Willas Tyrell

Valyrian Spoon

Willas is going to follow the pattern established by Doran Martell and Wyman Manderly. Physically unable. Old, fat, crippled. Everyone underestimates them or writes them off as cowards. They use this to their advantage and, eventually, we the reader get to see them in secure conversations where they reveal their true nature to us.

I am curious to see how strong (and how genuine) the apparent olive branch extention between him and Oberyn had a chance to become.

I am curious to see how strong (and how genuine) the apparent olive branch extention between him and Oberyn had a chance to become.

This olive branch between Willas and the Martells is Highgarden's only chance in the upcoming shitstorm, imo.

As for me, I don't see Willas as power hungry or devious. He is just probably very intelligent and wise. Remember, he never takes an active part in the Tyrell Kings Landing marital offensive. Lady Olenna's approval of him might simply mean that Willas thinks with his head, not with his heart. Mace is power hungry, and she still calls him an oaf.

He seems like a pretty good guy, seeing as he forgave Oberyn after their tourney accident that left him crippled and they exchanged letters according to the Viper.

And seeing as he's now fighting the Ironborn and maybe soon Aegon and the Golden Company he will most likely feature in the next book/s.

He might even be taken captive by either side.

It would be good for him to get his own chapter. That's the only way we'll have a surefire way of knowing what he's like.Maybe he is a bit like Doran Martiel and even thoguh he's crippled might be really good at the Game. I agree that he has to fight Aegon even thoguh Connington and Co are in the Stormalnds.

I believe that GRRM said that there will be no new POVs? This means one of our old pals is going to Highgarden. I've always hoped it'd be Sansa but she has her hands full in the Eyrie.

As I said in this other thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/40286-willas-tyrell/, "I think Willas Tyrell is a genuinely nice and honourable guy; not only his family, Tywin, Littlefinger, the Viper, all of them think good of him, and if a guy manages to deceive those three about his character, then he would be such a cunning bastard that Varys and Littlefinger would look like Ned Stark and Davos Seaworth when compared to him.

I wish Willas Tyrell turns to be a smart brave man, the same way old fat Lord Manderly, and to outmanouver all the people who think less of him because he has a crippled leg and can´t be a warrior. Go Willas! Willas for king!." :commie:

Come on: Olenna Tyrell and the freaking Viper like and respect him! Those two dangerous, cunning bastards that despise everybody! Littlefinger, when trying to convince Sansa that she wouldn't like him as a hunsband, can't think of anything worse that "dull", and has to admit that he's a decent and good man, Cersei and Jamie, when rejecting him as a potential match for Cersei, can't say anything worse that "he's a cripple", the same as Tyrion when he's making fun of his sister...in short, even the people that want to deride him can't find anything bad to say.

I'd certainly take him over all other main contenders. In general, I'd rather see someone on this throne who isn't dying to sit on it.

I also think that Westeros will bitterly need a Tyrell/Martell alliance when all is said and done (otherwise that's the next big war waiting to happen), and I think it would be neat if Arianne's initial foiled plan of marrying herself to Willas would come to fruition after. It would all work out very nicely.

It is extremely likely that Willas Tyrell will play a significant role in the upcoming books.

The fact that he is the heir to Highgarden and is described by Olenna as intelligent suggests that his role will increase soon.

Olenna and Garlan Tyrell need more involvement in the story also. Olenna is among the top characters in terms of entertainment value.

If Mace Tyrell dies then Willas immediately becomes a major power-broker in Westeros. The fact that he is unmarried is also significant.

It would likely be interesting to see Willas become a king though it does not have to be through the Iron Throne.

I also think that Westeros will bitterly need a Tyrell/Martell alliance when all is said and done (otherwise that's the next big war waiting to happen), and I think it would be neat if Arianne's initial foiled plan of marrying herself to Willas would come to fruition after. It would all work out very nicely.

I would love to meet Willas and I also think that Westeros needs a Tyrell/Martell alliance.

Archived