The Wild Wolf.

The Roaring Bear

I like Brandon. What I like about him is that we don't know much about him, I get to interpret the character for myself. I know that he was raised to be the Lord of Winterfell. He was a better sword than Ned (which I thinks put him in the top tier, combined with his challenge to Rhaegar). We know that he loved his family. We know he could get women. We know he was a hot head. That's it, so I get to make up my own mind, but if we learn more it may contradict what I have decided. I don't know how I would feel.

As far as Brandon being stupid for challenging Rhaegar in KL in front of Aerys, it's foolish, but I think Brandon had every right to. The king is not all powerful because or correct, because he is the king, but rather because people decide he has power. It's exactly like the Varys commercial for season two of GoT. I don't remember if that was in the books or not, but it can still apply. The Targaryens are not all powerful, they conquered Westeros through the use of Dragons, there are no more dragons. Like it or not, Brandon is afforded certain privileged, being the eldest son and heir to Winterfell. Brandon may have even been counting on that, plus his families close relationship to the Tullys, Arryns, and Baratheons when he went to KL. The Targaryens were only powerful because powerful families allowed them to be. Brandon was a "paying customer" and was well within his rights to demand something be done to appease him, no matter how drastic his action were.

I would actually like to learn more about Lord Rickard Stark, Ned and Brandon's father. I want to know what his "Southron ambitions" were and why the hell he responded to Aerys order that he come to KL to answer for his son's "treasons."

My two cents on Brandon threatening Rhaegar at KL, he's a moron. You either address the situation politically and politely or with force. Brandon tried to straddle the fence. He called out the King and Prince and made public threats. Even a rational king would punish such conduct and a mad king will really go after the offending Lord.

Option one should have been a private letter to KL from Lord Rickard demanding the return of his daughter and recompense for the insult to his house. If Aerys balks, then onto option two.

Call the banners. Robert's Rebellion could have easily been the Northern Rebellion and the realm would be all the better for it. Robert would have joined the Starks due to the insult to Lyanna and Jon Arryn would join again. Tywin Lannister would do the same as before as well. He could marry Cersei off to Ned or Robert thus making her a very important person.

I wonder who would have been named King in that scenario, Lord Rickard? Brandon Stark? Ned?

Anyway, Brandon needed to go all in. Showing up at KL without an army was just a piss poor idea. Lord Rickard following him was equally a bad idea.

I love him. He's super hot and reminds me of Arya a bit. It would have been good for Robb to be a bit like Brandon in his Jeyne Westerling situation. Brandon got himself killed but he wouldn't be the first Stark.

I think Brandon was not foolish to ask for a trial by combat. He learned that his sister was abducted and probably being raped, and that's their only sister whom they love so much. Any older brother would rush to the kingdom and demand for the man who abducted his sister. It was rather rash but it's not a foolish decision. Maybe he would have handled it better but he didn't know that the state of mind of the King was already like that.

I agree with most here that it's Rhaegar who was foolish. He " abducted: a highborn lady from a major house, what does he expect? I wouldn't have expected that from a man known to be intelligent. He should have known the consequences of his actions. Lyanna, if what they did was eloping, is also to blame. She should have at least told Brandon about it. She knows how wild her brother is and she should have prevented his death from happening if she cautioned him. Maybe she doesn't have enough time to do so, I don't know. IF this was an act of love, Rhaegar and Lyanna are to blame. The current state of mind of the king didn't help at all as well.

He was foolish to ride off to the King and call for Rhaegar's head. But he did it because his sister was kidnapped, and I don't think either Brandon or Lord Rickard could have ever thought that Aerys was unhinged enough to kill them both in return. And the Starks have always been the type to think with their hearts and not their heads - I'm sure it made perfect sense for Brandon to just rush in like that. I don't think he was a very deep and profound character or anything. He's kind of a textbook Stark, actually.

• 1 month later...

First let's look at Brandons actions. He charges in to King Landing demanding the heirs head or at least trail by combate becuse his sister was kiddnapped by the heir.

Second is is justifiable whithin the society that Brandon was raised in to act this way. Yes, I feel if any other highborn lady in Westeros had been kiddnapped the oldiest male heir that could fight for her honour would. Let me make this example; let's say for instances that the rebellion for what ever reason did not happen or the role are reversed, and Brandon kiddnapped Daenerys when she got older. Due you not think that Rhaegar would not march to winterfell, and demanded his sister back I think he would of.

Last Brandon did what any heir would ahve done in his shoes do to how the society views it. Also on this topic if Brandon for what every reason was not able to do so, then it would have been up to Eddard Stark as the second oldiest brother, and I think he might have been a little bit warry but would ahve done it none, and at that point Robert would have been with him.

