(SPOILERS) Arstan

Qwop22

Do you think the show will have Arstan and Strong Belwas, and do you think the same actor will play Arstan/Barristan? I would really like to see the scene where Arstan saves Dany on the docks and him and Strong Belwas join her, in the tv show. Also, I would LOVE for them to use the same actor for Arstan and just keep him in a hooded cloak, staff, beard, until the moment of his reveal. That would be such a rewarding scene when he reveals himself.

It saddens me to say that I don't think that we will see Strong Belwas in the show. As for the actor playing Barristan, why wouldn't it be the same guy?

makes most sense that just barristan will come to dany, as you could mostly combine all the stuff strong belwas has done with the stuff barristan has done. Though I'm wandering if they'll bother with the entire arstan thing, or with the scene at the docks, hope they do though

I think Arstan/Barristan is pretty important to the plot. At the end of ADWD Dany is absent when the battle of Mereen is about to take place, who will command the troops during the battle when Dany is with Drogon in the Dothraki Sea?

Barristan/Arstan have to be the same actor. This is one of those times that if they can't get the same actor then they have to rewrite to cut him. Which would suck.

It would be way to confusing for the non-book reading audience to have someone else playing a character that we know pretending to be someone else. I am sure D&D realize this and have it worked into his contract.

Barristan/Arstan have to be the same actor. This is one of those times that if they can't get the same actor then they have to rewrite to cut him. Which would suck.

It would be way to confusing for the non-book reading audience to have someone else playing a character that we know pretending to be someone else. I am sure D&D realize this and have it worked into his contract.

Exactly! If they had a different actor then I think you would have some viewers not even understand who Arstan is supposed to be. "That old knight that disappeared during season 1? Uh, yeah... I kind of remember him. That's the same guy?"

makes most sense that just barristan will come to dany, as you could mostly combine all the stuff strong belwas has done with the stuff barristan has done. Though I'm wandering if they'll bother with the entire arstan thing, or with the scene at the docks, hope they do though

Barristan taking a shit in the direction of a city?

I think they should definitely try to cast the same actor, the actor playing him is spectacular; but honestly I think they could get away with just casting a similar looking guy if necessary. I say this for just TV viewers (I am hardcore book reader), Selmy didn't have a lot of screen time in season 1, so just recasting him with a solid actor they could get away with IMO, without viewers being too confused. I know TV viewers they don't read the books are always quite confused anyway so nothing they aren't used to. BTW this thread made a good point about Strong Belwes; it is possible they the write him off the show and combine most of his actions with Arstan. This will make me extremely sad since I personally really dislike Dany and the only interesting part of her story is the awesome side characters. I am sad already just think I Strong Belwas could be written off.

I hope they'll use the same actor. He signed up for Twitter recently and associated it with Barristan, so I'm sure he'd be delighted to come back for Season 3. I don't think they'll hide his identity, though. Maybe I'm just prejudice on this because when I first read the chapter in ACoK, I instantly got "Barristan -> Arstan" and think the story works perfectly well that way too. If they remember him, it's got that "Ohhh, that's where he went" factor and if they don't, then the reveal will be all the more effective.

I also hope (and suspect) they'll have Strong Belwas. Dany's story arc in the show always has a good chunk of supporting characters and S2 killed almost all of them but Jorah. I think this is setting up S3 with a new rotating cast for her consisting of Barristan, Strong Belwas, Missandrei and Daario.

• 2 weeks later...

If the producers are worth their salt, and I'd venture to say that they've done a great job so far, Barristan Selmy will be played by Ian McElhinny again.

The year and a half gap between filming is a conveniently appropriate gap for him to grow a beard and let his hair grow out a little.

Looks like he just did a TV version of Titanic which if my memory serves me well doesn't lend itself to multiple seasons, so he may be conveniently available for Season 3 shoots this year.

Would love to see him wielding a staff for Season 3 and then picking up a sword again when he reveals his true identity and serves his rightful queen. I always loved that aspect of his character. He has too much honor to even wear a sword unless it is during the employment of his king or queen. One of GRRM's ultimate badasses.

I am more concerned about his voice, actually. He has a special voice, that many will remember from the first season.

Agree, but I think they won't make it to be "revealing". Can't pull it off, at least not for too long, Dany wouldn't trust a hooded misterious man.

Archived