Who would win

thepipes

At some point I think Jaime mentions there are two or three people in Westeros who could give him a good fight, Barristan being one of em.

What if we throw Robert and Rhaegar into the mix? (at their prime of course)

He only said that in the show. Jamie of that bunch, Barristan in his prime.

My money would be on the Hound, I think he's got enough anger towards his brother to rip him apart. I'd like Brienne's chances too, as everyone (except Jamie) would massively underestimate her.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Oberyn was a more skilled combatant than people really even knew. He was well known for his love of poisons but, as she showed in his battle with Gregor, he can throw down with the best of them. Given that Oberyn was able to handle Gregor, I think that might vault him to the top any single combat list. I'd probably go with Jamie (with his sword hand) over Oberyn, but it would be an epic duel. Now, if we're looking at guys in their prime, I think Barristan Selmy may have been able to best Jamie. I see Robert as more of a Gregor type combatant, raw strength, not much discipline, so I don't see him doing too much. So, right now, I'd say the finals would be the Red Viper against the Kingslayer, with the edge going to the Lion.

• 2 weeks later...

But Belwas isn't good with horses and spears.

The hero of Yunkai was mounted, Strong Belwas was not. And Belwas with his arrakh did him in for sure, so I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to do the same with either of the above mentioned. Sure, the hero of Yunkai was a bit of a swagging bravo but still we must not forget that Belwas' history is one of the fighting pits, i.e. he's probably fought more times where life and death was at stake than any of the others.

Not to mention the fact that Strong Belwas is by far the coolest character in this whole fairy tale. Besides myself of course :cool4:

Robert in his prime would destroy them all. Seriously, the dude was a beast.

I agree. I think he's underrated because we see him as a drunk at the end. Love the Robert's Rebellion extras in the blu-rays. Somebody make that a movie!!

And that "dude" with a spear isn't some pushover but the mountain was definitely exposed. Red Viper was a beast also!!

Gotta say Selmy Barristan. Jaime considered Trant the most deadly of the kingsguard (because his eyes told nothing) and I believe somewhere it mentions Selmy beating just about everyone in previous tournies, including Rhaegar and Trant. However, Selmy wasn't really a tournament fighter. He was actually a warrior. That being said Rhaegar beat him at the Tournament of Harrenhal, possibly starting... well... everything. I think Selmy usually won tournaments and had more experience but I would put Rhaegar up there with him.

He also states something along the lines of "if it weren't for my oath I'd cut through the 5 of you like butter" to the other 5 Kingsguard when he was let go for being too old. I have a feeling that wasn't just a threat and he actually could.

I'd rebuke The Mountain of being in the top ranks. At The Hand's tourney The Hound steps in, stops his brother's sword, and his brother backs down. I'm pretty sure despite being larger the Mountain knows his brother is a better fighter.

Btw, notice that not one King died while Selmy was actually present?

I think Mance and Rhaegar may be kindred spirits, both with poet's souls, and love of music, and the ability to excel at everything they do. True kings in their own right. I think Mance might be up there with Rhaegar and Selmy.

Oh, and Jorah had to resort to slave trading to pay for his debts since he couldn't win a tournament. Probably a very decent fighter and may have learned a few tricks from the Dothraki but never one of the best.

Surprised no one has said Loras Tyrell. I wouldn't either. He freely admits his brother can beat him with a sword and he's more a tournament fighter. Good with a lance. He also has already been owned by Brienne.

• 1 month later...

Archived