Jon Snow's true identity is.....................Jon Snow

AegonTargaryen

The thing is though, I thought the Targaryens always have children with blonde hair, so how come Jon has dark hair?

Didn't one of the Targaryen bastards in the Dunk and Egg books have dark hair as well? I haven't read these books yet so Idk what I'm talking about really.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I see that a lot of us got to the same conclusion R+L=Jon :). I like the fact that some of you got detalis that I did not catch about this theory.

For what I see the only two persons that know the truth are Howland Reed (the only survivor with Ned) and maybe Benjen!

At some point Martin have to place Benjen again to tell the truth to Jon and after this Benjen can die (mission done), the possibility that Jon meet Howland Reed is more difficult.

Hello, I see that a lot of us got to the same conclusion R+L=Jon :). I like the fact that some of you got detalis that I did not catch about this theory.

For what I see the only two persons that know the truth are Howland Reed (the only survivor with Ned) and maybe Benjen!

At some point Martin have to place Benjen again to tell the truth to Jon and after this Benjen can die (mission done), the possibility that Jon meet Howland Reed is more difficult.

That's probably why GRRM didn't killed Benjen yet.

Because he still needs him for something

I'd like to see GRRM use Howland Reed to reveal the truth about Jon without it looking contrived. That said, I never once believed that Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, I just always considered Robert bitter and believed what he wanted to believe. At this point the biggest twist would be Wylla actually being Jon's mother (I think someone has mentioned it before) :drunk:

The darker features overpowering the lighter features (no doubt highlighted elsewhere where the R+L=J theory is discussed) is highly probable. Case in point: Robert's bastards versus Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella. I really believe this theme has a role in the bigger scheme of things.

I personally like the R + L = J theory, and there are many hints about this that I'm sure are discussed elsewhere. The most convincing thing to me is Lyanna dying in a "bed of blood" and Ned's unwillingness to ever talk about Jon's mother. The other two possibilities are:

1.) Wylla: That is what Ned tells Robert and what Edric tells Arya. However I think all we know for sure is that Wylla nursed both Edric and Jon and Edric assumed Wylla was Jon's mother. Edric was kind of evasive. I don't really think Wylla is Jon's mother

2.) Ashara Dayne: Cat has heard a rumor that she was Jon's mother. Edric mentions that she committed suicide over a broken heart. The Reeds mention her in the story about the tourney at Harrenhal, and I believe it was Ned who danced with her.

I feel like if we could hear about what happened at Harrenhal from someone who was actually there for the whole thing we would learn a lot. Jaimie was there, but Aerys sent him away right after his investiture.

I always thought Jon was Roberts son. Robert and Lyannas. That makes plenty of sense to me.

However R+L=J makes a lot of sense too... Damn you George Martin!!!!

I initially considered this as well. However as far as I can tell Robert and Lyanna never actually had the opportunity to do "it". Also it seems odd for Ned to lie about Jon being his if he was Robert's.

The Targaryen scenario makes a lot more sense as Robert would have wanted to completely eradicate the Targaryen line. If Jon was Rhaegar's son, Robert would have certainly wanted him dead.

I just finished ASoS, and have been thinking about that "promise" Ned made. I thought it had to do with Jon, but didnt think Ned would bed his sister. If the R+L theory is true, then isnt Jon Snow the true king?

No, because Jon would be still a bastard.

Could get real interesting. If he is Rhaegar's heir, Dany wont be too pleased. I dont know. It's a drawn out version of Aragorn on LOTR, except Aragorn knew who he was. Jon doesnt have a clue of anything, just that he has Stark blood

• 1 month later...

I think we got so many clues for the R+L theory that it can't be false. Especially with GRRM's sense of detail, it's far too well built to be a coincidence. And that's also the only thing that makes me suspicious about it - we are literally being pushed into it, which is not Martin's style.

Don't forget:

So he gave us a test question which was ‘Who do you think Jon Snow’s real mother was?’ and there was a pause, and we thought that if we got this wrong then we may not have a show, and the answer is not in the books. We said ‘the answer’s…X’ and we were right.
(Interview with Benioff and Weiss)

I think we got so many clues for the R+L theory that it can't be false. Especially with GRRM's sense of detail, it's far too well built to be a coincidence. And that's also the only thing that makes me suspicious about it - we are literally being pushed into it, which is not Martin's style.

Exactly, this is why I don't think it's going to be the R+L theory. It's too poetic, too obvious, and so there must be a missing piece in this equation. For one, I think Martin may never reveal Jon's parentage because it honestly serves no purpose. I don't think Jon would leave his post as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch if he discovered he's the bastard of Rhaegar or even his legitimate son. Jon's honor is sky high; he would preserve the neutrality of the Night's Watch.

If Jon Snow is R+L, I still doubt he would be the rightful heir due to some things I heard from people who've finished ADWD which I'm about to start. I've spoiled one bit for myself already. :bang:

Archived