Possible time jump in TWOW/ADOS?

The Snowman

Just thinking of the possibility of a jump of a few years and what that would do for the storyline

Personally think it would be a really good thing if it happened 3/4 TWOW because it would give enough time for all of the cliffhangers at the end of Dance to be resolved and for their consequences to be felt and also giving enough pages for more future awesomeness by GRRM

The 7th book isn't named after the return of spring...just the dream of spring. Which could easily mean that they are in the middle of a harsh winter and hoping the season changes soon. A time jump would be interesting though and is almost a little necessary to complete the story in seven books.

I'd rather read about the resolution of the cliffhangers, rather than just hear about it 4 years down the line!

They're just too many things happening that makes it almost impossible for a time jump. So, no, not at this point. GRRM himself have said that he will pick up the story right where ADwD finished, as seen in the gift chapter.

I meant that after all of that cliffhanger stuff was done. I thought I said 3/4 through the books but maybe i didn't.

If the book is a 1000 pages then I would like a time jump to happen around the 700-800 page mark. The common theory in Westeros is that a long summer is followed by and even longer winter. Nevertheless the season's of Summer and Winter in Westeros seem to mirror each other I thought or that's the feeling that I got while reading,perhaps I'm wrong. The summer the just passed was over a decade wasn't it? So we can assume the Winter is going to be at least 5 years at a bare minimum. So I think a time jump of a few years couldn't hurt if say Dany is already in Westeros and can't exactly unite everyone in the middle of possible snow storms even with dragons

Since the 7th book is named after the return of spring, and winters normally last years in ASOIAF (And this one is gearing up to last decades...) I think a time jump is quite likely to occur.

As I"ve often said here: for me, Ados will take place in the heart of Winter with the survivors just hoping, dreaming for a Spring, mending their injuries... trying to make it through the Winter...

I think we need a time jump. However, it does depend on what GRRM. Does his vision of the conclusion of the books have Sansa, Arya, Rickon, Daenerys etc as adults? or are they still children.. I would like to see them as adults at the conclusion of the books.

I read that GRRM had tried the flashback/time skip scenario when he was approaching the second and third books, but decided against it, because he didn't want to rely so much on flashbacks. Apparently he restructured the rest of the series to avoid having to skip ahead. That being said, I'd say it's more likely that GRRM will have the series ending in Winter, though someone had mentioned earlier that a possible end to the years-long seasons is in the works; if so, a Dream of Spring would be an appropriate title for the final book.

I'd rather read about the resolution of the cliffhangers, rather than just hear about it 4 years down the line!

Me too.

But what was interesting for me in the first 3 books was that you would only hear about resolution of some important event or battle. Without GRRM describing it.

And in last 2 books, that were worse than previous, he would go on describing even most insignificant details (without much resolution :( ).

I think there wont be a time jump, but i can see a period of time where we dont see Dany

GRRM said we would never see asshai in the present, but only in flashbacks, now unless these flashbacks are Euron Greyjoys (who it probably wont be as we'll have no more POV characters) it must be Danys. To go west you must go east, learn about the dragons, then come upon Westeros from its western side. And so to kind of shock the reader, we'll hear about Dany going off East, not hear from her for a while, then see the Dragon and the Kraken arrive at westeros during a bit of a clusterfuck period. Civil war, broken wall, others coming etc

Archived