One final not first post so, sorry if there are misspelling in their, and thinks for talking about Brandon I really like him as a character.

I too would like to know more about Brandon. Actually all of Ned's family. I've read a lot of people's posts saying he was stupid with the Rhaegar thing but I always felt it was a spur of the moment decision. He heard about Lyanna and went to Kings Landing that's it, I don't think he thought about it anymore than that...My sister was kidnapped let me go get her back. Also his affair with Lady Dustin, she seemed more than okay with it heart broken that he was going to marry Catelyn even. He seems like an interesting character to me

People are really blaming Brandon for Aerys' idiocy? If your sister was kidnapped, would you calmly go down and demand an inquiry? really? You're like a 24 year old dude and your 16 year old sister who engaged to a friend of the family gets kidnapped by the weirdo harp playing Prince and you just say "hey, please tell me where she is?" No way. You roundup your buddies and demand her back.

I really like Brandon. He doesn't sit and wait while his sister is abducted (everyone believed her to be abducted, no one suspected anything else), he goes and demands her back. That is what a brother does; being protective towards his 14 year old sister. How could he know Aerys would kill his party, and him and his father in such a cruel way? It was probably foolish to demand a fight with the crown prince, but a reasonable King would not kill him immediately after that. A reasonable King would try to listen to him (he's highborn, coming of one of the Great Houses) and explain it. Try to be fair and just. Sad to say, Aerys was a Mad King.

I think he actually was quite like Lyanna, Lyanna was a Wild Wolf herself. Not sitting and waiting, but demanding justice when she saw wrongdoings. Be protective of the weak.

Both met their doom because of them being Wild Wolves.

Brandon was a bit of a fool. But not as much of a fool as Rhaegar, who a lot of people seem to love. Overall I really like Brandon. With any set of siblings, there's always the wild one, and Brandon was the wild one.

Young, handsome heir, good with swords, good with the ladies, a bit of a hot-head but only when it makes him looks cool... Yeah, that reads as Generic Action Movie Protagonist Mk. 9999 to me. I don't find him in the least interesting because he's what we all are so used to seeing. There's nothing new, there's nothing worth exploring.

And yes, his charging into King's Landing was stupid. What did he think, that if he defeated him in a joust the man who was willing to kidnap a young Great Lady would hand her back, no questions asked? In a castle that's full of his supporters, no less? I'm not saying that Aerys' reaction was correct, but goddamn... He was as much of a dreamer as Sansa if he thought that a chilvaric action would solve it all.

Rickard stayed home and waited. Hoster advised him against it. Goddamnit, Robert Baratheon did no such thing!

Young, handsome heir, good with swords, good with the ladies, a bit of a hot-head but only when it makes him looks cool... Yeah, that reads as Generic Action Movie Protagonist Mk. 9999 to me. I don't find him in the least interesting because he's what we all are so used to seeing. There's nothing new, there's nothing worth exploring.

And yes, his charging into King's Landing was stupid. What did he think, that if he defeated him in a joust the man who was willing to kidnap a young Great Lady would hand her back, no questions asked? In a castle that's full of his supporters, no less? I'm not saying that Aerys' reaction was correct, but goddamn... He was as much of a dreamer as Sansa if he thought that a chilvaric action would solve it all.

Rickard stayed home and waited. Hoster advised him against it. Goddamnit, Robert Baratheon did no such thing!

Robert Baratheon was a ward of Jon Arryn at the time. I expect Lord Arryn would not let him.

Robert Baratheon was a ward of Jon Arryn at the time. I expect Lord Arryn would not let him.

And Brandon was Rickard's son. Neither RObert nor Ned recall or mention him having to be restrained contained.

My point stands. Brandon as he stands now is A - Boring and B - Stupid.

And Brandon was Rickard's son. Neither RObert nor Ned recall or mention him having to be restrained contained.

My point stands. Brandon as he stands now is A - Boring and B - Stupid.

Brandon wasn't a minor. I don't see how you can call someone referred to as "the wild wolf" are boring, and reckless isn't necessarily stupid.

Brandon wasn't a minor. I don't see how you can call someone referred to as "the wild wolf" are boring, and reckless isn't necessarily stupid.

Neither was Robert, AFAIK. It sure seems he was older than sixteen at that moment. And I can't see what difference does this make, actually.

Yes, I can call someone referred to as "the wild wolf" as boring because that's exactly what he is to me. Yet another brave young hot-head who in the end is awesome and cool and all. Yuck. I prefer to read about real people.

Charging into the castle of somone you believe kidnapped and raped your baby sister expecting him to hand her over quietly isn't reckless. It's unreal.

Archived