Youtube Videos.

Horus Ex Machina

Posting this here as it's often the de-facto short film thread. This one, though it has note worthy animation, is a PSA intended to confront a voting consciousness into action.

"In France, a child who reports sexual abuse committed by a family member must testify in court that they did not give their consent. This film calls upon French citizens to help change the law by signing a petition."

Alas, my Google-fu fails me and I can't find if it was successful and the law amended.

For those in the US (and maybe Canada), the first episode of It's a Sin, Russell T. Davies's miniseries about the AIDS crisis in the UK in the 1980s, is out on Youtube. The rest of the episodes are on HBO Max. Highly recommended, it's very good.

Note: None of the episodes are what I would call "safe for work"

7 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Call Sundar Pichai. Tell him you have a recommendation from someone from where he is 

Apparently its too early. The PSA short film is only for a petition at this stage.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

For those in the US (and maybe Canada), the first episode of It's a Sin, Russell T. Davies's miniseries about the AIDS crisis in the UK in the 1980s, is out on Youtube. The rest of the episodes are on HBO Max. Highly recommended, it's very good.

Note: None of the episodes are what I would call "safe for work"

Will have to check this out. Considering Russel T. Davies wrote the excellent Years and Years I'll know to steel myself for a grim experience.

For those in the US (and maybe Canada?) Youtube Movies has made John Carpenter's classic adventure Big Trouble in Little China free on the service, at least for some period of time I guess:

https://youtu.be/Vx5lkGS4w30

For the hardcore, there's also the commentary that you can play in a separate tab, which is great as a way to hear Carpenter and Russell shoot the breeze, but not-so-great if you want them to focus on the film (they go on long tangents quite often):

On 3/10/2021 at 2:52 PM, Ran said:

For those in the US (and maybe Canada?) Youtube Movies has made John Carpenter's classic adventure Big Trouble in Little China free on the service, at least for some period of time I guess:

https://youtu.be/Vx5lkGS4w30

For the hardcore, there's also the commentary that you can play in a separate tab, which is great as a way to hear Carpenter and Russell shoot the breeze, but not-so-great if you want them to focus on the film (they go on long tangents quite often):

One thing that I read about Big Trouble in Little China that I really appreciated is that in this movie, Kurt Russell's Jack thinks he's the hero, because he's the muscley white guy in an 80s action movie.  But he's actually the comic relief character - he's always getting beaten up, his ideas are bad, and he rarely accomplishes anything.  Instead it is his short, unassuming Chinese friend Wang who is the actual hero driving the plot. 

41 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

One thing that I read about Big Trouble in Little China that I really appreciated is that in this movie, Kurt Russell's Jack thinks he's the hero, because he's the muscley white guy in an 80s action movie.  But he's actually the comic relief character - he's always getting beaten up, his ideas are bad, and he rarely accomplishes anything.  Instead it is his short, unassuming Chinese friend Wang who is the actual hero driving the plot. 

Yep! He's the meathead sidekick in the story. He gets prominent billing and the memorable introduction scene for his character because that sells the movie to theatres, but he really steps back a bit when the story really gets going.

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Yes, they actually mentioned that right in the first few minutes of that commentary track Ran linked to.

• 2 weeks later...