A Thread for Small Questions XIX

Angalin

I was rereading ADWD and noticed Mellisandre mentioning Melony and Lot Seven does anyone have a clue what she is talking about?

As King Doug says, Melony is most likely her real name. The "Lot Seven" part is most likely a hint that she was sold into slavery. Re-read the scene where Tyrion and Ser Jorah are sold as slaves, and you should see the slavers refer to the places displaying the slaves as "lots."

Thanks everyone for the Brienne knighthood answers! I guess I got so used to thinking of her as an ideal knight that I overlooked the fact she's not a Ser. It would be interesting if Jaime knighted her though.

Which Northern house rules the Ramsgate?

Thanks everyone for the Brienne knighthood answers! I guess I got so used to thinking of her as an ideal knight that I overlooked the fact she's not a Ser. It would be interesting if Jaime knighted her though.

Which Northern house rules the Ramsgate?

I'm gonna assume House Flint, since the Wiki tells me it is close to Widow's Watch. Gotta ask, why the heck did you ask about Ramsgate?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ramsgate

I'm gonna assume House Flint, since the Wiki tells me it is close to Widow's Watch. Gotta ask, why the heck did you ask about Ramsgate?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ramsgate

Well, the Wiki didn't state a house (but assigns the Flints to Widow's Watch). Some friends and I were bouncing around the idea of trying the ASOIAF tabletop rpg. One friend wanted his character to be from that region, but we couldn't find the house. It didn't seem like a question that needed its own thread.

What part did House Stark play against the Greyjoy rebellion if they have no ships?

This is not Stark but Stannis Baratheon did defeat Victarion on the sea - his only defeat - during the Greyjoy Rebellion. All the Stark fighting seems to have been on land.

At Tyrion's "confession" at the Eyrie he notices a huge crowd including some sigils he doesnt recognize. One is a Winged Chalice. Now, I know GRRM wrote Dunk and Egg stories as prequels so not sure if he remembered that he put a Pennytree man in the Eyrie - has anyone else seen this sigil in the 5 books?

At Tyrion's "confession" at the Eyrie he notices a huge crowd including some sigils he doesnt recognize. One is a Winged Chalice. Now, I know GRRM wrote Dunk and Egg stories as prequels so not sure if he remembered that he put a Pennytree man in the Eyrie - has anyone else seen this sigil in the 5 books?

it's House Hersy's sigil, one of the Vale's banner men. The knight who Dunk squired for has the Winged Chalice as his sigil. But the knight is suppose to be from the river lands, not the vale. So I suspect there are some details still missing.

One tiny little issue has been bugging me for some time. Sorry if its been brought up ages ago.

In ADWD when Cersei hears that Jaime has disappeared and gone off with some woman, she is told that it may be Brienne of Tarth. And Cersei remembers Brienne as being big and shambling and ugly (or words to that effect - haven't got the book to hand), and says that Jaime would never go off with a woman like that. It's seems quite clear that Cersei is remembering Brienne as she (Cersei) had seen her, not just as someone described Brienne.

But - WHEN did Cersei ever actually see Brienne to make that assessment??

Think about it. When they arrive back in KL, Jaime sends Brienne into protective custody because of Loras, and she apparently stays there until that scene in the White Tower where Jaime ends up giving her Oathkeeper. After which Brienne heads off on her quest for Sansa. There's no indication that Brienne ever went into the actual royal court (which she would avoid if possible), and I can't see Cersei spending time down near the stables or practice yard, LOL, so how / when would Cersei ever have seen her?

Is this just a little glitch in GRRM's writing, like the horse that changed sex and colour?

remember the conversation with Varys and Littlefinger in the first season of the show, in the throne room?

When was the last time I saw you?

With your own eyes?

With eyes, I own...

it's House Hersy's sigil, one of the Vale's banner men. The knight who Dunk squired for has the Winged Chalice as his sigil. But the knight is suppose to be from the river lands, not the vale. So I suspect there are some details still missing.

Yes, Pennytree is in the Riverlands between Stone Hedge and Raventree.

I was wondering if this was a slip on GRRM's part. I only noticed it again upon rereading.

In the Arya IV chapter of SoS when they visit Acorn Hall, the BwB doesn't let Lady Smallwood know Arya's identity, except that she's highborn. Lady Smallwood even says it's for the better that she doesn't know. That's when they're eating supper. Afterwards comes the part where Arya and Gendry do some wrestling in the smithy. When they come back to the hall all dirtied up, Lem reprimands Gendry but Arya says it was her fault. Then Harwin says something like, "I really was Arya, she was much the same at Winterfell."

Which made me think, "Hang on, I thought they didn't want Lady Smallwood to know who she was??"

So why did Harwin just say that out loud right in front of Lady Smallwood?

Lem let her know Arya was highborn when they first got there. Clearly when Arya and Gendry returned to Acorn Hall Lady Smallwood was there. She referred to a song Tom had just sung when she remarked that she didnt have dresses of leaves. She was part of the conversation.

BwB messes up all the time.

Marie

Hello guys, I have yet another question. Or a few. :dunce:

After the battle of the Trident, Robert was too injured so he got Ned to pursue Rhaegar's host back to King's Landing for him. My question is, how much time did it take for Ned and company to chase them back to the city? I mean, King's Landing is no short distance (seems like it could be a four-day ride if you galloped fast enough???). Obviously, they ran after them on horses, but they'd just finished this big battle, hadn't they? They must've been exhausted (both Ned's camp and Rhaegar's). I was wondering if they ran after them right after the battle was over or if they let them get away a day ahead of time. Knowing Robert, he could have possibly made Ned pursue them as soon as the battle ended. But being realistic, shouldn't these guys at least get some rest?

