[TV Spoilers] Why didn't the White Walker kill Sam?

Gallant

We don't know what they do to Crasters' boys, do we? Why would you say that?

I always wonder what the WW do with the babies. Do they turn them into WWs and raise them? Do they eat them, sacrifice them, what?

I thought the last scene with Sam and all the others was kind of cheesy. Yeah, it was a big budget extravaganza, but I wish it would have been creepier and more subtle.

And I don't like fat zombies either. Maybe that's my real problem with it.

Guys...

you're all overthinking this.

The White Walker didn't kill Sam because he clearly understood that this guy would make the worst wight in history.

This made me snort and spit all over my monitor. Too funny!!!!!!!

A blue eyed Samwell Tarly approached Grenn, He was wielding his fat, white mast with ease and swiftness.

Would this terrify you?

I would run, but I would probably be laughing. :drunk:

A blue eyed Samwell Tarly approached Grenn, He was wielding his fat, white mast with ease and swiftness.

Would this terrify you?

And then he said... "didn't know where to put it?"

Is this the thread where I can I ask on peoples opinions on the look of the White Walkers in the Valar Morghulis episode?

Sure the description GRRM gave way back when, when he talked of them as practically "ice elves" might stick out a bit much in the sort of low fantasy environment of the TV-show.

Not to mention the costs in dosh and man hours to cgi those reflective armors etc.

But still, in the end I for one was dissapointed on the look of the white walker(or was it just a really old wight? Prolly not tho) He looked way too barbaric and his weapon seemed quite simple, stick with ice and some hempen rope.

Is this the thread where I can I ask on peoples opinions on the look of the White Walkers in the Valar Morghulis episode?

Sure the description GRRM gave way back when, when he talked of them as practically "ice elves" might stick out a bit much in the sort of low fantasy environment of the TV-show.

Not to mention the costs in dosh and man hours to cgi those reflective armors etc.

But still, in the end I for one was dissapointed on the look of the white walker(or was it just a really old wight? Prolly not tho) He looked way too barbaric and his weapon seemed quite simple, stick with ice and some hempen rope.

I myself was extremely disappointed in the Prologue of the first Season, but somehow, this new look we got convinced me. First, yes, I think that ice and misty sidhe with reflective armor would've been hard to do in a TV show (And since they started the show with an episode showing WW, they couldn't simply change the appearance so thoroughly with the new budget), and second, most of the audiences would more easily identify decrepit corpse-like things with blue eyes as dangerous badass beings from Beyond the Wall, than beautiful high elves with shining swords and armor. I totally love the book version, and I'm starting to like the show version too, for completely different reasons.

Really, how EVIL did that WW looked on his dead horse? Those unblinking eyes and that damn warcry! Hahahaha. I really liked that. D.R.

Its not a relective armor in the book.

You should have realized at least that.

Show version looks like frozen Yetti zombies. Not something evil and scary but something ridiculous.

To you, perhaps. Fortunately, that's only your opinion.

Now, for your information.

A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood. It stood in front of Royce. Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.
- A Game of Thrones - Prologue.

The Other slid gracefully from the saddle to stand upon the snow. Sword-slim it was, and milky white. Its armor rippled and shifted as it moved, and its feet did not break the crust of the new-fallen snow.
- A Storm of Swords - Samwell I

I made that text bold because it really supports the show's representation. Martin's later email in which he describes them as Sidhe made of ice certainly is appealing, but in that Prologue, they were presented like they're in the series, much like the Draugr in Skyrim.

A Wiki of Ice and Fire:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Others

So, the armor IS reflective. D.R.

I do not mind that the WW did not kill Sam. What i mind is the fact that none of the wights tried to kill sam. They are attracted by heat. so why they did not feel the heat from sam at all? none of them came toward him. No excuses at all.

