Change in opinions of characters

Serr Parker

About Jaime, I agree completely about the Aerys matter. "Fuck you" was what I thought to every character that called him Kingslayer, because seriously, he was the _MAD_ KING.

I see what you mean, and I know that what Jaime did was both a product of his youth and impatience, and may well have saved King's Landing from burning, but I think that we need to consider the role of honor here. Jaime obviously has a different understanding of that notion than most of the other characters in the series, though I wont say his notion of honor is "wrong". I think we can see Jaime as something of a relativist in a world of absolutists like Ned Stark, not to cast Ned as a villain.

Let's look at the situation surrounding King Aerys. What would a man like Ned have done in Jaime's situation? He would have pleaded with the King to refrain from that madness, he would have pointed out everything that was wrong with Aerys' descision, and appealed to the King's honor and humanity not to burn the city. But in the end, Ned would have done his duty and protected Aerys from whoever came to kill him, because Ned had sworn to do so. Jaime, on the other hand, decided that breaking his oath would do more good for everyone, and made the decision to kill Aerys and save 500,000 people. I can certainly see the good in that, but Jaime's peers couldn't, or maybe wouldn't. It certainly was unfortunate for Jaime's later reputation that Ned Stark was the one to find him with Aerys' corpse at his feet instead of Robert Baratheon or another person who might be more willing to flex moral codes and see the good in Jaime's actions.

My point is, people harbor resentment for Jaime because of society's perception of honor.

<snip>

I get the sense, too, that Ned Stark disapproved of the Lannisters and saw them and Tywin Lannister in particular, as cold, greedy, dishonorable people. I can't remember him coming out and saying that directly, but throughout the first book, you get the sense (or I did, anyway) that it's not just that he doesn't approve of Jaime; he doesn't approve of any of them, and thinks that they alone are responsible for what happened to Elia Martell and her children, and disapproves of Robert's alliance with them.

I was indifferent on Varys in the beginning, but I really like him now. Also, i liked Davos in the beginning, but love him now. I hated stannis, like him now. Liked Catelyn, hate her now. Hated Sansa, like her now. as for Ned, i liked him in the beginning but i'm losing my head over how i feel about him now.

you cannot hate Cat now, because she's not really the same character, she's really unCat, a revengeful thing. I remember at the end of the Red Wedding, people saying she was going crazy, because she started nailing herself in the face. Can you imagine when she got back? Let's remember that the guy that kills Robb says "This is from Jaime Lannister" or something like that.

I see people complain about Catelyn, I've always viewed her as "Lets check up on Robb's Progress" So I never disliked her chapters.

Jaime was a (obviously intentional) Pleasant Surprise. Especially when He talks about Aerys and the whole Kingslayer Bit. I really enjoyed hearing his take on the tale and he went from the guy I loved to Hate, to just the guy I loved.

I changed my opinion about Jaimie, but it helped being able to get his POV, and of course he is changing too. He isn't the same character in AFfC as he was in AGoT.

My opinion of Cersei also changed in as much as I thought she was a lot better at political intrigue and strategy than she turned out to be.

I always disliked Cersei, but by the end of AFFC I found it quite funny how impossibly stupid she was.

Naturally, I couldn't love Tyrion any more than I already do.

And Jaime became really, really awesome in ASoS. He was always pretty funny, but he's a better person by the time he reaches King's Landing.

• 4 weeks later...

I've liked Tyrion from the start, and though I thought that

his murder of Shae

was a mark against his character, I could totally sympathise with why he did it. And

killing Tywin did not make me think any the less of him at all. I never forgave Tywin for what he did to Tysha, prostitute or legitimate wife. So I applauded that.

Jaime was the main character I started off hating and now really quite like. Ditto Sansa - I thought she was a bit of a wet hen at first, ridiculously romantic expecting the real world to be like the stories - and then I realised she was eleven years old. She was an Anne of Green Gables born into an unforgiving world - eleven-year-old girls are supposed to be like that, but there is no childhood in Westeros.

I hated Cersei in A Game of Thrones, and saw her as a fairly typical evil ice queen, started to pity her a bit in books 2 and 3 as her character got more fleshed out and she was proven to be just as much a puppet as everyone else - then, by where I've got to near the end of Feast for Crows, I've gone back to really, really hating her. She's become a Snow White's Wicked Stepmother, and now she actually has some power in her own name, she's proving she has no idea what to do with it. She has the ambition and the ruthless Lannister pride, but none of the political awareness. And with her paranoia and obsession about Margaery Tyrell, I'm not sure she's any better than Tommen himself.

