Views on Stannis.

What our peoples views on Stannis Baratheon? I, for one, love him, was so distressed when he was defeated at Blackwater, but I loved it when he came to the rescue of the Night's Watch.

However, my Mum, who to be fair, has not read the books, hates Stannis and so do a lot of other people, they think he is cruel and so on. I think he's awesome, bound by loyalty and duty, he is also a very fair man. Plus, I love Davos too.

Are there any Stannis haters out there?

What our peoples views on Stannis Baratheon? I, for one, love him, was so distressed when he was defeated at Blackwater, but I loved it when he came to the rescue of the Night's Watch.

I've always liked Stannis for his hard ass mentality and stone cold views on justice (the guy also has a great dry sense of humor whether he means it or not), but this is what made me absolutely love him.

Stannis is one of my favorite characters.

I did not have any special feelings about him in the beginning. He absolutely won my heart by coming to the Night's Watch (even Melisandre almost did, even though I really don't like her. Partially also because of what she does to Stannis, how I think she manipulates him). In the series, I really pitied him when he lost at Blackwater (though in the books I think I didn't).

Ser heathcliff-

I didn't feel for stannis that much DURING his loss at Blsckwater either. Probably because we didn't see him at all, none of the POVs interacted with him, which was a disappointment.

I felt for him AFTER though. In his first appearance of ASOS sitting in his 'throne room,' Davos' description made me feel.

I think he's great, to be honest I preferred him in the war to Robb.

I think a lot of the hatred comes from Blackwater as Tyrion is everyone's favourite character so they wanted Stannis to loose despite Cersie and Joffrey being arseholes

Do you think then that those who watch the TV show really miss out on a lot. So therefore they have different characters they like. Davos, soon became my favourite character after about 2 chapters, yet my parents (who only watch the show) didn't even know who he was, well until I named the actor anyway. Then again, from the TV show I actually love Varys and I grew to like Tywin in the show, when I know I should despise him.

Stannis would be one of the best characters if it wasn't for Melisandre. I'm soo angry when he listens to her. I think she's the most annoying character in the books...I sometimes get the impression that Stannis is not actually sure if he wants to do as she says but eventually he gives up to her persuasions. That's when I usually scream "No, you stupid man, she doesn't now what she's doing herself!!"

Stannis is Blunt Justice! However, he is more suitable for a king than his late brother Renly or that sadistic abominiation of incest Joffrey. He knows about warfare and he is a soldier, which is crucial for this perilous turmoil that Westeros is facing!

He went North in order to win the Northmens' support since there is no King in the North and no Stark in Winterfell.The rescue of the Night's Watch was not a noble cause. Nevertheless we have to outline that he was THE ONLY ONE who answered their call!

I prefer the Stannis from the books to the one of the show! He's bitterness towards his brothers is totally understandable. He shouldn't have kept Mel so close though! And murdering his brother is not acceptable for a man as honourable as Stannis Baratheon claims to be!

Do you think then that those who watch the TV show really miss out on a lot.

Yeah, I think so. I find that Stannis more well defined a character in the books. We get more insight to his personality and what drives him. This goes for a good amount of characters on the show, to no surprise, really.

Stannis would be one of the best characters if it wasn't for Melisandre. I'm soo angry when he listens to her. I think she's the most annoying character in the books...I sometimes get the impression that Stannis is not actually sure if he wants to do as she says but eventually he gives up to her persuasions. That's when I usually scream "No, you stupid man, she doesn't now what she's doing herself!!"

I can't tell yet if Melisandre actually enhances Stannis as a character, or detracts from Stannis as a character. I also can't help but wonder if she is eventually going to get Stannis killed, or if Stannis will kill Melisandre because he feels he was betrayed by her, or something.

Stannis is Blunt Justice! However, he is more suitable for a king than his late brother Renly or that sadistic abominiation of incest Joffrey. He knows about warfare and he is a soldier, which is crucial for this perilous turmoil that Westeros is facing!

He went North in order to win the Northmens' support since there is no King in the North and no Stark in Winterfell.The rescue of the Night's Watch was not a noble cause. Nevertheless we have to outline that he was THE ONLY ONE who answered their call!

I prefer the Stannis from the books to the one of the show! He's bitterness towards his brothers is totally understandable. He shouldn't have kept Mel so close though! And murdering his brother is not acceptable for a man as honourable as Stannis Baratheon claims to be!

Some valid points about Stannis. But, has Stannis really been about honor, or more so justice and loyalty?

I preferred Renly to be honest, I thought he would be a great King decided he was my favourite and then he died about 3 chapters later. Since then I've been rooting for Stannis

Yeah, I think so. I find that Stannis more well defined a character in the books. We get more insight to his personality and what drives him. This goes for a good amount of characters on the show, to no surprise, really.

I think so too. But I think Stannis is actually portrayed pretty well in the series too, maybe some bits are missing, but still they somehow managed to give him enough depth.

I can't tell yet if Melisandre actually enhances Stannis as a character, or detracts from Stannis as a character. I also can't help but wonder if she is eventually going to get Stannis killed, or if Stannis will kill Melisandre because he feels he was betrayed by her, or something.

Good thinking. I'm also wondering about that.

He is not all that just as he pretends to be... He killed his own brother, a kinslayer.

Didn't he use magic to have Robb, Joffrey, and Balon killed? Remember the three leaches he threw in the flames? the ones drenched with blood from Edric Storm?

Free man-

That's not about justice that's more about not being honorable. Thinking along Stannis' point of view on everything; he is king, and these other usurper and pretender kings have met their just end. Also a point a out loyalty, which stannis values so highly.

For the most part, I like that Stannis is another of the just and hard rulers. Everyone WOULD get ruled pretty fairly by him. However, he's too controlled by Melisandre. It's really her that I don't like, and I feel like if anyone is going to ruin anything in the end for him, it's going to be her.

When it comes down to it, I don't mind Stannis at all, but Melisandre just needs to go. Then I can be free to like him more based off of his actions, but he's a puppet at the moment.

- SummerGhostofNymeria, I agree completely

- ckal - if he was so honorable, why did he fail to honor the call to arms by the king (Targaeryen), and became a rebel with his brother Robert? :dunno: He displays an image of honor and justice, but he is weak and uses a lot of unethical means to achieve an end... He is also very bitter and consumed with hatred of how people do not love him or his brother did not give him storms end, etc... Bitter people tend to do terrible deeds imho, and I choose to dislike him, and his red priestess. :bowdown:

Archived