A Thread for Small Questions XIX

Angalin

I know being a knight is mostly a Southron thing, but many Northman have become Knights, so I was just wondering. I am pretty sure there is no record of such in the books, but I did not know if maybe there was an SSM saying that it's happened.

Well, Bran wanted to become a Kingsguard and nobody thought it was an unheard of precedent, so there you are.

The assumption that there are no knights in the North is a common misconception.

I always thought it was more of a sign of the North wanting little to do with the South but that's a good explanation. There are only seven positions on the KG after all and it is for life. With just three hundred years of history it's not that old of a tradition nor have there been that many men in the KG compared to the history of the Wall especially for the North.

Just to chime in on the Northern knights and Kingsguard from the North conversation. A knighthood is only associated with the worship of the

Seven. And yes, you have to be a knight to be in the Kingsguard, the Hound being the only exception but someone already pointed out the controversy of the matter.

There are a few knights in the North. But the only knights from the North are from the houses that follow the Seven, and those are very few. We know the Manderlys have quite a few knights, and Wyman's sons are knighted. And the Manderlys worship the Seven. We also know of Jorah Mormont being knighted. The only other example I can think of is Ser Rodrik Cassel.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there haven't been and KG members from the North. The North has always kept to itself since Aegon's Landing. They haven't participated in any of the rebellions (other than Robert's), and the Targaryen Kings/Queens VERY rarely visited the North (I can only think of once).

Perhaps it is akin to Balon Greyjoy referring to his two "sons" Asha and Theon - more of an operational definition

but Asha is Balon's child while Dalla's baby is not related in any way (at least it is not known) to Craster.

Anyway, thank you all for your answers :)

I was wondering if this was a slip on GRRM's part. I only noticed it again upon rereading.

In the Arya IV chapter of SoS when they visit Acorn Hall, the BwB doesn't let Lady Smallwood know Arya's identity, except that she's highborn. Lady Smallwood even says it's for the better that she doesn't know. That's when they're eating supper. Afterwards comes the part where Arya and Gendry do some wrestling in the smithy. When they come back to the hall all dirtied up, Lem reprimands Gendry but Arya says it was her fault. Then Harwin says something like, "I really was Arya, she was much the same at Winterfell."

Which made me think, "Hang on, I thought they didn't want Lady Smallwood to know who she was??"

So why did Harwin just say that out loud right in front of Lady Smallwood?

I was wondering if this was a slip on GRRM's part. I only noticed it again upon rereading.

In the Arya IV chapter of SoS when they visit Acorn Hall, the BwB doesn't let Lady Smallwood know Arya's identity, except that she's highborn. Lady Smallwood even says it's for the better that she doesn't know. That's when they're eating supper. Afterwards comes the part where Arya and Gendry do some wrestling in the smithy. When they come back to the hall all dirtied up, Lem reprimands Gendry but Arya says it was her fault. Then Harwin says something like, "I really was Arya, she was much the same at Winterfell."

Which made me think, "Hang on, I thought they didn't want Lady Smallwood to know who she was??"

So why did Harwin just say that out loud right in front of Lady Smallwood?

You sure Lady Smallwood was actually in the hall at that point?

About Gilly's son, they were thinking of a name, and Sam was thinking that he is Mance's son, Sam knows that, but to the world he is Crasters grandson, so he needs to have a good hardy name. One deserving of his true father, and befitting his fake grandfather. That's the way I always saw it, I don't think it was a mistake.

Also, I am pretty sure Mance was fathered by a man of the Nights Watch and his mother was a Wildling, so I don't know why anybody would think Craster was his sire.

You sure Lady Smallwood was actually in the hall at that point?

Good point there, and I wanted to think that she might have slipped out at some point but in the paragraph right after that, I think (I don't have the books with me, sorry), Lady Smallwood suddenly said that Arya should have her clothes changed or something like that. So I'm guessing she was in the hall the entire time.

ETA: Unless Harwin only said it loudly enough for Lem to hear? LOL. Anyway, I'll give GRRM the benefit of the doubt. And if it was a slip, it wasn't that big anyway. :ohwell:

Hi , i don't know if this has been asked but why wasn't Tyrion knighted after the Blackwater ? Or why wasn't Pod knighted they fought very good

I think it's because they considered it a "victory" for Tywin and the Tyrells', so Tyrion pretty much lay forgotten. And Cersei and Joff aren't on good terms with him either, so a knighthood seems out of the question. (Maybe that was an understatement on Cersei and Joffrey's part. Haha!)

Also, I am pretty sure Mance was fathered by a man of the Nights Watch and his mother was a Wildling, so I don't know why anybody would think Craster was his sire.

Well, Craster was fathered by a man of the Night's Watch. We don't know about Mance's father, do we? He could be Craster's son, the one that got away - somehow. But at this point, as many pointed out already, how would Sam know about that? And would Gilly know?

About Gilly's son, they were thinking of a name, and Sam was thinking that he is Mance's son, Sam knows that, but to the world he is Crasters grandson, so he needs to have a good hardy name. One deserving of his true father, and befitting his fake grandfather. That's the way I always saw it, I don't think it was a mistake.

Thank you, that makes more sense than anything I've read or thought of so far.

I think it's because they considered it a "victory" for Tywin and the Tyrells', so Tyrion pretty much lay forgotten. And Cersei and Joff aren't on good terms with him either, so a knighthood seems out of the question. (Maybe that was an understatement on Cersei and Joffrey's part. Haha!)

A purposeful slight by his family.

Hi , i don't know if this has been asked but why wasn't Tyrion knighted after the Blackwater ? Or why wasn't Pod knighted they fought very good

It seems to me that many skip the knighting and go straight to Lord. Ser Bronn could have knighted him but it doesnt seem to be something he seeks.

I'm wondering how Ser Barristan could have recorded his own dismissal from the Kingsguard in the White Book. As I understand it, as soon as Ser Barristan left the throne room, Joffrey sent the City Watch after him to apprehend him. And then we learn later that Barristan had killed two Watchmen as he fled the city. So how could Barristan have had the time to go into the White Room, record his dismissal, and then get out of the city without anyone noticing?

I'm wondering how Ser Barristan could have recorded his own dismissal from the Kingsguard in the White Book. As I understand it, as soon as Ser Barristan left the throne room, Joffrey sent the City Watch after him to apprehend him. And then we learn later that Barristan had killed two Watchmen as he fled the city. So how could Barristan have had the time to go into the White Room, record his dismissal, and then get out of the city without anyone noticing?

Ser Barristan first went to the Tower to collect his stuff and write his final entry in the White Book, then he went to the stables. Janos Slynt and some guardsmen were waiting for him there to ambush him and that's when his flight began.

No one gave him much of any credit for saving the city. If fact, they left him with the dead, dying, and poor. You would think a dwarf with nice clothes, and jewells would have been noticed, but his father said it wasn't meant as a slight on him, and as soon as he was found, they got him a maester.

What part did House Stark play against the Greyjoy rebellion if they have no ships?

They don't have ships but they have troops. They could have landed on the islands with Stannis' fleet or what was remaining from the Lannisters'.

What part did House Stark play against the Greyjoy rebellion if they have no ships?

They have no ships but there were plenty of ships available to give them a ride so they can do some ass-kicking. The Redwyne fleet, or the royal fleet (commanded by Stannis). Just like the Marines in the U.S. military. They just hitch a ride with the Navy (yes I know the Marines are part of the Navy, but that's essentially how it works).

Archived