• 5 months later...

Jaime, he was one of my most hated character but now one of my most liked characters, just love his IDGAF personality

Tyrion, now this is really messed up, I know how miserable and disappointed he was after he learned the truth from jaime, but didn't think he would go as far as becoming a kinslayer, the man was still his father after all

Stannis, I thought he as an honorable man first, but now I v given up hope on him. seriously, he murdered his brother through sorcery, and if not for davos he might have already killed edric storm, his own brother's son. If he does not rid of melisadre, one day she will get him killed

And also Littlefinger. Holy shit when I learned that it was him who planned the murder of Jon Arryn. I found this man the most dangerous fellow in all westeros.

For me I disagree with most on Tyrion. I have liked him from the start. In the start he was the only Lanister to actual care about his family over himself. On top of which, besides being a sarcastic SOB, he cares about the well being of others for the most part. He took time to visit the Wall after the Starks, he never put anyone else down, didn't even really get mad when subjected to the Vale jail. I donno I have always thought he hated being a Lanister, but understood the importance of family.

Also I totally don't hold him killing his father, Tryion, against him at all. He probably did more good for the common folk of the realm than bad for his family. His dad betrayed him multiply times and cast him aside as if he was nothing. Twyin was constatnly was under Cersei's spell of hatred for her little brother and he hated him because of his "imp" status. Twyin deserved to die after telling Tryion, who by all acounts saved Kings Landing for the Lanisters, he would never have Castlery Rock or any status in Kings Landing!

I completely adore Sansa now. I think she's so smart, and she has an amazing mentor in Littlefinger. Yes, I also love Littlefinger. I hated the both of them at the start for being way too bland but now... they are tow of the most interesting characters in the show. Sansa is really learning from Littlefinger and his plan to have her take back winterfell by wedding the true Arryn is just plain awesome. I really hope Sansa one day becomes the Lady of Winterfell.

I always disliked Cersei, but by the end of AFFC I found it quite funny how impossibly stupid she was.

Naturally, I couldn't love Tyrion any more than I already do.

And Jaime became really, really awesome in ASoS. He was always pretty funny, but he's a better person by the time he reaches King's Landing.

Apparently we are reading the same books...I agree to all. Cersei seemed a lot more diabolical before we could see into that crazy noggin of hers. And Jaime's in my top three at this point.

Hmm, let's see:

Catlyn: I started disliking her in A Clash of Kings, now I hate her.

Robb: I started hating him in A Storm of Swords, now I still hate him.

Arya: I started liking her in A Game of Thrones, now I still like her and I find her character even more intriguing.

Sansa: I started hating her in A Game of Thrones, now I just dislike her.

Bran: I like his character's progression from helpless cripple to badass warg.

Rickon: Don't care much about him, he hasn't done anything significant as yet.

Jon: I've got a soft spot for the outsider. Jon's probably my third favourite character. He's loyal and honourable despite the dishonourable things he had to do.

Cersei: I always though she was a little mad, now I know she's completely insane.

Jaime: He annoyed me in the first book, now I like him.

Tyrion: I LOVE TYRION, but I think he is descending into darkness because of everything that's happened to him.

Tywin: I hate his guts and always have.

Joffrey: HAHAHAHA!

Tommen: Does he even matter? He's his mother's pawn.

Mercella: She's got more guts and intelligence than either her brothers. You go girl!

Stannis: I like him well enough to be interested in his activities.

Davos: It's a contest between Tyrion and Davos for my favourite character.

Melisandre: I have always hated her with an intense fiery passion.

Danaerys: I hate her and I always will, but I will admit that I like the way she made her mark across Essos.

Arriane Martell: Despise her and that probably won't change.

Doran Martell: I liked him and still do.

Loras Tyrell: Annoying pretty boy in the beginning but a true knight inside (maybe a young Jaime).

Maegary Tyrell: Smart due to her grandmother's influence but not smart enough to outwit the Mad Queen.

Varys: I like that sneaky sly bastard.

Petyr Baelish: I dislike that slimy wormy bastard. He did do one good thing though: influencing the assassination of Joffrey.

Grand Maester Pycell: From the useless old man, to backstabber, to objecting to Cersei's increasing madness. I like him well enough.

Brienne: Obstinate but loyal, she annoyed me greatly in A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords but she improves immensely in A Feast for Crows.

There are many more but these are the main ones I can think of right now.

Archived