Coolest nicknames

jon tarkaryen

My favs:

The Blackfish is probably the coolest/bad ass.

The Reader is also great for an Ironborn, but it would be a crappy nickname for a Maester, for instance.

And of course, the Onion Knight, though that might just be because I rather fond of Davos himself.

If you mean nicknames not as the short form of the name, then there are lots of characters that don't got one like Eddard or Catelyn for instance. If you also consider the shortened form of the name I think that is because Sansa is such a short name in itself that it doesn't need to be shortened, as is the case of other short names like Arya, Jeyne or Brienne.

Yes, it 's a bit confusing where you really can speak of nickname.

Brienne has this 'the Beauty' often coming after her as a sort of ironic nickname, but most of the real nicknames are owned by the men here.

Come to think of it , after about 40 posts I wonder which of all does NOT have a nickname. And does it tell something about that person?

Stevron was unlucky enough not to have gotten a nickname. And then there's Mace, Doran, Mandon, Meryn, Prester, Amory, Desmond, Patrik, (did Bronn have one?), Jon Arryn, I'm sure there are countless more.

I think that was a reference to Tywin not Jaime. They were talking about Prince Aegon's death

They were, but most people would assume that Jaime was complicit in Aegon's death, and since Tywin has never been called "Lion of Lannister" to my knowledge, it seems more likely that she was blaming Jaime.

Guest rhaenys
They were, but most people would assume that Jaime was complicit in Aegon's death, and since Tywin has never been called "Lion of Lannister" to my knowledge, it seems more likely that she was blaming Jaime.

Actually, I would go with the other interpretation. I was looking for something else in AFFC, and there is that often mentioned section from the Queenmaker POV where Darkstar says "Nor will you get the war that you want. The lion is not so easily provoked." and Arianne answers "The lion's dead. Who knows which cub the lioness prefers." And then, two pages later, Arys says "Tywin Lannister is dead," and she thinks "That was a shock." Either this is an editorial blunder, and Tywin is the lion (which is think it is since Arienne is also surprised that Cersei is in charge), or Joffery is, but either way, they're not talking about Jaime.

'Course "the lion" is not "The Lion of Lannister," which I think GRRM has forgotten about. That's okay, though, it's a really lame nickname anyway. Kind of like Darkstar. Please. ;)

The Bastard of Godsgrace

Barristan the Bold

any name from the Watch: (Iron Emmett, Garth Greyfeather, Tim Tangletongue, Three-Finger Hobb, etc.)

How could I forget the Bastard of Godsgrace! I love that one!

Stevron was unlucky enough not to have gotten a nickname. And then there's Mace, Doran, Mandon, Meryn, Prester, Amory, Desmond, Patrik, (did Bronn have one?), Jon Arryn, I'm sure there are countless more.

well surely some of charachters dont have their nicknames but most of them do.and real nicknames,not just shorten form of name.btw,Oberyn once or twice called mace "fat flower".

And I always love it when they call the broody snake-necked old Weasel:

'The late Lord Walder'. I wish him to live out his Frey-civil war(recent thread) and see his brood reduced

to sub zero. (OK, like always, spare the innocent and the loveworthy)

well surely some of charachters dont have their nicknames but most of them do.and real nicknames,not just shorten form of name.btw,Oberyn once or twice called mace "fat flower".

Oberyn was olny slander poor Mace though. Never says it to him or to too many people. Otherwise Cersie nickname would be That Bitch.

Right! how could we forget Hot Pie??? :P

Hot Pie wasn't a nickname, I thought it was his actual name, or at least the only one he ever knew for himself...

Read the thread and you will see that the Mountain that Rides has already become a whole mountainrange. If there were a vote he would certainly aim ;) high.

We Mountains always aim high ;)

Hot Pie wasn't a nickname, I thought it was his actual name, or at least the only one he ever knew for himself...

As I recall it, he was called that by people in KL for roaming the streets and shouting 'hot pie' - that makes it a nickname (can't imagin his mother actually put the name down on his birth certificate...:)

And I always love it when they call the broody snake-necked old Weasel:

'The late Lord Walder'. I wish him to live out his Frey-civil war(recent thread) and see his brood reduced

to sub zero. (OK, like always, spare the innocent and the loveworthy)

Which ones would those be??? Edmure Tully's wife maybe

Was Gate House Aymi (sp?) mentioned already?

I was trying to remember that one!!, BTW she's a Frey isn't she?

Archived