Who will win the battle of Winterfell?

In the books, I just expect a bunch of horrifying stuff to continually happen. At this point, after readin all the previous thread posts back to 2012, realizing I once was so certain about Stannis, then the show spoiling the 'end game' and all... I have a sad feeling after Ramsay finds out his Reek and fake Arya are gone he will flay the obese Lord Wyman Manderly. It will be sick and distugusting. The Manderlys at White Harbor will remain a threat.

Also, if anyone is interested in a related topic I was reading the "Alyanne" sample chapter from Winds Of Winter, and realized after watching season 5 that the Miranda character from the show is the the Miranda charcter that accomanies her in The Vale. She wants Harry the Heir, and Harry is a bastard just like Ramsay who will reveal his sadistic, high-born jealous nature after they are wed.

There is a big difference between killing Stannis "early" and the way Stannis was killed in the show. He wasn't just killed early, like Selmy or Myrcella, he was stripped of literally everything including his brain before being killed by Brienne of Tarth.

So the question goes beyond will Stannis lose the battle of winterfell, as unlikley as that seems, and is more along the lines of whether or not the show was true to the spirit of his death, e.g. that he dies also in the books a broken man, who has lost it all, and dies for nothing, anonymously, not even given a good death.

I hope this isn't the case considering how much time has been spent on Stannis Baratheon and his evolving character since he killed Renly, but even acknowledging the showrunners hate his character, I question whether they would really diverge that significantly from Martin's ultimate plan for Stannis.

There is a big difference between killing Stannis "early" and the way Stannis was killed in the show. He wasn't just killed early, like Selmy or Myrcella, he was stripped of literally everything including his brain before being killed by Brienne of Tarth.

So the question goes beyond will Stannis lose the battle of winterfell, as unlikley as that seems, and is more along the lines of whether or not the show was true to the spirit of his death, e.g. that he dies also in the books a broken man, who has lost it all, and dies for nothing, anonymously, not even given a good death.

I hope this isn't the case considering how much time has been spent on Stannis Baratheon and his evolving character since he killed Renly, but even acknowledging the showrunners hate his character, I question whether they would really diverge that significantly from Martin's ultimate plan for Stannis.

They brought us Dorne...so there is no real limit to their diverging

I think Wyman dies in Winterfell from the wounds inflicted to his throat/neck by Ser Hosteen. I think the Manderly's attack the Freys in the field and if that does not finish them, the "swiss cheese" ice field will finish them as Stannis has time to move the encampment to the Isle and lead his enemies onto unstable ground. However, I think Glover, Davos, Osha and Rickon along with Shaggy Dog and another secret host from White Harbor will sail up the river in the south of Winterfell and lead a surprise attack on the Boltons and the shit will get bloody. The end of House Bolton is at hand.

They brought us Dorne...so there is no real limit to their diverging

Literally nothing happened in Dorne, so it barely counts as divergence, it's just replacing GRRM filler with their own filler, since I doubt anyone thinks Myrcella is going to live to the end.

While I am really hoping that Stannis does a number on the Boltons, it looks as though he'll deal with the Freys and potentially the Manderlys until super Ramsay pulls of something unexpected and manages to finish off his army. I mean, you can say "what battles has the bastard won that I should fear him?" but its worth noting that the last time there was a battle outside Winterfell Ramsay only lost about 20 men.

"what battles has the bastard won that I should fear him?"

Stannis sounds like a badass here, but I'm wondering whether he is overconfident. Maybe GRRM wants to pull a pride comes before a fall move. He may give us the Freys drowning in the lake and then slap us in the face by making Stannis lose against the Boltons eventually.

I suspect the showrunners are just taking a massive shortcut. Their hatred of Stannis plus their inability to appreciate the political intricacies of the series only makes it easier I guess. Rickon will end up as the Lord in both the show and the series. It will be Sansa/LF who put him there in the show (something that cannot possibly happen in the books) whereas it will be Stannis who does so in the books before he heads south. Dany in the show will sweep all before her when she comes to Westeros but in the books Stannis and Aegon will make a it a little bit more difficult. There's absolutely no way Stannis loses the battle. The only question is how he wins the battle not if.

Literally nothing happened in Dorne, so it barely counts as divergence, it's just replacing GRRM filler with their own filler, since I doubt anyone thinks Myrcella is going to live to the end.

It's a huge divergence. A lot happens in Dorne which has nothing to do with Myrcela in the books. I should have thought that was fairly obvious.

Stannis sounds like a badass here, but I'm wondering whether he is overconfident. Maybe GRRM wants to pull a pride comes before a fall move. He may give us the Freys drowning in the lake and then slap us in the face by making Stannis lose against the Boltons eventually.

He's not overconfident. That was a reply to Theon's Ramsay worship. Stannis realizes he's not in the greatest of situation until the Freys and Manderley's come at him.

