And the Hooded Man is....

Lord Martin

Theon was a ward of Winterfell for 10 years, if he didn't recognize the Glovers from Robb's war then he might remember them from visits to Winterfell.

I think the point he is making is Theon is whacked out of his gourd. He doesn't remember the Walders and then even when he does he freaks out wondering if they're the ancestors of the Walders he knew. He also doesn't recognize Whoresbane and Karstark despite Whoresbane knowing him and Karstark as well after some prompting. He even knew him enough to know he's a smiler yet Theon doesn't know either one.

I think the point he is making is Theon is whacked out of his gourd. He doesn't remember the Walders and then even when he does he freaks out wondering if they're the ancestors of the Walders he knew. He also doesn't recognize Whoresbane and Karstark despite Whoresbane knowing him and Karstark as well after some prompting. He even knew him enough to know he's a smiler yet Theon doesn't know either one.

The point I was trying to make is that while he might not recognize him from the brief time he looked at him but there could at least be enough of a flicker of recognition which should keep from automatically excluding any northern lords such as the Glovers.

The point I was trying to make is that while he might not recognize him from the brief time he looked at him but there could at least be enough of a flicker of recognition which should keep from automatically excluding any northern lords such as the Glovers.

Could be, could be all kinds of things. Despite the fact that people want to think Martin wouldn't use such a 'cheap trick'(not my words) to make it a mystery the fact is he writes it deliberatly vague. There's enough light for them to make eye contact yet no description of even something as simple as height. Is he taller than Theon, is he shorter? Don't know, only things we do know is he has a face, he has eyes, he has a hand, he has a dagger. He knows the common tongue and he can laugh. He despises Theon yet doesn't care enough to do anything about it.

While I don't subscribe to it being Theon himself the whole scene does keep making me think of the poem Antigonish. Specifically that line 'he came upon a man' and ending with Theon just suddenly being alone again trudging through the snow.

And I have to be honest it's mainly because I don't like Theon and hope his only part left is Northerners using his guts for christmas tree decorations.

Would Benjen really do that? Would he desert NW to come to Winterfell after so many of his sworn brothers died just for searching for him? Plus he has been away for a long time, I'd rather see him come to castle black with some extra-valuable info about the Others or become one of them. The Stark in Winterfell idea always seems to me just like a saying, nothing of importance. Is there any evidence that suggests it's Benjen?

Benjen Stark = Coldhands?

I don't think we should consider Theon a reliable POV (even though I'm not a Theon as HM guy, I do think its plausible because Theon is only partial there now)

and I don't think the HM section actually tells us wether Theon recognizes him or not, it feels vague (deliberately for me) and Theon doesn't really say anything for or against knowing who the HM is. Very, limited description - comparatively to others in the same chapter non-descriptive.

He debates wether he could be the killer and he shows him the stumps on his hand and both things implied recognition, for me, but w/ no confirmation of actual recognition.

People have floated that out as being because it is Theon himself, Ghosts from the crypt, someone Theon believes is a ghost because he thinks he is dead already (Robett and other of Robb's men could fit in this cat.), outsider Northmen, Bolton's men, Hal Mollen, Robett or Galbert, etc. or - no one important too (but GRRM describes these people generally too)

I just think its a story thing, like the recognition of HM will give away whatever plot is being brewed behind the Bolton's, and it was unnecessary to Theon and creates more mystery.

You know the problem with the "Theon Durden" theory is that he split himself after severe torture into Theon and Reek. However I don't think I read about him halucinating, he calls himself Reek out of fear and realizes he's Reek. He doesn't see himself out of his own body. So why would he suddenly (and for the first time I might add) see a hooded man in his imagination? We don't read about the Hooded Man before that POV chapter.

You know the problem with the "Theon Durden" theory is that he split himself after severe torture into Theon and Reek. However I don't think I read about him halucinating, he calls himself Reek out of fear and realizes he's Reek. He doesn't see himself out of his own body. So why would he suddenly (and for the first time I might add) see a hooded man in his imagination? We don't read about the Hooded Man before that POV chapter.

Amongst many other things. I agree though.

I guess I'll throw out another suggestion.

In AFFC, after Jaime takes Riverrun he sends Desmond Grell and Robin Rygar north to the Wall. Could it be either one of these two?

I like those two better than the Blackfish only b/c the Blackfish told Jaime he was sworn to defend Robb's Queen. I expect he is planning to attack the caravan bringing Jeyne Westerling back to Lannisport.

spoiler

It would seem pretty clear from the WoW Theon chapter that it's Mors Umber or some other Umber. I can't recall now if Whorsebane in the Greathall or not, but only the Hooded Main and subsequently Crowfood in WoW refer to Theon as Kinslayer. Nobody else does. It would seem to be something that the Umbers have pegged him with, but it hasn't stuck else while.

Wasnt there sqauters at Winterfell when bolton shows up? they where put to death after building i beleave, but they would be scouts, in which the leader hid.

ie.

brothers without baners - cat send a party to seek out remains of winterfell

mountain clans

i cant think of any else on the top of my head, but that may hold some key

Archived