Is Braavos going to declare for Stannis?

Lord Varys

Massey could only get to Braavos if new ships arrived at Eastwatch in the meantime, or if some ships returned from Hardhome. Anyway, Massey would in any case need the Night's Watch on his side to get a ship.

TheeMikeHoncho...If one of Tycho's own ships returns , the Night's Watch would have no say in the matter ( taking no part ). Besides , if Jon should be dead ( which I don't believe ), or assumed dead , Tycho would reveal Jon's deal to the next in line ( who I don't think would be Marsh under any circumstances ). It's going to be in the Watch's interest to have access to supplies during the winter, so I think they'd help Tycho get to Braavos...and I don't think they'd hinder Massey , unless by some means a Lannister faction has seized control.

BongoIaF ... I'll peek at your thread , but unless it's something different from what has already been speculated on re: FM / Great Other , I won't be buying . ;)

All and Sundry.. I just want say again that I don't think we should cast it in stone that the FM killed Balon. It's all based on a vision , and we know they can often be deceptive. With GRRM , it doesn't necessarily follow that " a man without a face " is a faceless man.( The man loves to play with words..and I love him for it. :D)

I can't see the FM putting their trust in a reaver to uphold his end of a bargain , and if they're part of some kind of Braavosi triumverate ( as I suspect )..even a loose one.. I think a deal with Euron would create as many ,if not more , problems for them than it would solve.

gendarme..yes ,I do think it's coincidental that Jon was stabbed so soon (?) after meeting with Tycho.How soon is so soon ?... By the time Jon was stabbed Tycho had travelled all the way to WF , by way of Deepwood Motte , and was on his way back to the wall.

The Iron bank is willing to invest a great deal in Jon/NW. I believe the FM have a pretty close connection to the IB, others think it's a more tenuous connection , but obviously there has to be some connection ( also with the office of the Sealord ) if only out of self preservation.

While so many in powerful positions have been oblivious to the various threats a long winter would bring , I'd bet the Braavosi were on the forefront of those ( outside of the NW) reading the signs.

They are not that self-sufficient. They have to bring in fresh water ( by aqueduct ) and fuel .. no wood on Braavos , not even dung for fuel , because..they don't have any agricultural land.. therefore , no produce.. or any raw material for textiles..the list could go on and on. It would seem the only things the state has in abundance are fish ( for now ) and money..but even the money won't be that useful if a very long winter results in Westeros going down to the Others and Ghost grass choking out the plains of Essos , forcing the Dothraki into actually raiding larger cities rather than just being bought off...and we don't yet even understand fully how Greyscale fits in.

I would think that the IB , FM and the Sealord would want to support ,or at the very least, not interfere with those outside Braavos who are paying attention and trying to prevent this winter from being the longest , most devastating ever...And I'd think they'd be being very careful to not work against each other.

gendarme..yes ,I do think it's coincidental that Jon was stabbed so soon (?) after meeting with Tycho.How soon is so soon ?... By the time Jon was stabbed Tycho had travelled all the way to WF , by way of Deepwood Motte , and was on his way back to the wall.

Well, Jaqen made a dog kill its owner, so its somewhat likely that those NW killers were under the same type of influence - there are many threads on the forum which discuss whether or not they'd been under some kind of mental control. Tycho Nestoris or an undisclosed associate of his may not even need to be present in order to do it.

Well, Jaqen made a dog kill its owner, so its somewhat likely that those NW killers were under the same type of influence - there are many threads on the forum which discuss whether or not they'd been under some kind of mental control. Tycho Nestoris or an undisclosed associate of his may not even need to be present in order to do it.

I don't agree with your presumption at all. Why would the IB want Jon Snow dead? Or anybody on Braavos for that matter? As far as the IB is concerned, Jon Snow just signed a contract for supplies and whatnot. Why would they risk that investment, knowing that having Jon Snow assassinated would send the already unstable Night's Watch into further turmoil?

