A Time for Wolves was a great title

Stormcloak

Is it just me or is anyone else disappointed that the last book in the series isn't called A Time for Wolves anymore?

I took it as a reference to winter where the lone wolf dies and the pack survives, suggesting the chaos in the Seven Kingdoms by this point where a pack of wolves would thrive like Nymeria's has in the Riverlands, I love that it implies House Stark would recover and be pivotal to the story again before the series is over and all that aside it's just a damn cool title.

I can't say I like the name 'A Dream of Spring' nearly as much, it sounds upbeat and cheerful to me rather than the bittersweet end Martin's talked about and I'm confused about it since I imagine it'll still be winter for the next two books considering how slowly the seasons have changed in the last five and to put focus on dreaming of spring seems a bit abstract.

I reckon "A Dream of Spring" is a very ironic title, since the ending will not meet the expectation of the title.

And "A Time for Wolves" highlights the Starks a little too much, wheras all the other titles have been fairly mutual between the families.

Actually,both associate to Starks. But the former title is bit too Stark-centric. I got an impression that GRRM loves titles that can work on many levels,and are vague to begin with.

A Dream of Spring is also ominous,for it is not A Promise/Certainty of Spring. A dream... dreams can be shattered

A Dream of Spring is a great title. It does not say that spring will actually come and the Long Summer will appear. My guess is that somebody will see a melting icicle at the end of the last chapter or the epilogue and that will be the only sign of the spring ever coming in the book.

Whatever the title is im about ready for some of these brother and sister direwolves to get together once again. The wolves have been pretty much useless for awhile now, lets get them together killing people and showing the world of westeros that the Starks arent so easily dealt with.

Having the starks getting constanly fucked over is getting tiresome, the fuck did the old gods give them these wolves if they aint going to do anything.

I'm not a great fan of A Dream of Spring. It sounds... vague, and doesn't project a sense of urgency or action. I feel much the same about A Dance with Dragons and The Winds of Winter. (I also think it's odd to switch to season-based titles so late in the day). The first four titles sounded decisive, certain and brutal. A Time for Wolves fits that mould better, to my mind, than A Dream of Spring.

A Time for Wolves was probably way too Stark-centric for what GRRM is actually planning.

Even though the Starks will probably play an important role in the book, chances are plenty of other charters do as well. A Time for Wolves would imply that only the Starks are important.

What if, for example, the person most responsible for ending the war with the Others isn't a Stark? Then it isn't really "a time for wolves" at all now is it?

It's just very difficult to judge the merits of a title for a book we know almost nothing about.

A Dream of Spring is a great name to end an epic series, like someone said above: it's a dream, not a promise and dreams can be shattered (promises too but fuck that).

I reckon "A Dream of Spring" is a very ironic title, since the ending will not meet the expectation of the title.

And "A Time for Wolves" highlights the Starks a little too much, wheras all the other titles have been fairly mutual between the families.

Like "A Dance With Dragons," right?

I love the name "A Time for Wolves" and am disappointed it's not being used. "A Dream of Spring" sounds like a Glade scented plug-in that smells like sweetpea or gardenia or something. I almost hope he has to write another book, so we get the "Wolves" title.

A Dance with Dragons,not A Dance with Dragon. The title doesn't envoke Daenerys. Wolves title does,since we know there are Starks,not a Stark.

Besides,we endured 5 books of injustice and tryings of the Starks,which does make A Time for Wolves very Stark-related.

I don't like a Time for Wolves and I didn't like a Dream of Spring for a while either. But then I realized a Dream of Spring would be a great title if, in fact, it was the last book in the series. What if the dream was really just a dream? Winter hits westoros, lots of people die, and the survivors all dream (not literally) of spring coming again. But it never does... :(

At the rate this series is going at, there probably will be a book called "A Time for Wolves" and a book called "A Dream of Spring" and probably another five books of various names.

:D

The final book in the series could still be called A Time for Wolves...if you believe it will take three more books to complete it instead of two (which I really kinda do at this point).

A Dance with Dragons,not A Dance with Dragon. The title doesn't envoke Daenerys. Wolves title does,since we know there are Starks,not a Stark.

Besides,we endured 5 books of injustice and tryings of the Starks,which does make A Time for Wolves very Stark-related.

Dragons = Targaryens in the same way that Wolves = Starks. I recall multiple Targaryens — true or not, acknowledged or not — in that book. So the excuse that "A Time for Wolves" is too Stark-centric when the other titles haven't been house-centric is baseless, considering the title of the last book.

Also ... evoke.

Actually,A Dream of Spring is Ned's wording,when he discussed politics in the North with Benjen,repopulating the gift where the taxes would be paid to NW not Stark family. We don't lose much.

Archived