Done with ASOS should I just read the wiki for AFFC?

Mormont'sRaven

Title says it all.

My friends say AFFC is drawn out and horribly boring; it's only decent when you skip the Dorne chapters.

Are they right?

I'm tempted to just read the wiki pages for those books and save myself so many hours of reading and get back to being productive LOL.

So much depth in AFFC. I don't know how you can justify "skipping it." The stories in Dorne and the Iron Islands introduce important players in the game. Jaime's arc is fascinating and Cersei's is infuriating. I will give you some advice regarding the Brienne chapters: they aren't really about Brienne.

I will say that I liked AFFC more on my second read through.

Definitely not. The beginning of AFFC is quite interesting (due the events in the end of ASOS). Then the book starts to go slow, especially Brienne's chapters. However, on the second half, it starts to get more and more interesting. So, if you like the series, don't do that.

For one thing, Cersei's chapters are amazing. And the evolution, really good as it gets darker and darker. People usually say AFFC is not good as the other books, but it is still an amazing reading.

I'm excited to learn more about Dorne. What're the issue with those chapters?

If you read the wiki for the earlier books you see how much is left out. It's better to read AFfC, so as not to miss any of the juicy details GRRM loads each book with.

I'm excited to learn more about Dorne. What're the issue with those chapters?

If you read the wiki for the earlier books you see how much is left out. It's better to read AFfC, so as not to miss any of the juicy details GRRM loads each book with.

The issue with the Dorne chapters IMO is that the POV switches between several different characters, breaking the pattern GRRM had set in the previous books. The Iron Islands chapters have the same fault. It's hard to get invested in Ser Arys or Areo Hotah or Arianne if they only get 1 chapter apiece.

I took a long break after ASOS before reading AFFC because what I'd heard about how slow paced and boring it is really put me off. I recently started reading it and I've actually really enjoyed it so far (I'm about 300 pages in), I think Brienne, Cersei, and Jaime have had the best chapters so far, and eventhough there has only been one, I really enjoyed Sansa's chapter.

My only problem with it has been the amount of new characters getting POV's and not really hearing much from other important characters like Sansa (mentioned above), plus Arya, Bran, Jon, Theon... still, etc, but I'm hoping at least two or three of those will get more chapters later in the book.

And I might aswell ask it here, why are characters like Yara, Hotah, and Aerys' chapters not labelled underneath their own name (The Captain of Guards, The Krakens Daughter, etc)?

I wouldn't advise that. I read AFFC recently and really enjoyed it. The Dorne chapters were some of my favorites personally, Jamie is greaT, and some pretty big things happen, setups for the future. You really would miss out IMO.

Friends tend to look alike so maybe you'll find the book just as boring as they did. If GRRM marks your first serious entry into the fantasy genre and your friens regret reading it, it would be rational to skip it. You're more likely to agree with them than this board :) .

But in all honesty, this thread is kind of futile. Did you expect people to say that you should just skip A feast for Crows? You're on a asoiaf forum, with fans so dedicated that they named their dog Clegane

I My only problem with it has been the amount of new characters getting POV's and not really hearing much from other important characters like Sansa (mentioned above), plus Arya, Bran, Jon, Theon... still, etc, but I'm hoping at least two or three of those will get more chapters later in the book.

You don't hear about them in this book. GRRM left a note at the back explaining it. Jon, Bran, Dany etc come in DWD.

The Greyjoys are tiresome though, but just power through.

I'm less than 100 pages in and I'm getting sick of the Greyjoys. I get it, you like the sea. I hate to criticize GRRM's writing but I think the editor could have taken out about 55 references to the Greyjoys' reverence for the ocean and I would still feel like I'm being beaten over the head with it.

Nonetheless, I can't judge AFfC just yet. Even if it turns out to be the weakest of the series I think it will have been worth it to read it even if just for all the extra information and backstory for theories.

What is it with so many people wanting to skip books? I'm shocked.

In case that wasn't clear - no, don't skip the book. Don't skip any books. I had to read them all twice to get everything, plus come on here and check things out on the wiki. But if you're not as obsessive as I am, I guess you can skip a book. You're missing out, though.

Archived