Youtube Videos.

Horus Ex Machina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Insane, fan-made short video bringing to life moments and scenes from Peter Watts' Blindsight. They were apparently working on it for about four years. There's also a website with a lot of information about the project, including why and how certain things were designed as they were based on interpretations from the novels (with fresh input from Watts, as well, helping to guide them). Quite stunning stuff.

I wonder if this trend will become mainstream. Even if a source never gets adapted how useful could a visual trailer be for a novel? I can think of several novels I'd like to see professional level fan trailers for.

Another fan made trailer, ZVP. This one's been out a while but still worth revisiting. It's a bit long but eventually reveals itself as a trailer, hence the title, albeit a mash-up one... and boy is it bonkers!

The guy playing Zatoichi does an amazing job capturing Shintaro Katsu's ticks for the character. I felt dumb not recognizing what the title suggested the mash-up was going to be. Fun idea, and surprisingly well-done for a fan effort.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nicely done.

"An astronaut encounters a terrifying anomaly approaching the International Space Station."

Decommissioned is directed by Australian filmmaker Josh Tanner of Perception Pictures, written by Josh Tanner & Jade van der Lei, produced by Jade van der Lei & Danielle Redford.

With cinematography by Jason Hargreaves, and music composed by Ack Kinmonth & Stevan Markovic. Josh explains to make this they used the "Unreal Engine tech that The Mandalorian used, although we used rear projection instead of the fancy LED walls they used on that." There was no green screen, it was projected right on the background of the set.

Interesting, I wonder if green screens are finally on the way out.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I’m not exactly sure what to call what it is I generally look for on YouTube, but I love discovering interesting mini-documentaries about pretty much any subject. Adam Neely has this excellent video on a particular jazz solo, but ends up getting really in depth about what it is about music that connects with an audience:

Trekspertise is a fantastic Star Trek channel, and their review of Lower Decks delves into what it is about all Trek that resonates with them:

And the great Lemmino, who researches random mysteries and produces some superb videos.

Love to hear of any other YouTubers who can hit these heights, engaging, well produced, insightful, interesting stuff on any topic really.