Was Tyrion a good hand?

Batman

He was great.

Also, nobody mentioned that when Renly died he was the one who quickly held a council, suggested Marg be wed to Joff and sent LF.

It was not like only LF was the one who could make the deal so it is his big credit (but nobody could turn it into his own advantage as he did).

SoTyrion is the main reason why the Lannisters were winning the Wot5K.

As a response to what this thread has sadly been all about:

His biggest mistake was not aranging Cersei to be killed should the Blackwater turn in their favour.

No, Tyrion was not a good hand. He lacks the subtelty and calmness of Tywin. People have mentioned it before, he antagonized Cersei too much. He knew Varys and LF are the main players in the game, yet he kicks around his sister's toady Pycelle for fun. All the while keeping a whore in Red Keep.

And yes, sending Myrcella to Dorne was not a wise move. Doran is by his nature a cautious man, and it was for him to see that he will not be joining the fight anyway. Giving him a hostage was a stupid move.

And yes, sending Myrcella to Dorne was not a wise move. Doran is by his nature a cautious man, and it was for him to see that he will not be joining the fight anyway. Giving him a hostage was a stupid move.

We can say so only in all-knowing hindsight.

Tyrion could not have known he was waiting for Targs to get his vengeance.

I don't think so.

He had some good doing but he made mistakes as well. I think simply taking everything face value that he sais is misleading because he believs he is doing a good job, first time in his life he holds a lot of power so it makes him kinda drunk with it.

Mistakes he has done (and I remember):

- Allowing the clansmen to do whatever they want. They didn't do any order, they just further made people hate him, and his family, and KL was already at the verge of a rebellion.

- The Pycelle LF, Varys probe was actually a really stupid idea from him and he didn't even noticed. The thing is the question he stated there wasn't who is a traitor, but who is more loyal to him than to the Queen. That doesn't mean they are traitors actually. And the resuét was that he caught the most loyal Lannister man. Pycelle who was reinstalled into his position right away.

- Lets look at his justice system. The Antler Men. We learn later that the AM had a huge debt towards the Throne and after they were brutally executed tyrion cannot collect the money. We know that it was Varys who tipped off them, and beside his words there was no evidence about their guiltyness at all. Now what does tyrion do? Whithouth any investigation only based on Varys words, he orders their execution and lets Joffrey brutally execute them. What he achives? Further atagonises his family, the king, and further bankrupts the kingdom, while showing he doesn'T give a damn about justice.

Not a mistake but about the Battle

The thing is he didn't won it. The only reason they won was indeed because the Tywin and Tyrell armies arrived at time. And while I am not a military strategist but weren't his orders about running OUT and attack incredible stupid? Their only chance to win was if Tywin's aries arrive before Stannis takes KL, and tyrion knows this and admits it. So in order to make sure KL is still in their hands, they should have sit on their asses and try to stall the time, not run out and accelerate Stannis's job, he was actually doing a favour to him. Not to mention sending out Sandor was stupid. He knows he is incredibly affraid of fire, so making one of their strongest showing such weakness in front of everybody just worsens the moral. And to keep morality is such a weak excuse. There were fortresses who were held for more than a year in reality, and their defenders stayed inside. I felt like it was an excuse to show tyrion the "man", but to me he came out as an idiot.

Props to the chain though.

Archived