Poll

greygnarl

Yes.

The idea that GRRM would change something because fans figured it out is ridiculous. What's the point of writing a mystery if you don't want people to figure it out? Also, I would be a little concerned if 15 years wasn't enough time to figure out a literary mystery.

This, basically. Mysteries are meant to be solved. You don't get bonus points for coming up with the biggest "fuck you" shock value twist ending.

And the thing about it being too obvious flummoxes me and makes me wonder if people even know what obvious means. Uh, no. No it's not "too obvious." You know what is too obvious? That Jon's mother is Wylla or Ashara or a fisherman's daughter. Those are actually obvious because they, you know, have explicitly been mentioned in the books. You know what hasn't ever been explicitly mentioned as a possibility in the books? Jon being Lyanna and Rhaegar's son.

Yes, for sure r + l = j. It is by no means obvious. The crowd that frequents this board is self selecting and does not fully represent the broader readership of the series. I'm positive that when this is revealed, it will be a surprise to many.

Also, GRRM is too fine a craftsman to change something as fundamental as that just for kicks, or to feel like he outwitted his fans. GRRM isn't our bitch, and we aren't his either. Healthy mutual respect means that he will craft the story they way he will, staying true to his creative vision and without the aim of deliberately f'ing with us.

Initially I thought no way. This is just fodder for people who like to overanalyze stories to death. But it does have some logic to it. I hope it's not true, though. Jon is one of my favorite characters in this series, but why should it matter what his bloodline is? A person's greatness (or lack thereof) should have nothing to do with who his pappy or mom was. One thing that draws people to Jon is that he had to overcome huge built-in obstacles to his life, one being that he has no birthright, or very little rights at all due to him being a bastard without a mother.

Now at the end, after overcoming this and reaching the level that he reaches completely on his own will and fortitude, GRRM is going to pull the wool over our eyes and say "Jon really has kings blood in him!" Screw that! I could give two squirrel farts about whether he is Targaryen or not. Being a Targaryen has nothing to do with who Jon is, or who Jon represents to me.

Archived