Who? Starting off SoW with only watching the show.

Wowwars

Cleos Frey is sort of an envoy. He originally appears as a captive of Robb Stark who journeys to King's Landing to present Robb's peace terms. These are rejected by Tyrion and Cleos then carries Joffrey's terms back to Riverrun. He tells Catelyn that Tyrion swore to release Sansa and Arya for Jaime in open court. So Catelyn releases Jaime to Brienne and Cleos to take him to King's Landing.

You'll also encounter Meera and Jojen Reed. They're somewhat important figures in Bran's arc that first appear in Clash of Kings. It would probably be a good idea to browse the genealogies in the back of aSoS and bring other questions to this forum.

That or read the amazing novels that are A Game of Thrones, and A Clash of Kings. So much more than what you saw in the series in those books.

Well I have no clue who This Cleos frey dude is doing with Jamie and the tall manchick. Its just really disturbing me. Is there any other minor characters i should get to know about before reading along?

He was called "Alton Lannister" on the show.

I would second what JimWolf said about looking at the family trees. Look at the Tullys in particular. There's a lot more of Catelyn's family in the books than the show.

I know, this is an obvious thing for a fan to say, but you really, *really* should read the other two books first. At least Clash of Kings. The first season stayed faithful to the first book but things really changed a lot in the second season. You will be lost on a lot of things.

Part of me wants to tell the OP that he really needs to read the first two books first. The other part thinks this could be a hilarious demonstration of the unfaithfulness of the show to the books. Just you wait till you get to the first Cat chapter. You're in for a big surprise.

Well, in terms of books and series, the first season stayed faithful to the books, honestly... you could probably jump right into Clash of Kings, HOWEVER... the second season took a whole lot more liberties, and things got changed a lot, not to mention a lot of characters didn't appear. That being said, I'd say read both of the other books first, but if not at least read A Clash of Kings. That should get you by on reading ASoS.

Well I have no clue who This Cleos frey dude is doing with Jamie and the tall manchick. Its just really disturbing me. Is there any other minor characters i should get to know about before reading along?

There's going to be quite a few people you won't recognize or know if you don't read the first two books. At the very least read CoK. Show or no show, you shouldn't start this series with the third book. There's way too much important detail that they haven't or couldn't include in the show that will make no sense to you if you read from book 3 onward.

To the OP ICAM w/everyone else. S1 stays fairly true to AGOY, BUT you miss a lot too, important stuff concerning Ned's memories and other internal dialogue. Plus, characters aren't shown in S1 that appear in AGOT that'll appear later. I say read book 1-2 first.

The plot itself doesn't change too seriously, but there are a lot of fascinating characters that will become important later on, even in AGOT. Some are Catelyn's relatives. And there is a lot more detail, which helps in understanding some of the subtler sides of the likes of Varys or even Jaime.

Do what you want, Wowwars. You don't *have* to read CoK. For mine own selfish reasons, I'd love for you to not bother, but continue to ask questions on this forum. Protar said it best...

this could be a hilarious demonstration of the unfaithfulness of the show to the books.

Archived