A Thread for Small Questions XIX

Angalin

I'm wondering how Ser Barristan could have recorded his own dismissal from the Kingsguard in the White Book. As I understand it, as soon as Ser Barristan left the throne room, Joffrey sent the City Watch after him to apprehend him. And then we learn later that Barristan had killed two Watchmen as he fled the city. So how could Barristan have had the time to go into the White Room, record his dismissal, and then get out of the city without anyone noticing?

Joffrey probably commanded Barristan's arrest, and then Janos Slynt put out the order, and it took some time for those guys to reach White Sword Tower, or something.

Edit. I just went back and saw someone addressed this much better than me.

No one gave him much of any credit for saving the city. If fact, they left him with the dead, dying, and poor. You would think a dwarf with nice clothes, and jewells would have been noticed, but his father said it wasn't meant as a slight on him, and as soon as he was found, they got him a maester.

yes that's true but Tywin said he didn't want Tyrion to rule house Lannister but Jaime is a White sword , so what was his plan to releave Jaime of his duty's

Mine's a geography question.

Is Westeros a country, a continent, or both? And if it is a continent, does that mean Essos and Sothoryos are as well? Are they the only continents, or just the only ones we/the characters know of? Is there no 'Northoros' or something? And assuming the Others only come from the Lands of Always Winter, does that mean they only ever threaten Westeros, or is winter a threat to Essos and Sothoryos as well?

I realise that looks like a like of questions, but they're all linked, promise! ;)

Westeros is a continent, so are Essos and Sothoryos. There is no Northoros, but Westeros is connected to the north pole of the planet. When you look at a map, you'll see that Essos isn't connected to the pole and Sothoryos is in the very far south. So the logical conclusion is that the Others aren't a threat to them unless they can sail the vast seas, but who knows. But even though the Others may not be a threat to the rest of the continets, this doesn't mean that the cold climate won't be a danger.

Westeros is a continent, so are Essos and Sothoryos. There is no Northoros, but Westeros is connected to the north pole of the planet. When you look at a map, you'll see that Essos isn't connected to the pole and Sothoryos is in the very far south. So the logical conclusion is that the Others aren't a threat to them unless they can sail the vast seas, but who knows. But even though the Others may not be a threat to the rest of the continets, this doesn't mean that the cold climate won't be a danger.

Ah, thank you! I had been looking at the map, which was the main reason I started wondering about the Others. I remembered reading something about dead things in the water around Hardholme (?) but I wasn't sure what those things are or whether they'd be able to spread to Essos and beyond.

Ah, thank you! I had been looking at the map, which was the main reason I started wondering about the Others. I remembered reading something about dead things in the water around Hardholme (?) but I wasn't sure what those things are or whether they'd be able to spread to Essos and beyond.

If the Others win, I would imagine the oceans will freeze or sea levels will drop low enough for the Others to march to the eastern continents.

It seems to me that many skip the knighting and go straight to Lord. Ser Bronn could have knighted him but it doesnt seem to be something he seeks.

(Its not skipping. Knighthood and lordships are different things.) it doesn't seem that Tyrion desires to be knighted. I'm not sure why Podrick didn't get knighted along with the hundreds other men in the aftermath of the battle.

Was it ever stated who knighted Brienne or if she squired for anyone?

If the Others win, I would imagine the oceans will freeze or sea levels will drop low enough for the Others to march to the eastern continents.

They may even walk on the sea bottom. Remember the crew from the The Black Pearl?

One tiny little issue has been bugging me for some time. Sorry if its been brought up ages ago.

In ADWD when Cersei hears that Jaime has disappeared and gone off with some woman, she is told that it may be Brienne of Tarth. And Cersei remembers Brienne as being big and shambling and ugly (or words to that effect - haven't got the book to hand), and says that Jaime would never go off with a woman like that. It's seems quite clear that Cersei is remembering Brienne as she (Cersei) had seen her, not just as someone described Brienne.

But - WHEN did Cersei ever actually see Brienne to make that assessment??

Think about it. When they arrive back in KL, Jaime sends Brienne into protective custody because of Loras, and she apparently stays there until that scene in the White Tower where Jaime ends up giving her Oathkeeper. After which Brienne heads off on her quest for Sansa. There's no indication that Brienne ever went into the actual royal court (which she would avoid if possible), and I can't see Cersei spending time down near the stables or practice yard, LOL, so how / when would Cersei ever have seen her?

