Dorothy Dunnett - Amazing Historical Fiction

Nukelavee

This may be my next reading selection.

You have no idea how momentous of a decision this is on my part.

I'm halfway through a re-read of the Niccolo Series, I got it on my KOBO. Its so long since my first read, I've forgotten such a lot.

Before Niccolo I re-read Lymond, and I thoroughly recommend it

I am reading Queen's Play and I am not usually so dense, but I am not sure I really understand the scene where:

Philem and Oonagh kiss. What does he realize that he can't compromise his principles about? She doesn't really love him, but wants something else? His money? She seems in a pretty strong position herself as far as attaining money is concerned. Was she playing him to get him to leave?

I always assumed it was "MART-uh", as opposed to the more Anglicized Martha, which I would pronounce "MART-ah".

See, I was discussing the series with my Dad once after we'd both read it, He pronounced it "Martyr" this shocked me.

I am reading Queen's Play and I am not usually so dense, but I am not sure I really understand the scene where:

Philem and Oonagh kiss. What does he realize that he can't compromise his principles about? She doesn't really love him, but wants something else? His money? She seems in a pretty strong position herself as far as attaining money is concerned. Was she playing him to get him to leave?

I think She's looking for someone to oust the English from Ireland and rule again as King. but I think he Knows ot would cost Ireland to much to have a War of independance

Philem and Oonagh

If I recall correctly, Oonagh's an ardent anti-English nationalist who wants to find and groom a strong figure who'll lead a rebellion to throw the invadin' Saxon bastards out. She obviously has feelings for Phelim, but they're canceled out by her contempt for his 'sure can't we all just get along' attitude.

Whoa whoa whoa... one question about Marthe and Guzel...

Are they lovers?! I was reading about Marthe and someone said they were in a relationship, whaaat?!

I thought so.

A couple of comments Lymond made, in Pawn, i think it was

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, I've read them, assumed Game of Thrones is a reference to Game of Kings (maybe not, though), think Jaime has resemblance to Lymond. I have to say as with AOIF I have trouble ploughing threw them and its against my nature to try and keep track of all the plots and counter plots but nevertheless....

Now I want to read the French series about the kings, not sure if it preceded DD's series, if so, might have been an inspiration to her.

I suppose I liked her portrait of an interconnected Europe with links to the East as well.

• 2 weeks later...

As ever insanely late to the party...

... I believe GRRM has said he hasn't read the Lymond series, and only read some of the Niccoló books, so the Lymond name is probably just one of those he pulled from the baby name books. ...

Things may have changed (it was quite a while ago) since I asked him about this, (and waxed rhapsodic about Dunnett at him), but iirc, George said that he hadn't read any Dunnett at all, other than King Hereafter, but that he was interested in starting the Niccoló series, and I showed him my horrified face and told him he had to read Lymond first. :) What he was mostly interested in, though, was that he'd sort of side-by-side read Dunnett's King Hereafter and Nigel Tranter's Macbeth: The King, and had been fascinated at how two different historical novelists had obviously had access to the same source material, but woven two completely different stories with it. GRRM is more of a Nigel Tranter fan when it comes to Scottish historical authors.

Also, for the other Dunnett fans, the BBC has placed their archives for Desert Island Discs online, and the Dorothy Dunnett episode from 1982 is now accessible from the web. Obviously, this is pre-Lymond, but there are some nice Johnson Johnson tidbits. And I should probably mention that the Dolly books have now been released as ebooks, but the usual title weirdness is happening, so it's the "New" (not the Dolly) titles that are being used. [eyeroll].

I think for me, the coolest thing about how Lymond & Nicholas relate was how all the chapter heading quotes for Gemini were from the original French text that Caxton translated into the Game and Playe of the Chesse from which the chapter heading quotes came for Game of Kings... Also, not being a chess geek, it was interesting to read the Caxton and find out that GRRM is not pulling his cevasse elephant out of thin air. :)

Archived