Jaimie, Brienne, jon snow and SToneheart predictions in the tWoW

PromisedPrince

One correction. Thoros was not sent to convert Robert Baratheron. He was sent to convert Mad King due to the latter's fascination with fire. So, since the assumption of the Red lot was that Mad King loves fire, they would send someone who is highly proficient with the fire magic, and not someone who drinks like a fish

So, essentially, Thoros was at the King's Landing way before Baratheon rebelled. He remained there after the fall of Targs, serving King Robert now, and waiting for the perfect moment to initiate red agenda. Such moment came with the BwB.

The members of BwB converted to red religion precisely because of Thoros' powers. This is what he is saying:

The initial company sent out by Ned to execute the Mountain consisted of 120 men. Out of those, approximately 10 were recruited by each of the appointed lord. So, Beric's own sworn soldiers are very limited in number. And very few of those remaining in the Brotherhood now, as more than 80 are already dead. This is confirmed by Beric himself:

Well, if the question is "Where would the most powerfull priest be sent?", I assume it has to be checked against the timeline. If Thoros were already sent to the KL during Mad King times, it means that the strongest priest is already acting in Westeros. So, whoever made a decision to send another red priest to Dany, must have done so based on what was left for him to command. Effectively, if Moqorro were sort of second best, then he ended up travelling to Dany. Mel seems to have travelled to Stannis on her own will follownig certain conflict with her own red brotherhood. So, we may not draw conclusions on her competitivenes from the fact of how Red priests are assigned their tasks. Though, it must be stated, that from Mel's own POV it seems that her fire magic rather relies on utilities (blood, powders, flasks, general stuff that she hides in the coffer), and not prayer, or exceptional magical strength. Contrary to this, neither Thoros, nor Moqorro seem to have any "helpful" tricks to assist them with magic.

If one were to "grade" the performce of three priests known to us, well, Thoros gets 10 for ressing people through prayer. Moqorro gets 8.5 for restoring body parts, and Mel gets 5 for temporarily birthing Stan's shadow.

If we go back on topic. Notice how Beric is wearring the starry black cloak. We may yet see it in action...

I agree that Thoros was sent to try and win Mad Aerys II to R'hllor, but I think even that was more of a beneficial side effect than the main reason.

From ASoS, chapter 43, ARYA:

“That was unkind.” Thoros chuckled. “True, but unkind. Who was this master of yours? Did I know you, boy?”

“I was ’prenticed to the master armorer Tobho Mott, on the Street of Steel. You used to buy your swords from him.”

“Just so. He charged me twice what they were worth, then scolded me for setting them afire.” Thoros laughed. “Your master had it right. I was no very holy priest. I was born youngest of eight, so my father gave me over to the Red Temple, but it was not the path I would have chosen. I prayed the prayers and I spoke the spells, but I would also lead raids on the kitchens, and from time to time they found girls in my bed. Such wicked girls, I never knew how they got there.

“I had a gift for tongues, though. And when I gazed into the flames, well, from time to time I saw things. Even so, I was more bother than I was worth, so they sent me finally to King’s Landing to bring the Lord’s light to seven-besotted Westeros. King Aerys so loved fire it was thought he might make a convert. Alas, his pyromancers knew better tricks than I did.”

Where I disagree with you is when you say Thoros had been waiting for the perfect moment to initiate his red agenda. I don’t think Thoros had an agenda at that point. I believe Robert and Thoros really struck up a camaraderie, they liked the same things, and they became drinking buddies. I think Thoros doesn’t have much of a purpose, or objective, or true devotion (for lack of a better term) until Beric dies the first time, and he accidentally brings him back while performing the (ordinary) last rites of R’llor.

From ASoS, chapter 39, ARYA:

“Could you bring back a man without a head?” Arya asked. “Just the once, not six times. Could you?”

“I have no magic, child. Only prayers. That first time, his lordship had a hole right through him and blood in his mouth, I knew there was no hope. So when his poor torn chest stopped moving, I gave him the good god’s own kiss to send him on his way. I filled my mouth with fire and breathed the flames inside him, down his throat to lungs and heart and soul. The last kiss it is called, and many a time I saw the old priests bestow it on the Lord’s servants as they died. I had given it a time or two myself, as all priests must. But never before had I felt a dead man shudder as the fire filled him, nor seen his eyes come open. It was not me who raised him, my lady. It was the Lord. R’hllor is not done with him yet. Life is warmth, and warmth is fire, and fire is God’s and God’s alone.”

Archived