Is this just a little glitch in GRRM's writing, like the horse that changed sex and colour?

Mine's a geography question.

Is Westeros a country, a continent, or both? And if it is a continent, does that mean Essos and Sothoryos are as well? Are they the only continents, or just the only ones we/the characters know of? Is there no 'Northoros' or something? And assuming the Others only come from the Lands of Always Winter, does that mean they only ever threaten Westeros, or is winter a threat to Essos and Sothoryos as well?

I realise that looks like a like of questions, but they're all linked, promise! ;)

We don't know....yet

looks like all your questions will be answered soon.....

http://grrm.livejournal.com/283248.html

Rinso is correct. But I'll add we haven't seen the whole world. And GRRM says we won't see the whole world. Implying there could be more landmasses. But he could also mean that we won't visit every city he mentions.

(Its not skipping. Knighthood and lordships are different things.) it doesn't seem that Tyrion desires to be knighted. I'm not sure why Podrick didn't get knighted along with the hundreds other men in the aftermath of the battle.

Was it ever stated who knighted Brienne or if she squired for anyone?

Podrick probably didn't get knighted because no one really knows what he did during the battle. Squires only fight if they absolutely have to. And he can't really boast about what he did. He can't tell the world he killed a member of the Kingsguard, someone fighting on the same team. He is also probably getting bypassed simply because of his association and loyalty to Tyrion.

But Brienne is not a knight, and never squired. I doubt any knight in Westeros would consent to having a female squire. She learned from Tarth's master-at-arms

yes that's true but Tywin said he didn't want Tyrion to rule house Lannister but Jaime is a White sword , so what was his plan to releave Jaime of his duty's

I was answering why wasn't Tyrion knighted after Blackwater.

As to What plan Tywin plan was, I don't think he had one (yet) Jamie refused to leave KG.

One tiny little issue has been bugging me for some time. Sorry if its been brought up ages ago.

In ADWD when Cersei hears that Jaime has disappeared and gone off with some woman, she is told that it may be Brienne of Tarth. And Cersei remembers Brienne as being big and shambling and ugly (or words to that effect - haven't got the book to hand), and says that Jaime would never go off with a woman like that. It's seems quite clear that Cersei is remembering Brienne as she (Cersei) had seen her, not just as someone described Brienne.

But - WHEN did Cersei ever actually see Brienne to make that assessment??

Think about it. When they arrive back in KL, Jaime sends Brienne into protective custody because of Loras, and she apparently stays there until that scene in the White Tower where Jaime ends up giving her Oathkeeper. After which Brienne heads off on her quest for Sansa. There's no indication that Brienne ever went into the actual royal court (which she would avoid if possible), and I can't see Cersei spending time down near the stables or practice yard, LOL, so how / when would Cersei ever have seen her?

Is this just a little glitch in GRRM's writing, like the horse that changed sex and colour?

She could have met her at some other point in their lives. Cersei was queen and did quite a bit of traveling. And many people did come to court to gain favor. Not out of the realm of possibility she met her some other time.

But I do think you are right about them not seeing each other in King's Landing.

I was answering why wasn't Tyrion knighted after Blackwater.

As to What plan Tywin plan was, I don't think he had one (yet) Jamie refused to leave KG.

I think Tywin thought that Jaime would eventually give in. But Tywin doesn't ever learn about Jaime's new sense of honor.

I'm re-reading Clash of Kings and I came across this puzzler.

In Ch. 50, in which Theon discovers Bran and Rickon have escaped, we have this sentence

"Osha. He had suspected her from the moment he saw that second cup."

I have no idea what this is referring to. What second cup?

Thanks. Oh, and hi everyone. First time posting.

In Ch. 50, in which Theon discovers Bran and Rickon have escaped, we have this sentence

I believe he's referring to the two cups that were found near the dead body of one of his guards, indicating that he had been drinking with another person right before he died.

Thanks. Oh, and hi everyone. First time posting.

Welcome to the forums. I agree with Dragonfish, that is how I read it as well.

Archived