And I was also wondering how the pursuit went. I have a feeling it was something similar to how the the Night's Watch was pursued by the Others after the attack on the Fist. Like, the rebels trying to catch up and kill as many of Rhaegar's men as possible. What are your thoughts?

Oh, and do correct me if I've made some errors in geography or in judging Robert's character. LOL

Hello guys, I have yet another question. Or a few. :dunce:

After the battle of the Trident, Robert was too injured so he got Ned to pursue Rhaegar's host back to King's Landing for him. My question is, how much time did it take for Ned and company to chase them back to the city? I mean, King's Landing is no short distance (seems like it could be a four-day ride if you galloped fast enough???). Obviously, they ran after them on horses, but they'd just finished this big battle, hadn't they? They must've been exhausted (both Ned's camp and Rhaegar's). I was wondering if they ran after them right after the battle was over or if they let them get away a day ahead of time. Knowing Robert, he could have possibly made Ned pursue them as soon as the battle ended. But being realistic, shouldn't these guys at least get some rest?

And I was also wondering how the pursuit went. I have a feeling it was something similar to how the the Night's Watch was pursued by the Others after the attack on the Fist. Like, the rebels trying to catch up and kill as many of Rhaegar's men as possible. What are your thoughts?

Oh, and do correct me if I've made some errors in geography or in judging Robert's character. LOL

IIRC they weren't chasing R army(which was broken) they where racing against Tywins Army(who they thought was on Targ side) to get to KL and to the king.

IIRC they weren't chasing R army(which was broken) they where racing against Tywins Army(who they thought was on Targ side) to get to KL and to the king.

oh, okay. thanks!

now i'm just puzzled as to whether they took a breather before riding for king's landing or not... it just seems a little weird not to take a break after a battle, but who knows? :)

Has Arya known about the reason of her father alleged treason against joff? if she has, when?

- Was there any territory or kingdom in Europe in the middle ages that has the same stand against slavery as westros? and what are the reasons behind prohibiting slavery in westros?

In AFFC, Sam is talking to the guy who inspects the Cinnamon Wind, about all the Ironborn ships, and what's going on, and Sam says to the guy that his father Lord Tarly always said that House Hightower is as rich as the Lannisters, and that they command 3 times more men than any other Bannermen to House Tyrell. Is this true, is House Hightower that rich and powerful? I mean, even the Wiki says so, so I guess it must be true?

I know they controll Oldtown, but still, that's a lot of power for a House that's not even considered one of the "Seven Great Houses"(Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Arryn, Tully, Tyrell, and Martell).

Edit.

If that's the case, how in the hell did Leyton Hightower allow his daughter Lynesse to marry Ser Jorah of Bear freaking Island? He is so far below such a dominant House?

In AFFC, Sam is talking to the guy who inspects the Cinnamon Wind, about all the Ironborn ships, and what's going on, and Sam says to the guy that his father Lord Tarly always said that House Hightower is as rich as the Lannisters, and that they command 3 times more men than any other Bannermen to House Tyrell. Is this true, is House Hightower that rich and powerful? I mean, even the Wiki says so, so I guess it must be true?

I know they controll Oldtown, but still, that's a lot of power for a House that's not even considered one of the "Seven Great Houses"(Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Arryn, Tully, Tyrell, and Martell).

Edit.

If that's the case, how in the hell did Leyton Hightower allow his daughter Lynesse to marry Ser Jorah of Bear freaking Island? He is so far below such a dominant House?

The only reason that the great houses are called the great houses is because their head of house is also the high lord of the region. This does not necessarily have to do with wealth and power but rather whom the king designates as high lord.

Therefore house Hightower can't be considered one of the Great Houses since the Tyrells are overlords of the reach.

Its not really a good answer to your question, just some thoughts

The only reason that the great houses are called the great houses is because their head of house is also the high lord of the region. This does not necessarily have to do with wealth and power but rather whom the king designates as high lord.

Therefore house Hightower can't be considered one of the Great Houses since the Tyrells are overlords of the reach.

Its not really a good answer to your question, just some thoughts

Yeah I know what your saying. I wonder why the wealth of House Hightower is never talked about like that of the Lannisters?

So is House Florent like the second Largest Bannermen to House Tyrell, after House Hightower? Or would it be House Redwyne, or Tarly? Because if it is House Florent that would mean that House Hightower has about 30-40 men right? Because didn't the Florents have somewhere around 10-15 thousand men(most of them went to Stannis after Renly died), and Sam said his father always said House Hightower commanded three times more men than any other Tyrell Bannermen, and "even more if they count the cobblestones", is what the book says.

I am not sure how many men House Redwyne commands, I know they have 200 war ships in their fleet, and a thousand merchant ships, so maybe they are the second biggest Bannermen to the Tyrell's, next to House Hightower?

And I have no idea how many men are specifically under House Tarly. I do know that Randyll Tarly often commands a large part of the Tyrell army, but that's because he is an awesome war General, and not necessarily because they all are sworn to House Tarly. So it's hard to say how many men House Tarly has. I am trying to figure out the second largest Bannermen to House Tyrell, that way I can multiply that number by 3 or 4, and figure out how many men belong to House Hightower.

That's crazy though, I don't know how it escaped me on all my other rereads, but I just now caught that tonight, I had no idea House Hightower was so powerful.

In aDwD, when Dany meets Quaithe, she says: NO. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

The kraken is Victarion, the Lion is Tyrion, the griffin is Jon Connington, the sun's son is Quentyn, and the mummer's dragon is Aegon. who is the dark flame?

Archived