the stone, only a few feet away.

“Perhaps so,” the forked beard replied, pausing to catch his breath after the long climb. “Nonetheless, we must have time. The princess is with child. The khal will not bestir himself until his son is born. You know how they are, these savages.”"

reason i bring this up is Illyrio was asking Varys to delay the Stark-Lannister war...and here he mentions that he's asking for time for Dany and Dothraki...no thought of Aegon...

so either

Aegon is their backup plan since Dany is no coorerating which indicates he might be more valuable so they dont want to start off with him

or

Aegon is not of much value at that time since Dany had Khal Drogo and his dothraki horde...

makes you wonder though, they obviously wanted the dothraki to attack westeros...if they were gona play the Aegon card how would it work with Dany being married to Drogo?

third option, GRRM didnt think of Aegon at that time and decided later to introduce him to just mess with everyone...sadistic prik

And why did he give the three dragon's eggs to Dany and not Aegon?

-he pitied her. To Tyrion he said he expected her to perish on the Dothraki sea. Perhaps she was truly a sacrifiece and he wanted to make amends with his conscience? Let the poor girl die but at least she can have an egg to hold and give her some hope?

- he also gave her three eggs: to remind Viserys and Dany of the importance the Targaryans working together? The eggs could have symbolized Dany Viserys and Aegon. Perhaps he was using Viserys and Dany to get Aegon upon the throne and the eggs were a sneaky way to persuade or influence them towards Aegon? A reminder of the three heads of the dragon, the three of them could retake Westeros and do the Aegon the Conquerer again? Viserys would love it if only you could play him: remind him pf three dragons with three eggs? Remind Dany?

-he could have kept an egg for Aegon, or even two. But he did not, he must have had a reason.

And why did he give the three dragon's eggs to Dany and not Aegon?

-he pitied her. To Tyrion he said he expected her to perish on the Dothraki sea. Perhaps she was truly a sacrifiece and he wanted to make amends with his conscience? Let the poor girl die but at least she can have an egg to hold and give her some hope?

- he also gave her three eggs: to remind Viserys and Dany of the importance the Targaryans working together? The eggs could have symbolized Dany Viserys and Aegon. Perhaps he was using Viserys and Dany to get Aegon upon the throne and the eggs were a sneaky way to persuade or influence them towards Aegon? A reminder of the three heads of the dragon, the three of them could retake Westeros and do the Aegon the Conquerer again? Viserys would love it if only you could play him: remind him pf three dragons with three eggs? Remind Dany?

-he could have kept an egg for Aegon, or even two. But he did not, he must have had a reason.

i like that second theory the most....considering how shrewd Illyrio is, it doesnt make sense he would give up 3 precious, HIGHLY valuable eggs, to soothe his conscience...and i defintely believe that he never in a 1000 yrs imagined they could have hatched...

so i liked the idea that he gave her 3 eggs so that when Aegon revealed himself, he would convince them that dragon needs three heads and a sneak way to influence them towards Aegon....

regarding keeping an egg for Aegon...well you never know ;) Illyrio does seem like the type not to "put all his eggs in one basket" :lol:

Are you sure he didn't?

Also remember no one had hatched a dragon egg in forever. When he gave them to her, they were valuable jewels, not nuclear warheads.

Are you sure he didn't?

Also remember no one had hatched a dragon egg in forever. When he gave them to her, they were valuable jewels, not nuclear warheads.

Symbolism may be as effective as nuclear warheads. If she wouldn't have been a Targaryan he wouldn' t have given her dragon eggs but something else very expensive. The eggs were there for her to remember her identity as part of something.

Archived