[SPOILERS] North of the Wall

Okay, so I just passed the point in the ASOS where...

The remaining NW brothers who survived the attack on the Fist are at Kraster's keep, a fight broke out, someone killed Kraster and someone killed Mormont.

When Gilly and the two other women asked (begged?) Samwell to take her and the baby to/south of Castle Black, were they implying that Kraster sacrifices his sons to feed the undead army? Do his sons become White Walkers?

Also, another question about this... The White Walkers we saw in the season 2 finale looked different than the Others we saw in the S1E1 prologue (the HBO show). Are Others and Wights two different undead things?

I also read the part where...

Meera told Bran the story of the young crannogman who went to Harrenhal just as a great tournament was about to occur, and he observed the dragon prince and the she-wolf. Did anyone make the connection to Rhaegar and Leanna? After that, I have to say I think the story of the crannogman actually happened.

To those of you who read at least half of the book so far, I could use some help trying to sort through the first spoiler.

I was also really confused by "Others", "white walkers", and "wights". Here's what I've concluded but perhaps someone will further clarify.

Wights are zombies, they are human dead who rise after death.

the Others, or the white walkers, are a completely separate non human perhaps demonic race, and they are the ones who raise humans from the dead to fight in their armies. I'm sure you recall from the last episode of season 2 there is an army of clearly human zombies, but the head of that army is very clearly non-human.

As to the crannogman, I'm pretty sure it did happen and that it was Howland Reed, Jojen and Meera's dad. The mystery knight I personally think was Lyanna.

Yes that's right the White Walkers are completely different from the wights. The wights are zombies raised from the dead by the White Walkers (or "Others") but we don't know if the Others are "undead", the wights can only be killed with fire and the White Walkers with obsidian, probably with valyrian steel too.

The crannogman story is definitely real and some people have the theory that Jojen Reed is actually Howland Reed and that he what happened at the Tower of Joy

Yes that's right the White Walkers are completely different from the wights. The wights are zombies raised from the dead by the White Walkers (or "Others") but we don't know if the Others are "undead", the wights can only be killed with fire and the White Walkers with obsidian, probably with valyrian steel too.

The crannogman story is definitely real and some people have the theory that Jojen Reed is actually Howland Reed and that he what happened at the Tower of Joy

say wahhhhhh....really??

I've been anxiously waiting for Howland Reed to pop up with the big reveal of Ned's promise to Lyanna, but isn't Jojen his son and just a little boy? I mean, are the Reeds shape changers or something? And besides if that were true seems to me Howland would a creep to pretend to be a little boy to befriend Bran.

• 3 months later...

I was also really confused by "Others", "white walkers", and "wights". Here's what I've concluded but perhaps someone will further clarify.

Wights are zombies, they are human dead who rise after death.

the Others, or the white walkers, are a completely separate non human perhaps demonic race, and they are the ones who raise humans from the dead to fight in their armies. I'm sure you recall from the last episode of season 2 there is an army of clearly human zombies, but the head of that army is very clearly non-human.

As to the crannogman, I'm pretty sure it did happen and that it was Howland Reed, Jojen and Meera's dad. The mystery knight I personally think was Lyanna.

I think Others and White Walkers are the same thing. They're called Others in the books, but they're called White Walkers in the show. I also think Wights might be something different. Others might be an ancient inhuman being whereas Wights are dead humans risen by the cold or by other Wights (IMO).

Archived