I don't know why people are so worried, the show has demonstrated it completely abandons the books whenever DnD choose to do so. Season 5 foreshadows nothing for book 6, sets nothing in stone. And even if events are similar, they will be far more satisfying and true to character in TWoW than the show.

While I agree the book will be far more expansive and likely enriching experience I have a hard time believing the ending of Season 5 is not covering stuff from Winds of Winter. D&D may condense and dilute the books but they are following the same long term path and Stannis losing to the Boltons doesn't seem like something they would change. Remember that the battle was already written some time ago so D&D will have had access to this and incorporated it into the S5 finale. I feel it's most likely they brought it forward to close off Stannis arc but the fact we don't see his death on screen does give me hope...

Or the show can just actually go in depth and make each season equal to half a book...

True, they could have spent the Dance of Dragons length study of Meereenian social etiquette for a season. And watched their viewership plummet. You have to consider that the show cant be the books- you dont have an infinite amount of money to make every set imaginable, you cant do every character because tv viewers simply cant keep track of them, and you cant do a slow burn for too long because tv viewers will mutiny and go watch a real housewife.

Im not saying theyve done a perfect job with the show, but i understand their reasoning. Too much crap in the back nine of the books takes too long and brings in too many new characters.

The Boltons will eventually win as evidenced by S05E10. Obviously Stannis's death will be different, at the hands of Ramsay probably, especially after Stannis brags about why he should fear Ramsay.

The Bastard of Winterfell wrote the Pink Letter with the help of Mance Rayder after all.

Go to the show forums if all you want to do is talk about the shows. The books are not the shows and "as evidenced by s5E10" is not a real thing, it is evidence of nothing.

I can just as easily say that Brienne killing Stannis in the show is evidence Stannsi wins the battle since Brienne is not at hand to kill him afterwards.

I was talking about the books, the Battle of Winterfell that is coming. My prediction is that the Boltons win and the Pink Letter was written by Ramsay.

It's just a prediction, no need to get angry about it.

Don't forget: he is supposed to be the best military commander in Westeros. The best military commander in Westeros will not march upon a fortress w/o siege equipment, in broad daylight, with no reconnaissance/protection on his flanks. No Sir, it will not be like this in the books.

Even if he loses (Seven Hells no!) he will give his opponents helluva fight.

And ramsaay still managed to fail, when you see the battel scene it looks like ramsay atacks with an all cavalry forsce, with similar size as stanis foot force, were only A few have pole wepons and the rest have swords and it still looks like most of ramsays force are killed

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I don't give a shit what we saw in the show....here's what I predict we will read.....
1. Roose and Ramsey will be safe behind the Walls of Winterfell.
2. Stannis' forces will smash the Freys at this town he is is camped in.
3. The Manderleys will not engage Stannis and the Northemen in Battle.
4. Rickon Stark, Davos, Osha, and a Host of Wildlings from the wall ( and possibly Jon ) will join the Manderleys and the remaining Stannis/ Northmen army and march on Winterfell.
5. Theon will either participate in, or witness Ramsey's death.
6. Theon will die at the Hands of either a Stark or Direwolf.
7. Once Winterfell is liberated from the Boltons , it's on to the Twins!

*To me, it doesn't matter if Stannis survives or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you here. And if I would be Roose Bolton, I would send the Freys, the Manderlys, and in secret - someone else after them (Ramsey), to make sure, they are dead. This could turn out to be the end of Stannis's army. Stannis would defeat the Freys, with the help of the Manderlys, but get surprised by the Boltons. Who would expect them?
Or that is when we will meet the "TV show-s gave-me 20-good man" plan. Ramsay: to spy on the battle, and report the result back to Winterfell. So when the "Stannis is defeated by Manderlys" group returns, Bolton would know, it is fake.  

Edit: spelling

6. Theon will die at the Hands of either a Stark or Direwolf.

Theon may eventually find his end this way, but he still has work to, namely allowing Aeron to call a new kingsmoot, since Theon was a possible heir and was not able to attend the last one.

[spoiler]

This is why Theon is referred to as a "gift" by Tycho Nestoris, the Braavosi Banker, it allows Stannis a simple way to clear the Iron Born out of the North gain a stronger following in the North (and the rest of the kindgom eventually). Since Dagmer holds Torrhen's square it would likely be the easiest way to get Theon home (after an "escape" to insure Stannis does not loose the Northerners loyal to him) and into contact with Aeron whom is looking for a way to negate the kingsmoot that crowned Euron, and remove the last Iron Born holdouts in the North.

This will bring the captains out of the Reach and back home, and possibly put someone less rabid on the throne, especially if the call to kingsmoot comes after some set backs in the Reach. I doubt Theon will win the throne, but I can see a chance that Asha, Rodrik Harlaw or Harras Harlaw may gain the driftwood crown, but more than likely it would take some doing to get Asha crowned.

It fits right into the save the kingdom to win the throne mentality.

[/spoiler]

Archived