Stannis and Tywin?

Batman

Renly was charming and handsome. People tend to think that makes a great king. Stannis is cold. A king needs to be loved or feared. Renly was loved. Tywin was feared. Stannis is just disliked.

Stannis has one major victory, against a group of people that were completely unfamiliar with heavy cavalry and columns of knight, not to mention they were part refugee convoy, part army.

He played a huge role in putting down Balon's rebellion, as well as winning Robert's.

Stannis has one major victory, against a group of people that were completely unfamiliar with heavy cavalry and columns of knight, not to mention they were part refugee convoy, part army.

He crushed the Iron refugee convoy Fleet with columns of knights? :)

Greyjoys, wildlings, Storms End, Deepwood Motte. Mostly Stannis can hang his hat on destorying the Iron Fleet. Thats like beating Rafa Nadal at the French Open, its almost impossible.

On land Stannis isn't half of the military leader that Tywin is. How many songs does Stannis have about him crushing his enemies?

I was responding to Batman's response to this. But fair enough, I need to go back and check things like Deepwood Motte.

Renly was charming and handsome. People tend to think that makes a great king. Stannis is cold. A king needs to be loved or feared. Renly was loved. Tywin was feared. Stannis is just disliked.

Stannis is respected by Tywin, feared by Cersei and disliked by Mace Tyrell (he embarrased him after all)

Stannis is respected by Tywin, feared by Cersei and disliked by Mace Tyrell (he embarrased him after all)

Yes, but because of Robert neutering him, there was little power behind these emotions. So he's less of a threat than Tywin.

I meant by the people of Westeros as a whole. Robert was a shitty king, but the people loved him.

I meant by the people of Westeros as a whole. Robert was a shitty king, but the people loved him.

Fear can be easily achieved, a few of Melisandres burnings would inspire fear in the common people. No one wants to die like that.

The majority of character are less of a threat than Tywin.

True. But even putting aside Tywin, Robert throwing Stannis to Dragonstone made him much less of a threat in the game than he should have been.

True. But even putting aside Tywin, Robert throwing Stannis to Dragonstone made him much less of a threat in the game than he should have been.

I agree with that, Robert tried to cut his balls off. Giving him the weaker seat diminished his standing.

Ok but alienating your people is a very easy way to get them against you (Jon at the Wall for example).

Or by mistreating your dwarf son and having his commoner wife raped and called a whore......

Similarly, he goes no and on about a man's duty to his brother, while he abandoned Robert at the first sign of danger, leaving him to a probable death at the hands of his unfaithful queen. He rails against Robert's sexual promiscuity and tells Jon than Ned Stark "dishonored" Cat with his presumed single infidelity, all while carrying on a blatantly sexual affair with a gorgeous young priestess right under his wife's nose, in hr own home and while he is traveling with her. Also, clearly pretty much everyone knows Stannis and Melisandre are lovers, which seems pretty "dishonorable" to Selyse. (Though perhaps Stannis, along with readers, assumes that Selyse doesn't count while Cat does because Selyse is ugly and Cat is hot???) Finally, Stannis says he believes in justice and each man must get what he deserves; yet he has repeatedly noted his intention to kill Cersei's "abominations" as soon as he is able to. Finally, he says himself that, "No good deed can cancel out a bad one," yet he is willing to murder his nephew "for the greater good."

Finally a true description of Stannis' utter delusional self, thank you :bowdown: :bowdown:

Finally a true description of Stannis' utter delusional self, thank you :bowdown: :bowdown:

But what if his Queen approves of it for his cause? She is quite fond of Lady Melisandre and seems to be a complete idiot as well.

ETA: I don't think so, but it is certainly possible.

But what if his Queen approves of it for his cause? She is quite fond of Lady Melisandre and seems to be a complete idiot as well.

ETA: I don't think so, but it is certainly possible.

Stannis' abandonment of KL in aGoT seemed self serving and cowardly to me.

Archived