Just Read RW (Spoilers)

unforgiven

The moment when the band starts to play "The Rains of Castamere" was one of the most tense, dramatic moments that I've ever read. Martin really conveyed that moment of tensity just before all hell breaks loose. A really saddening moment, but really rewarding, I think, and it will undoubtedly be another major turning point in the story.

Brilliant wasn't it? How he littered the narrative with all the hints that something isn't quite right and how it all hits Cat at once, too late. How the musicians were terrible and how all of a sudden they swapped instruments for crossbows. I swear, it was like the famous murder in The Godfather (assassins jumping up from behind a seemingly innocent looking toll booth) but tens times worse.

My friends and and girlfriend (who haven't read the books) couldn't understand my excitement when 'The Rains of Castamere' showed up in the TV series, the strong feelings attached to it. Can't wait to see this scene portrayed in the series.

Brilliant wasn't it? How he littered the narrative with all the hints that something isn't quite right and how it all hits Cat at once, too late. How the musicians were terrible and how all of a sudden they swapped instruments for crossbows. I swear, it was like the famous murder in The Godfather (assassins jumping up from behind a seemingly innocent looking toll booth) but tens times worse.

My friends and and girlfriend (who haven't read the books) couldn't understand my excitement when 'The Rains of Castamere' showed up in the TV series, the strong feelings attached to it. Can't wait to see this scene portrayed in the series.

Haha sooo true! A bunch of my buddies only watch the show and didn`t understand my fascination with that song. I told them the next time who hear this song your collective hearts will shatter ;) and you'll know why it`s so important.

I'm glad you mentioned The Godfather, because I was thinking very much of it as I read. Martin's writing has the same flare for the dramatic and tension that is prevalent throughout The Godfather. I was pretty sure there was something up when Tywin told Tyrion that some wars are won with quills and ravens rather than swords. A very moving chapter, I haven't had quite the same emotional reacture to a piece of literature in quite some time. I'm glad to have read it.

I will never forget the moment when Cat reaches out to grab that Frey after he acts weirdly with Dacey Mormont and feels the mail under his silken wedding clothes, then slaps him so hard she bloodies his lip. You've had all the signs but that one instant is when all hell breaks loose. So incredible.

same thing with me mate! the minute i heard the song in the season finale I got goosebumps! It was amazing, even though i was the only one at the time (i was watching it with my friends) who actually knew the song (the rest thought it was some kind of weird indie rock song haha)

And btw, the connection you made with Godfather is rather interesting never thought of it like that :) overall the RW was one of my favourite scenarios in the whole ASoIaF series it was planned perfectly by the genius GRRM!

I had been spoiled to the Red Wedding, and yet that seemed to do little to diminish the emotional experience of reading it. I had tears in my eyes, and I had to stop for a second and remind myself that I knew this was coming and it shouldn't make me so upset.

I felt so terrible for Catelyn, dying thinking that all of her babies were dead or, in the case of Sansa, destined for some horrible existence. Since we didn't get a POV from Robb, and we only see him from Catelyn's POV, I didn't feel that Robb's death was so sad in itself but more that Catelyn watched her "last" living son die right in front of her. And her failed efforts to save him, it was all just heartbreaking. There's not many other books I've read that have drawn such a raw emotional response from me. Maybe it's a good thing it was spoiled for me because if I didn't know it was coming my heart might have jumped out of my chest.

I had been spoiled to the Red Wedding, and yet that seemed to do little to diminish the emotional experience of reading it. I had tears in my eyes, and I had to stop for a second and remind myself that I knew this was coming and it shouldn't make me so upset.

I felt so terrible for Catelyn, dying thinking that all of her babies were dead or, in the case of Sansa, destined for some horrible existence. Since we didn't get a POV from Robb, and we only see him from Catelyn's POV, I didn't feel that Robb's death was so sad in itself but more that Catelyn watched her "last" living son die right in front of her. And her failed efforts to save him, it was all just heartbreaking. There's not many other books I've read that have drawn such a raw emotional response from me. Maybe it's a good thing it was spoiled for me because if I didn't know it was coming my heart might have jumped out of my chest.

GRRM has said that the RW was the last chapter he wrote in aSoS because he dreaded it and it was emotionally difficult for him to write. All in all I had a stinking suspicion that Robb would be killed, but after the RW I really had trouble continuing to read. And after it had set in I wanted blood, I wanted Jon to leave the wall and avenge Robb, but of course we know this isn't that kind of a romantic predictable story.

The odd thing is that Greywind knew all along it seems :(

GRRM has said that the RW was the last chapter he wrote in aSoS because he dreaded it and it was emotionally difficult for him to write. All in all I had a stinking suspicion that Robb would be killed, but after the RW I really had trouble continuing to read. And after it had set in I wanted blood, I wanted Jon to leave the wall and avenge Robb, but of course we know this isn't that kind of a romantic predictable story.

The odd thing is that Greywind knew all along it seems :(

I didn't mention this, but (maybe because I'm a big dog person) I was as devastated as Grey Wind's death as any main character's so far. He tried to warn them, but they wouldn't listen. And of course, running away to save himself was not an option--he would never have left Robb. :( I was really sad about Lady's death too.

I'm such an animal person I'd probably rather see another core POV character killed than another direwolf.

It was a tense scene, almost like a climax really, only for the PW to be just as crazy. I didn't quite get the start the part were Cat slaps the Frey, he said that he didn't want to dance in a drunken yell, then storms off, understandable really, but I didn't get why Cat storms up to him and slaps him.

I felt more emotional for Arya in the chapter afterwards.

Same here....my heart just ached for her to be so close to getting back to Cat and Robb and having it ripped away from her. I couldn't read anymore that day after reading her chapter.

I remember reading that chapter for the first time. Felt like my chest had been gutted. I was so upset that I felt like I couldn't read any further. Good thing I read it at home. If I had read it at the office I don't know what I would have done.

I swear, that chapter is designed to make you stop reading for days. A few minutes later I tried to soldier on, but when I got to other characters casually chatting over dinner or in meetings about the massacre and how the bodies were desecrated I had to stop.

I remember reading that chapter for the first time. Felt like my chest had been gutted. I was so upset that I felt like I couldn't read any further. Good thing I read it at home. If I had read it at the office I don't know what I would have done.

I swear, that chapter is designed to make you stop reading for days. A few minutes later I tried to soldier on, but when I got to other characters casually chatting over dinner or in meetings about the massacre and how the bodies were desecrated I had to stop.

Yea, they way the Lannisters just laughed about it. Sad how murder comes so easy to those people.

I remember the first time reading that chapter I wasn't too devastated by Robb's death (I thought Catelyn had survived for some reason until I read further on). But the real icing on the cake that made me throw the book across the room was when I thought the Hound had killed Arya in the following chapter. I frantically skimmed the rest of the book trying to see if Arya was still alive or not.

Archived