Nobody has accounted for the fact that Tycho Nestoris will hear the reports that Stannis is dead and what he will do in light of that news. Does anyone imagine he will be enthusiastic in his support of Selyse and Shireen?

I think it's possible, given Stannis's odd statement to Justin Massey in the sample chapter about how "he may hear that he is dead," that Stannis plans to fake his death as part of his strategy to re-take Winterfell. He may have warned Tycho Nestoris about this, and told him not to take any rumors of his death too seriously, although the weakness of that argument is that it seems odd he would tell Tycho and not Massey. But he can't just go around telling everybody!

If Stannis told Massey about that, he might also have told Tycho about it. And, well, if Tycho is going to honor the contract with the NW signed by Jon and him (despite the fact that Jon is dead), there is no reason why he should not honor the contract with Stannis. Especially since Stannis's death has still to be confirmed by an impartial source.

Not sure why anyone should believe the contents of a letter written by Ramsay Bolton. Massey most certainly will not, especially since Stannis himself told him that he might hear rumors about his death.

I very much doubt that Mel and Selyse are going to believe - although they might declare Shireen Queen just in case.

They cannot, not in the face of determined resistance. Remember how Drogon was injured by a spear? Imagine thousands of sharp pointy things flying upwards from ballistae and crossbows.

Martin has indicated that a full grown dragon is much harder to kill. This suggests Drogon's scales might not be as easy to pierce when he's fully grown.

Crossbows and ballistae didn't stop Aegon or either of his sisters.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, Tycho is with Stannis' army; he'd be a witness to Stannis' supposed death, and/or a victim...

I don't trust the Pink letter at all. I'm fairly confident that both Stannis and Mance are alive and free.

I also am 100% certain that the FM are hellbent on destroying the Others, as a perversion of death (they should stay dead, they're stealing the MFG's due, a threat to the natural order etc.) and that this is the sole reason that Braavos is supporting Stannis and the NW. This is also why I am certain that they will support Dany's crossover to Westeros, because they want her dragons to toast the Others.

Braavos isn't "prejudiced" against dragons; I will state this as many times as need be, but Tycho was not "really pissed" at Jon's joke, he disapproved of "joking" with dragons, i.e. playing with fire. If a cold war president made a joke about nuclear Armageddon with a Japanese diplomat, what do you expect he would say?

"Not jesting with dragons" is farremoved from "hating dragons" in all forms. The "FM caused the Doom" hypothesis, while intriguing, is far from confirmed; it rests on a few stories from the KoM, a historical enmity for Valyria and hero-worship of the FM's abilities.

First off, Tycho is with Stannis' army; he'd be a witness to Stannis' supposed death, and/or a victim...

I don't trust the Pink letter at all. I'm fairly confident that both Stannis and Mance are alive and free.

I also am 100% certain that the FM are hellbent on destroying the Others, as a perversion of death (they should stay dead, they're stealing the MFG's due, a threat to the natural order etc.) and that this is the sole reason that Braavos is supporting Stannis and the NW. This is also why I am certain that they will support Dany's crossover to Westeros, because they want her dragons to toast the Others.

Braavos isn't "prejudiced" against dragons; I will state this as many times as need be, but Tycho was not "really pissed" at Jon's joke, he disapproved of "joking" with dragons, i.e. playing with fire. If a cold war president made a joke about nuclear Armageddon with a Japanese diplomat, what do you expect he would say?

"Not jesting with dragons" is farremoved from "hating dragons" in all forms. The "FM caused the Doom" hypothesis, while intriguing, is far from confirmed; it rests on a few stories from the KoM, a historical enmity for Valyria and hero-worship of the FM's abilities.

So you are certain that bravos wants to fight the others, which has no base in the books and btw the others aren't dead the wights they bring back are, certain that bravos will support dany, even though it would mean loosing every investment they have made in robert joffrey and stannis, and certain that bravos doesn't hate dragons despite tycho's hatred of dragons, which is all speculation, yet find the theory that the fm caused the doom of valyria which actually has some evidence too far fetched to support?

Archived