I much thought of that myself. It's a mess-up of the producers, I think... not because it's proven that they can feel heat (No proof of that anywhere, only some talk), but because it is stated that they have some sort of intelligence, given that they recognize people they've seen even when warged into animals, like Othor did with Mormont (showing also purpose when he attacked precisely him), or Thistle with Varamyr. I don't think they're so blind that they can't catch the presence of a living man right beside them. The only reason why they would ignore Sam is perhaps that they're bound to the WW's will and thus won't do anything the WW wouldn't command them to do. Since the WW were bent on reaching the Fist, and the only one who saw Sam basically ignored him, it might (however weakly) explain the scene.

Anyhow, this scene was used as a build-up of climactic finale. Remember that the general audience might not have read the books, and so they know EVEN LESS of the WW than we do... And we know very little as it is, xD. So, essentially, this was meant for all audiences, and wouldn't have been the same if there was no character to suffer it, even if it's weird that he survives it. D.R.

• 6 months later...

It made a sick scene. I saw a badass mob of wights led by Others on undead horses. If they had Sam at the Fist, it would not have had that tension and up-close fear of those icy blue eyes. Sam being there just creates tension and a better reason to show the Others and wights up close.

Having said that, I do not like the Walking Dead wights, liked the Other (despite lookinh different from the books). If you make yourself forget everything you know about what will happen (erase book knowledge) then you can see how awesome this scene was for the show. We had no idea the Others had a true army, that they were bold enough to attack a full host (yeah, kinda) of NW men at a defensible position. We also had no idea they rode dead horses so that was sick to see.

It was a good TV scene to create tension and drama. It, however, was not like the books and alters the view of the Others (since they are not know for their mercy) and creates confusion as to why Sam was left to live. I watched the season 1 premiere before reading the books because my friend talked the books up on seeing a GoT commercial. My thought was that they left Will alive so that he could tell the tale. Which made sense kinda since all of world assumed they did not (or no longer) exist. But that would not make sense here. If you kill the main force of the Night's Watch, someone is going to discover what happened (especially since so many men were able to retreat from the Fist, and ravens were there and ready.

Edited for spelling.

What scared me most about the others in the books was not really being able to see them. I liked not being able to see them properly through the snowstorm, just dark figures to fire at. I don't look for things to complain about like some people, but this scene kind of dissapointed me to be honest. It could have been done better with less money, just a load of nights watchmen wating in dear looking out into the snowstorm, wondering what is about to come. This dissapointment applies to a number of things in the second season, although most of it was great.

I do not mind that the WW did not kill Sam. What i mind is the fact that none of the wights tried to kill sam. They are attracted by heat. so why they did not feel the heat from sam at all? none of them came toward him. No excuses at all.

But aren't the wights controlled directly by the Others? If the Others don't want to kill Sam, the wights won't want to kill him as well.

But aren't the wights controlled directly by the Others? If the Others don't want to kill Sam, the wights won't want to kill him as well.

Contrary to what others , seemed to have deduced on this forum, I think GRRM has left it obscure, that there is no hierarchy of Others. Seems to be there is THE GREAT OTHER (obscure , from the books, just who or what that means), his captains , others (lower case o), and the wights (who seem to be ice zombies).

My main hope for the following-up to this scene is a snowstorm... and night falling on the Fist... barely seing the WW in the snowstorm, some fire here and there and total chaos... that would be cinematic...

Contrary to what others , seemed to have deduced on this form, I think GRRM has left it obscure, that there is no hierarchy of Others. Seems to be there is THE GREAT OTHER (obscure , from the books, just who or what that means), his captains , others (lower case o), and the wights (who seem to be ice zombies).

Yeah, but the wights never seem to act on their own. The wight Jon "killed" in S1/AGoT appeared to be on a mission to kill Lord Mormont. He wasn't going berserk on everyone he saw, only on the ones that stood in his way..

Yeah, but the wights never seem to act on their own. The wight Jon "killed" in S1/AGoT appeared to be on a mission to kill Lord Mormont. He wasn't going berserk on everyone he saw, only on the ones that stood in his way..

You know the Wildings mudy know more about the Others than anyone on Westeros (except the Others).

The movement of Others south seems to be driving the Wildings south.

Yet even George on the page has not had the Wildings give a long speel about the Others , that I can remember.

Archived