Least favorite POV character

evening gale

I don't like Catelyn either, but I do find her story interesting since her chapters are where we get most of the war updates from.

I don't really like Daenerys' storyline, probably because it feels so divided from all of the other characters. There's really not a whole lot of crossover with the events in Westeros, so it just makes the story feel a little bit disjointed sometimes when you're really getting into all of the characters interacting across the sea, and then a Daenerys chapter pops up. The 2nd most boring POV character for me is probably Bran.

Funny, I feel the same way about Daenerys' story line. I watched the series first, and whenever it transitioned to her I was always a bit disppointed. At this point in the series her story line does feel disconnected from the rest. Maybe I will feel differently as I get into reading book 2.

You're right about Catelyn, her chapters are informative and quite a bit happens in them to move the story forward. But I don't care for her personality I guess. And as for Bran, well, I am fond of his chapters because I always enjoy a brief respite in Winterfell!

I find the various Dorne and Iron Island POVs (except Theon's) to be weak, but I'm going to go out on a limb and name Arya's POV as my least favorite, in total. Paradoxically, as for many other people on the forum Arya is one of my favorite characters. But while here GoT POV chapters are great, it felt like thousands of pages would pass as Arya's story progressed at a glacial pace. No more Hot Pie! I wanted to scream...

Ironically I really didn't like Jon's chapters in GoT, although he was one of my favourite characters. I think that mostly has to do with the storyline at the wall in the first book. By CoK and much more so by aSoS, I would find myself most looking forward to Jon and Samwell's chapters, as the story at the wall really picks up. I don't know how others feel about this but I think that as far as character development goes, GRRM has done a really fantastic job with Jon.

As an aside, my favourite POV's areTyrion's, always something interesting going on there.

Bran

-Not a big fan of young kid learning magic routine anyway

-Been done no matter how dark you try to be with it so I find nothing interesting in the premise.

-I find him slightly annoying and temperamental. Plus I think hes quite bossy towards his brother Rickon.

-Difficult for me to relate to or find entertaining or funny like a lot of the other characters. I didn't even particularly sympathise with Bran during the bad moments. Just something about the way he reacted put me off.

Next in line is The Damphair.

But, but, hes got such an awesome backstory? The man had a ship called Golden Storm! :bowdown: Yet he found the Drowned God when the water claimed him and arose changed with a fire in his eyes. Whats not to like?

During aSoS part 1 and a section of part 2 i really despised Catelyn as a POV character mostly because of her endless grief for the loss of her husband and generally her constantly being sad with basically everything. However later on as the story unfolds and the pace picks up i enjoyed her chapters near the end of Book 3 part 2.

But, but, hes got such an awesome backstory? The man had a ship called Golden Storm! :bowdown: Yet he found the Drowned God when the water claimed him and arose changed with a fire in his eyes. Whats not to like?

Piety! I can't stand pious people. I just had too much of them in my life. Also, I've got nothing against his past. What he does now and what he thinks kinda bothers me. It's just a personal opinion. Though being iron born enhances my hatred of him (btw I don't hate all of them, e.g. I like Asha)

Piety! I can't stand pious people. I just had too much of them in my life. Also, I've got nothing against his past. What he does now and what he thinks kinda bothers me. It's just a personal opinion. Though being iron born enhances my hatred of him (btw I don't hate all of them, e.g. I like Asha)

Yeah but since I like 40k I don't share your trepidition. I don't associate quiant Church of England reverends or J Witnesses scampering outside my door with the sheer awesomeness of things like the Drowned God, the Blood God and the God-Emperor of Man. I'll grant you that all three of the worshippers of those gods are insane; but theres something entertaining when reading about religious fanatics.

Although I grant you. Stannis is great because he is a religious fanatic but is SO non-chalont and business like about it to be lol worthy.

• 2 weeks later...

As to GoT I'm going to go against the grain and say my least favorite is Jon. I feel like what is going on around him should be exciting, but he is just boring. Maybe I have been tainted by the show where I dislike the actor's portrayal. Part of it is because we don't get the benefit of his inner monologue and he just sits there brooding, which I find annoying. Jon is much more likable in the books, but he breaks the flow for me. While Daenerys also breaks the flow I find her chapters interesting because they are so different.

I get how Catelyn would not be a favorite. Her chapters can be dense and really information heavy. I enjoy her as a character though because she is flawed just like all the rest.

Archived