SPOILERS...is Edric Dayne baby Aegon?

AegonTargaryen

Ok, so this may be a bit of crackpot theory, but ever since tHoU in CoK, particularly the scene where Dany sees Rhaegar with his new born son Aegon, and we first hear that a song of ice and fire is about Aegon and that he was the prince that was promised (wtv that means), I've held that baby Aegon was never killed by the mountain, but was smuggled away by Targaryen loyalists after the Trident to preserve the Targaryen line. Now, even though Aegon in particular is the prince that was promised, Rheagar says that there has to be one more, and that the dragon has three heads (Aegon, Dany and Jon anyone???).

Anyways, when Edric mentions that he and Jon were "milk brothers" I immediately thought oh maybe they were more than milk brothers. After all Ned and Jon spent some time in Starfall, and some say Ashara is Jon's mom. Anyways, rereading Arya's description of Edric, he seems to have some Taragryen features, like "blue eyes that almost looked purple". We know that baby Aegon looked like Rhaegar whereas Rhaenys took after Elia, so presumably Aegon would have silver and purple eyes, and be around Edric's age. Now this doesn't prove anything since Dayne's have Targaryen features, but is it possible that Edric is Aegon? Raised in Starfall with the Daynes who are known to be very close to the Targaryens?

Thoughts?

Ok, so this may be a bit of crackpot theory, but ever since tHoU in CoK, particularly the scene where Dany sees Rhaegar with his new born son Aegon, and we first hear that a song of ice and fire is about Aegon and that he was the prince that was promised (wtv that means), I've held that baby Aegon was never killed by the mountain, but was smuggled away by Targaryen loyalists after the Trident to preserve the Targaryen line. Now, even though Aegon in particular is the prince that was promised, Rheagar says that there has to be one more, and that the dragon has three heads (Aegon, Dany and Jon anyone???).

Anyways, when Edric mentions that he and Jon were "milk brothers" I immediately thought oh maybe they were more than milk brothers. After all Ned and Jon spent some time in Starfall, and some say Ashara is Jon's mom. Anyways, rereading Arya's description of Edric, he seems to have some Taragryen features, like "blue eyes that almost looked purple". We know that baby Aegon looked like Rhaegar whereas Rhaenys took after Elia, so presumably Aegon would have silver and purple eyes, and be around Edric's age. Now this doesn't prove anything since Dayne's have Targaryen features, but is it possible that Edric is Aegon? Raised in Starfall with the Daynes who are known to be very close to the Targaryens?

Thoughts?

Edric is at least two years younger than Jon, and Aegon was almost certainly born before Jon, so no. Edric and Jon may have been milk brothers, but not necessarily at the same time.

The Daynes are also known to have that particular eye color.

Interesting theory but ther are some holes, IMO. For one thing, I do not think the ages match up. If Edric were Aegon, he would be older than he appears in ASOS. Also, if Aegon was successfully smuggled out of the Red Keep, I doubt those with his interests at heart would be allowing him to squire about with the BwB.

Interesting theory but ther are some holes, IMO. For one thing, I do not think the ages match up. If Edric were Aegon, he would be older than he appears in ASOS. Also, if Aegon was successfully smuggled out of the Red Keep, I doubt those with his interests at heart would be allowing him to squire about with the BwB.

Haha excellent point. Alright guys, so Edric isn't Aegon. I still think he's going to resurface at some point. Maybe he's that flamboyant mercenary dude that joins up with dany? I don't know someone mentioned it to me lol.

But do you guys think Aegon somehow survived? (I know it's a little far fetched, but after that scene in tHoU, I feel like he's somehow relevant). Also a friend of mine told me that when GRRM was asked whether Rhaenys and Aegon may be alive, he said something along the lines that there is no doubt that Rhaenys was killed, dodging the question about Aegon.

To all Edric = Aegon supporters...

We all know a little something about the maesters of Westeros. Is it possible that as a baby, Aegon was given something to stunt his growth and that he could be Edric Dayne... that he really is 17-18 but only LOOKS 12-13?

