Tyrell - Lannister Alliance

kekoborto

This thing troubles me the most out of other troubling things like how Theon managed to hold Winterfell with 17 men and how ramsay defeated Rodrik Cassell and his 2k men with only 400 and lost only 30 men or so

So yea why do the Tyrells ally with Lannisters?

Tyrells have sided with Targaryens so they dont have any incredible love for Baratheons if they think joffrey is baratheons son

if they believe stannis' words then would they want a lannister without the least bit of claim on the throne?

they choose to ally with tywin who lost 2 armies some of his castles / lands and gold mines and has lost some of his own men due to battles with edmure and bolton

and there is no BROness between tyrells and lannister as queen of thorn says she doesnt trust the lannisters and this wasnt their fight

so is there something i dont know or is this one of those forced things to make the starks suffer even more

The only reason I come up with is very simple and was mentioned in the series, I think. Margaery told Lord Petyr Baelish in a private conversation that she wants to ne The Queen, What a better way in order to achieve her dream, than to marry the king? And as she is friom the house Tyrell and the King is a Laister / not officilally. but we know it/, the alliance is very logical.

The only reason I come up with is very simple and was mentioned in the series, I think. Margaery told Lord Petyr Baelish in a private conversation that she wants to ne The Queen, What a better way in order to achieve her dream, than to marry the king? And as she is friom the house Tyrell and the King is a Laister / not officilally. but we know it/, the alliance is very logical.

That conversation only took place in the HBO series.

but the seven ''big lords'' were kings so why didnt lord tyrell decide to go back to the old ways and become king? joffrey is only king of lannister lands / kings landing

greyjoys, storms end, riverlands and north rebelled

anyway i guess im the only one who thinks this didnt make sense so :(

The Tyrells never were kings themselves; they were only stewards to the Gardener Kings who were defeated and eradicated by Aegon the Conqueror, only to be replaced by the Tyrells. It's as if the Targaryens had killed all the Starks and made the Cassels the new Lords of Winterfell. Indeed, the Tyrells have several bannermen (like the Florents) who have a better claim to Highgarden than the Tyrells themselves. This makes the Tyrells uniquely dependent on recognition by the Iron Throne, since their bannermen would most likely try to overthrow them at the first sign of weakness.

Also, no Targaryens around any longer, so they have to arrange with the new power houses...

So yea why do the Tyrells ally with Lannisters?

Tyrells have sided with Targaryens so they dont have any incredible love for Baratheons if they think joffrey is baratheons son

if they believe stannis' words then would they want a lannister without the least bit of claim on the throne?

they choose to ally with tywin who lost 2 armies some of his castles / lands and gold mines and has lost some of his own men due to battles with edmure and bolton

and there is no BROness between tyrells and lannister as queen of thorn says she doesnt trust the lannisters and this wasnt their fight

so is there something i dont know or is this one of those forced things to make the starks suffer even more

It is not a matter of whether they believe Cersei or Stannis. Renly did not care either way, and House Martell only very tangencially does.

The Lannisters have a claim to the throne, and in fact the one that is succesfull. They are simply pursuing the throne in the most promising way available - as are their rivals.

The real question is why did Stannis push them towards such a path. But the answer is obvious: because Stannis can't really think out of the box and is way too proud to see the big picture.

It seems to me that the Tyrell's had several reasons for siding with the Lannisters. First declaring themselves "kings" would bring war to their previously untouched lands. Second, as Joffery, the small council, and the Lannisters want the seven kingdoms to remain as they were when the Targs and Robert were on the throne, necessitating them to attack Highgarden to return it to the Iron Throne's control (see point one). Also, with the enmity between the Tyrell's and Dorne would be a con for them declaring themselves kings. Considering those two have continuously fought border wars it seems that war would break out between those two if the Tyrell's declared themselves kings. Fourth, theguyfromthevale's point above. Finally, after having sided with Renly, and abandoning Stannis and with no real reason to side with the Starks, where else are theyy going to turn to

You see that the Tyrells have always been on the strongest side. When Aegon invaded the Reach(with dragons on the army),they surrended Highgarden. After, on Robert's Rebellion, the Targaryens had 2,000 more soldiers, so they stood on the strongest(but not winner) side. Finally, during the War of the Five Kings, the Lannister army had most of the territory and the more numerous army, and they chose to be with the Lannister.

Conclusion: Tyrells are coward lords.

The real question is why did Stannis push them towards such a path. But the answer is obvious: because Stannis can't really think out of the box and is way too proud to see the big picture.

The Tyrells are just coward dogs...

Seeing these quotes chronologically made me laugh.

LuisDantas: well, they were pushed into it by Stannis.

Lord Stannis: Cuz they're traitors!!!

Like other posters have said, the Tyrells can only survive as Lords of the Reach if the realm is united under the Iron Throne. Their house isn't an old and proud one like the Starks or Lannisters, and they more than any other house have powerful bannermen waiting to usurp them (Florents, Redwynes, Tarlys)

Like other posters have said, the Tyrells can only survive as Lords of the Reach if the realm is united under the Iron Throne. Their house isn't an old and proud one like the Starks or Lannisters, and they more than any other house have powerful bannermen waiting to usurp them (Florents, Redwynes, Tarlys)

Yeah,and the House Hightower is MUCH more powerful. If they start a rebellion against the Tyrells they would win.

You see that the Tyrells have always been on the strongest side. When Aegon invaded the Reach(with dragons on the army),they surrended Highgarden. After, on Robert's Rebellion, the Targaryens had 2,000 more soldiers, so they stood on the strongest(but not winner) side. Finally, during the War of the Five Kings, the Lannister army had most of the territory and the more numerous army, and they chose to be with the Lannister.

And this makes their action harder to predict when the Targayeans aka. Denearys and co. comes to Westeros......."hmmmmmm....we've prepared the throne for your return your Grace.....?"

Archived