Are Lannister fans.... evil?

Saxony

Brand new to the forums, still reading the first book GoT.

But I've been checking out the merchandise and I've seen T-shirts at Snorg Tees that say things like, "It's Great to be a Laniister" and "Lannister for President".....

Are there really fans of the series that side with the evil ones?? And if you're here reading this - WHY?

Most people you will find love Tyrion.

Most people you will find hate Cersei.

Other Lannisters become more important and prominent in the series and I think you may end up finding out that, as SUMPTHY says, it is not so black and white as you may think. One of my favorite characters is a Lannister, but I'm not going to go any further into it, at risk of giving you a spoiler.

I see. I should have know better. These books are so twisty turny, with sudden moments of surprising warm fuzzies.... and I don't know all the characters yet....

Like Tyrion so far. Hate Ceresei and Joffrey for sure!

It's fairly obvious to me that Jaime and Tywin are a lot worse than Cersei, who's actions seem to be governed by the love she has for her children as much as any greed for power.

But a woman who's maybe 40% vile will always garner more hatred than a man who is 80% horrid.

It's fairly obvious to me that Jaime and Tywin are a lot worse than Cersei, who's actions seem to be governed by the love she has for her children as much as any greed for power.

But a woman who's maybe 40% vile will always garner more hatred than a man who is 80% horrid.

People who have read further on in the books may feel differently. It's not just because she's female, though I don't disagree with your general premise.

Tywin I came to respect for his uncompromising and ruthlessness as a leader. Jaime became my favourite character. Keep on reading, you will be surprised how your opinions change.

Since they're imaginary characters, I don't really think being a Lannister 'fan' makes you evil. Part of the charm of the Lannisters is that they're so interesting. They're gorgeous (excepting Tyrion), are snazzy dressers, and have loads of money. Plus they're chock full of fascinating defects like incest, murder, insanity...you get the picture.

I adore Jaime. I can't help it. I know he's bound to have some horrid fate awaiting him, but he's so fantastic!

The actor playing Jaime in the HBO show has commented on the exact same phenomenon -- and it's an astute observation.

Since they're imaginary characters, I don't really think being a Lannister 'fan' makes you evil. Part of the charm of the Lannisters is that they're so interesting. They're gorgeous (excepting Tyrion), are snazzy dressers, and have loads of money. Plus they're chock full of fascinating defects like incest, murder, insanity...you get the picture.

I adore Jaime. I can't help it. I know he's bound to have some horrid fate awaiting him, but he's so fantastic!

I could never stand Jamie really. Hope he meets his end soon.

I have not watched the series, but do agree that Jamie is quite the looker.

But are his looks tainting you? Don't answer that because I don't want spoilers. I'm just saying that so far in the first book (almost done), he's not likable.

And I really appreciate how you all are communicating without spoilers. I found out about someone's head on a spike accidentally and it affected my read. Where I should have felt hope there was none because I knew. So I really appreciate the careful wording here.

Brand new to the forums, still reading the first book GoT.

But I've been checking out the merchandise and I've seen T-shirts at Snorg Tees that say things like, "It's Great to be a Laniister" and "Lannister for President".....

Are there really fans of the series that side with the evil ones?? And if you're here reading this - WHY?

I think it differs from person to person. Jaime was my favorite character from the first time he's mentioned in aGoT. Most Jaime fans came to love him for what he does in the series. I don't think of myself as evil, but I think most people read the books from a Stark bias, whereas I immediately began rooting for the Lannisters. As a result, I looked for the reasoning behind every Lannister action as opposed to just hating them for hurting the Starks.

Often it's hard to see the good in our enemy because we're too biased. If you really look deeply into the motivation of both House Stark and House Lannister, you'll realize they both do the things they do to protect those they love.

To answer the OP truthfully, though. . . . . .yes, Lannister fans are evil. :whip: Once you graduate to the General Forum, you will recognize them by their names.

If you find yourself liking a Lannister, I suggest drinking copious amounts of scotch, and then napping until the feeling passes.

To answer the OP truthfully, though. . . . . .yes, Lannister fans are evil. :whip: Once you graduate to the General Forum, you will recognize them by their names.

If you find yourself liking a Lannister, I suggest drinking copious amounts of scotch, and then napping until the feeling passes.

Tyrion's my favorite character and I love his brother and sister! But I've been drinking copious amounts of scotch all week and I still love the Imp

Regarding the OP

Perhaps, but not becasue we like the Lannisters

Often it's hard to see the good in our enemy because we're too biased. If you really look deeply into the motivation of both House Stark and House Lannister, you'll realize they both do the things they do to protect those they love.

Totally. Ned and Cersei's conversation about the lineage of Robert's children revealed they weren't as different as you'd imagine.

Archived