Joe Abercrombie - Thanks ! [Book Spoilers]

Prince Aegon VI

eta -- oh, and incidentally -- the only reason I found this forum in the first place is that I was searching the net for discussions of Abercrombie's books. So, added on to all his other sins, you can also blame him for my presence here. ;)

Me too!

I found out about Abercrombie from these forums and got the First Law trilogy on audiobook. Some of the best narration I've ever heard honestly, Steven Pacey was brilliant and the books were great as well. One of those times when I was kind of sad when I finished the trilogy because I didn't want it to end.

The two standalone books (Best Served Cold and The Heroes) were awesome as well in my opinion, just finished The Heroes recently actually. Looking forward to Red Country and the return of Pacey as the narrator. The guy who did Best Served Cold and Heroes wasn't quite as good unfortunately.

The guy who did Best Served Cold and Heroes wasn't quite as good unfortunately.

I agree completely. Fortunately, Pacey has now made his own set of recordings of both books. Yippee! Unfortunately, they are currently only available in the UK. Boooooo.

He writes well but it's all so damn depressing.

I mean the characters are well done but they're all such unlikeable arseholes. There's like one guy who isn't a total knobhead, and life predictably shits all over him.

I think the "logical not" in front of fantasy cliches phase lasted until Heroes, which really is IMO a far better work than all the ones that preceded it. Though BSC has a lot of good moments, just the downward spirals feel forced there as well.

Hah, when The Heroes came out in the UK, I was studying abroad and in a bad depression. The Heroes cheered me up immensely. Don't know if that says more about Joe or me. Anyhoodle, yes, his books have some of my favorite characters. Glokta and Calder <333. I'm so excited for Red Country.

The guy who left his own sister with an abuser, then turns into one himself? Oh ya, the likable one.

Pfft, West's flaws were totally tacked-on. Joe realised he was unintentionally making a character who was pretty chill so he had Collem gratuitously falcon-punch his sister in order to maintain his tough-guy-author image.

I agree completely. Fortunately, Pacey has now made his own set of recordings of both books. Yippee! Unfortunately, they are currently only available in the UK. Boooooo.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed when I heard that. Oh well, at least Red Country will be narrated by Pacey for all regions.

Abercrombie reminds me of a younger, less experienced self.

I'm kidding. This is seriously good, no, great. The most important aspect in any book for me are the characters, and his are awesome. I missed an exam two days ago because I decided to stay up all night reading and then slept all morning. Abercrombie is ruining my future and I hate him.

Reminds me of a less romanticized David Gemmell.

I've just finished reading the Heroes (well, almost finished) and I'll put the part that I've just read in spoilers. It was awesome

Where Gorst recognises Shivers and he's asking if he'd ever been to Cardotti's House of Leisure and Shivers just says 'Never heard of it.' Though tbf I loved any part of the book that mentioned Shivers.

• 2 months later...

I have been going through the First Law series the last couple of months. I usually devour books, or quickly dismiss them but I have been trudging away with this series at a rate of a chapter every other night or so. It is has been engaging enough in it's characterization to keep me interested without fully grabbing me to read at a rate where I have blisters on my fingers from turning the page.

I am now halfway through the final book, and the payoff is absolutely tremendous. I just finished reading

The Bloody Nine's battle with Bethod's champion the Feared

I am literally shaking with excitement.

Archived