I'm only reading the books for the first time but so far, even if something doesn't seem possible, that doesn't necessarily make it IMpossible, right?

Haha excellent point. Alright guys, so Edric isn't Aegon. I still think he's going to resurface at some point. Maybe he's that flamboyant mercenary dude that joins up with dany? I don't know someone mentioned it to me lol.

But do you guys think Aegon somehow survived? (I know it's a little far fetched, but after that scene in tHoU, I feel like he's somehow relevant). Also a friend of mine told me that when GRRM was asked whether Rhaenys and Aegon may be alive, he said something along the lines that there is no doubt that Rhaenys was killed, dodging the question about Aegon.

ADWD spoiler below, so peruse at own risk...

Aegon indeed resurfaces, but it remains to be seen if the character presented is actually Aegon, VI of his name or an impostor of some sort (e.g. Blackfyre pretender)...

ADWD spoiler below, so peruse at own risk...

Aegon indeed resurfaces, but it remains to be seen if the character presented is actually Aegon, VI of his name or an impostor of some sort (e.g. Blackfyre pretender)...

Alright I read that spoiler couldn't resist. Not a biggy thought since I'm starting up on aDwD soon times. I'd probably advise others against reading though lol.

Even though your whole theory may not be correct, you are a pretty shrewd reader. :) I've been spoiled about this particular subject even though I haven't read ADwD yet but I wouldn't have guessed about baby Aegon on my own.

Lol, to be perfectly honest my whole fascination with Aegon is because of my admiration for Rhaegar. I think if he had been alive at the time of the events of the book he would have been my favourite character. (Black armour with the Targaryen red dragons made of rubies, how bad ass does that sound).

Also, up until tHotU, I was puzzled by what the hell "a song of ice and fire" actually meant, and when I heard Rhaegar first say the title of the whole series in relation to Aegon, I thought there would be more to that. Also, and this is controversial as none of my friends actually agree with me on this, but when Rhaegar turns to Dany and says "there has to be one more, the dragon has three heads" I took it as Dany was one head and Aegon another head, whereas most of my friends understood it as Rhaenys being one head and Aegon being another.

In any case, at this point in the story having baby Aegon resurface would be awesome in my opinion. And if he's anything like Rhaegar was, I'd be happy to cheer for him to get the Iron Throne and eventually help baby bro Jon at the wall. You know what they say though, when a Targaryen is born the gods flip a coin and the world holds its breath. I would hate to have Aegon resurface and have him be like Aerys and Viserys.

I would say we still actually don't know what 'a song of ice and fire' actually means.

Also, her vision is vague for obvious reasons. At the point in time Rhaegar said that to Elia, it would make sense he is referring to Aegon and Rhaenys, as Dany was not born yet, and I believe Rhaenys is older than Aegon. But who knows at this point.

I would say we still actually don't know what 'a song of ice and fire' actually means.

Also, her vision is vague for obvious reasons.At the point in time Rhaegar said that to Elia, it would make sense he is referring to Aegon and Rhaenys, as Dany was not born yet, and I believe Rhaenys is older than Aegon. But who knows at this point.

Yep, we still don't know what it means, only that it was first mentioned in relation to baby Aegon.

As to the second point, everyone I talked to seemed to understand it that way. That Rhaegar meant that Aegon was the second head and Rhaenys the first. However, before Rhaegar utters those words, He looks directly at Dany (who mentions that she doesn't know if he's talking to her now or still to Elia) and he says there has to be one more, the dragon has three heads. Him looking at her I interpreted as him talking to her and in turn implying that Dany was the first head. In other words my interpretation of that passage was that Rhaegar's conversation with Elia ended when he turned to face Dany, and began talking to directly to Dany.

I think A Song of Ice has something to do with the R+L=J theory. R(fire), L(ice) and J(AZAH). I think Jon may be the third head if R+L=J is true because that would make him at least part Targaryen and a coupling between him and Danaerys(his aunt) would also fulfill the Song of Ice and Fire.

Archived