The mystery of Mel and Stannis

MizasterJ

Im very curious..When and where exactly did Melisandre come into the presence of Stannis?

Was she ordered by a higher priest of Asshai to guide him? or was it some other mysterious benefactor that manipulated her towards him?

And why at first was Stannis so receptive to everything she said. Why did he start valuing her opinion?

It just seems very strange to me that Stannis would give her the time of day,with her being such a foreigner.

She turned Selyse to Rh'llor before Stannis. His wife was the one who convinced him to listen to her, once Robert died. He had some pretty serious lingering anger over what Robert gave him after all he had done during the rebellion, and Melisandre is a means to an end. I think he was pretty indifferent to her before it became obvious that she had the means to help him succeed.

I don't think she was ordered by anyone. She believes Stannis is Azor Ahai and she has her own reasons for wanting him to come to power.

I don't think she was ordered by anyone. She believes Stannis is Azor Ahai and she has her own reasons for wanting him to come to power.

Not sure she is who she says she is or that she honestly believes Stannis is Azor Ahai reborn (and I think we've gotten the hint by now that whatever she believes, Stannis is not AA reborn). I think she has evil purposes that involve using Stannis as a pawn.

Makes me wonder if Mel has the power of Hypnosis, or any form of mind control. What else do we know about her powers?

One thing that seems interesting, although it's not where you were going, is that we've seen at least one other Red Priest and he doesn't seem to do the same things Melisandre does. We've never seen Melisandre bring people back to life, like Thoros has. Thoros also doesn't seem to show a penchant for burning people alive. Melisandre uses shadow baby things that both Catelyn and Davos get an unmistakably evil vibe from. (Although Thoros is a man and can't give birth so that might explain why he doesn't use those things or ever mention them.) Melisandre herself makes people uneasy while we don't get the same idea about Thoros. The only thing they have in common is that they can both see things in flames. But--and correct me if I'm wrong--I think we've seen proof of Thoros' visions being correct, while events seen in Melisandre's flames have yet to materialize. I don't think Melisandre really does work for the Lord of Light.

. I don't think Melisandre really does work for the Lord of Light.

Interesting point, and im starting to get the same notion based on those comparisons of her to Thoros.

I think in Stannis she sees a desperate man and a man with little to no compassion , therefore he is just the "pawn" shes been hoping for.

If Thoros and Melisandre were to meet, i wonder how they would perceive each other.

One thing that seems interesting, although it's not where you were going, is that we've seen at least one other Red Priest and he doesn't seem to do the same things Melisandre does. We've never seen Melisandre bring people back to life, like Thoros has. Thoros also doesn't seem to show a penchant for burning people alive. Melisandre uses shadow baby things that both Catelyn and Davos get an unmistakably evil vibe from. (Although Thoros is a man and can't give birth so that might explain why he doesn't use those things or ever mention them.) Melisandre herself makes people uneasy while we don't get the same idea about Thoros.

The last thing is, of course, the personality. In both cases, we must see that they are also in different situations. Thoros also does not resurrect everyone, only Dondarrion. Maybe Melisandre would resurrect Stannis if it came to that, but not anybody lesser (what reason would she have to?). Also, of course, being servants of the same god does not mean automatically that they would have the same powers. And, like I said, even if they had them both, they might not use all of them - depending on their own personality. So I don't see anything too strange about this. In fact, like you said, there is even a proof of them having something in common - seeing things in flames. Which is quite enough for me.

The only thing they have in common is that they can both see things in flames. But--and correct me if I'm wrong--I think we've seen proof of Thoros' visions being correct, while events seen in Melisandre's flames have yet to materialize. I don't think Melisandre really does work for the Lord of Light.

We haven't? What about the leeches thing?

The last thing is, of course, the personality. In both cases, we must see that they are also in different situations. Thoros also does not resurrect everyone, only Dondarrion. Maybe Melisandre would resurrect Stannis if it came to that, but not anybody lesser (what reason would she have to?). Also, of course, being servants of the same god does not mean automatically that they would have the same powers. And, like I said, even if they had them both, they might not use all of them - depending on their own personality. So I don't see anything too strange about this. In fact, like you said, there is even a proof of them having something in common - seeing things in flames. Which is quite enough for me.

Well, the examples I gave might not prove anything in themselves, but when you put them together with this unshakeable evil vibe about Melisandre that Thoros does not have, I think it gives the impression that the two are not working toward the same thing. I don't recall anything about leeches, I'll give you that one.

Hypnosis? Providing George R.R Martin approved that scene between Melisandre and the Mannis in the last episode of season two, I think I can disagree with the idea of hypnosis;

Mel: Choke me, Stannis.

Stannis: K. *Chokes*

Mel: *Utters short yet profound sentence about fire in Stannis and have him develop more faith in you, despite the fact that he's kind of under mind-control*

So, I think not. ;)

Well, the examples I gave might not prove anything in themselves, but when you put them together with this unshakeable evil vibe about Melisandre that Thoros does not have, I think it gives the impression that the two are not working toward the same thing. I don't recall anything about leeches, I'll give you that one.

I don't think they are working towards the same thing, but I think that does not rule out both of them claiming (or even believing) to follow Rh'llor. Melisandre can be just misinterpreting what Rh'llor would/would not do and acts according to her personal moral compass, likewise Thoros. But yes, in fact, that effectively implies that "objectively" - if Rh'llor "exists" - they possibly are not "powered by" the same entity. Yet still they may both believe they are, and also, there is no denying there are some abilities they have in common - like the seeing future in the fire, which, given the element present (fire, a thing closely attributed to Rh'llor), is sort of significant.

With the leeches, I was referring to the rather suspicious death of certain crowned people... does it ring the bell?

Am I the only one who believes that Danny is the true Light Bringer and hope against the others, like if Dragon glass is the others weakness than Dragons themselves is much better than some glowing sword (which they haven't done in the show which is kinder disappointing).

it sounds like you're bringing into this a bias in which you want thoros and melisandre to be these innocent followers of r'hllor. both of them seeing things in fire doesnt prove this in the slightest. i've been thinking maybe melisandre is the evil force she mentions is looming. she does give birth to shadows, the opposite of light. there is no denying they both have supernatural abilities. maybe thoros is an innocent red priest but i think melisandre is anything but.

Am I the only one who believes that Danny is the true Light Bringer and hope against the others, like if Dragon glass is the others weakness than Dragons themselves is much better than some glowing sword (which they haven't done in the show which is kinder disappointing).

Yep, I think Dany is the true Azor Ahai reborn and her and her dragons will have to fight the Others. It's strongly hinted that Stannis' sword is not the true Lightbringer and that Melisandre is just using magic to make some regular sword glow.

Archived