Organising stuff to do in Chicago before and after WorldCon

Alytha

That would be really nice :)

I'm currently working on my Places To Eat post for the Everything Chicago thread. I'll be sure to include the sweet tour suggestions in that. I'll do two - one for the Loop and one for the Magnificent Mile area.

If you want to do a "sweet" tour I can put together a tour for you to follow in that same neighborhood only with better options to visit.

Ooo, nice! I was just going to ask about the best places for dessert. ;)

I might be interested in the Chinatown or boat tours if they're during the Con as I'm only in Chicago for four days.

Which one was that?

It was the Flavors of Chicago one. We walked it last summer in 90+ degree heat about three weeks before Mrs. Jax had Nora. :) People thought we were nuts.

None of the specific types of food (i.e. the pizza or the hot dogs) were unfamiliar to me in terms of "Chicago Style", but I hadn't been to any of the places we went to. I'm not a huge deep dish kinda guy, but the Pizano's pizza was like a biblical revelation.

I'm currently working on my Places To Eat post for the Everything Chicago thread. I'll be sure to include the sweet tour suggestions in that. I'll do two - one for the Loop and one for the Magnificent Mile area.

No 'burbs? :P

I might be interested in the Chinatown or boat tours if they're during the Con as I'm only in Chicago for four days.

We'd have to find an evening with nothing interesting going on at the Con...maybe once the first draft of the schedule is out.

It was the Flavors of Chicago one. We walked it last summer in 90+ degree heat about three weeks before Mrs. Jax had Nora. :) People thought we were nuts.

None of the specific types of food (i.e. the pizza or the hot dogs) were unfamiliar to me in terms of "Chicago Style", but I hadn't been to any of the places we went to. I'm not a huge deep dish kinda guy, but the Pizano's pizza was like a biblical revelation.

Looks interesting too. Here's the direct link: Flavours of Chicago. Runs daily at 11am, so I personally would prefer doing it outside the Con.

Innocent newbie question: how does a Chicago deep dish pizza differ from the "stereotypical" American pizza with a thick base?

Innocent newbie question: how does a Chicago deep dish pizza differ from the "stereotypical" American pizza with a thick base?

It doesn't have much to do with the crust. Its that there is 1 - 2" of cheese and dough on top of the crust. So some would say its like a pie.

• 2 weeks later...

As my recent poking of people hasn't resulted in nicely worked-out plans for my entertainment in Chicago popping up, I'll just try and get some things going myself ;)

How I imagine this could work:

There will be one post per trip/activity/field of interest, to which, hopefully, a list of attending people will be added in time.

Dates provided to start with will be the ones that I'll be in Chicago for. Things should then ideally get narrowed down until one or several groups/dates remain.

Are you any closer to being able to pin down dates for different activities? I might like to take the Amtrak over and participate in a couple events. However, with Chicon still not having published a schedule of events, it's probably too early to nail down dates.

I will be spending a few hours at the Art Institute of Chicago at some point.

I would be interested in this as well. I go by myself, but might be nice to go with a group.

Day Trip to The Indiana Dunes for a nice day hiking around in nature.

Might be worth renting a car for a day, depending on interest.

Something I would like to do as a bit of balancing after being stuck inside for the Con for a couple of days, so: 4/5/6 September.

I would definitely be interested in this.

Frank Lloyd Wright tour - am thinking of trying to do this on the Wednesday before the con.

and this too.

I'm not really any closer to fixing any dates, still waiting for more people to come in and post their ideas or availabilities.

The Indiana Dunes trip would be on 5th September I guess. Might need 4th September to recover from the Con ;)

I have non-con things to get done on the Wednesday and possibly the Thursday as well. The art institute and the boat tour are on my list, and will probably happen Thursday/Friday (not necessarily in that order).

I'm not sure how big the group is or how old everyone is, but I always suggest our museums. While not on the scale of those in New York or London, they are all worthwhile. I'd enjoy showing off any of them! We also have nice parks for walks and picnics; it'd be a shame to miss them. The Jazz festival will be on in Millennium Park from the 30th-2nd, and Lincoln Park has the zoo and conservatory (and the lily pond might be open).

I do have some advice!

The Mythbusters exhibit will end Monday the 3rd, so if anyone was interested in that it would have to be before the convention.

Navy Pier is not very interesting.

The beach may be really crowded. Unless you absolutely have to tan and get in the water, I'd recommend seeing the lake from a non-beach part of the shore. That being said, nobody ever goes to the beach with me because it's too crowded, so if y'all must go I will still come with!

ETA: Ah, I just saw the dunes trip on the 5th. I do not drive, but if someone wouldn't mind chauffeuring me, I'd definitely go.

ETA: Ah, I just saw the dunes trip on the 5th. I do not drive, but if someone wouldn't mind chauffeuring me, I'd definitely go.

I'm not sure which dunes was discussed, but I know that there is an Amtrak stop outside one of the major dune beaches in Northern Indiana. I can't remember how far it is from there, though. :-\

I've updated some posts on the first page, and added names, so go check if I haven't pressganged you into anything by misinterpreting your posts ;)

There would be 4 of us for the Dunes trip, so we could get a car.

Tour through Millennium Park.

About Millennium Park. It has the Bean in it, which I'd really like to see.

If we get enough people interested, we might be able to book a special tour.

If the map is correct, it's just down the street from the Hyatt, so it might be a good thing to do on the same day as the Boat tour above: 4/5/6 September.

I'll be up for this. :)

The Museum of Science and Industry

Has several interesting exhibitions going on, like one on the Mythbusters, and these which I'm too lazy to copy.

Dates: 28/29 August as the Mythbusters exhibition will end after the Con too.

People: Me, Adz?

Yes!!! :)

Day Trip to The Indiana Dunes for a nice day hiking around in nature.

Might be worth renting a car for a day, depending on interest.

Something I would like to do as a bit of balancing after being stuck inside for the Con for a couple of days, so: 4/5/6 September.

ETA: Very probably going to take place on 5th September (if it does).

People: Me, Song of Hounds and Wolves, motherofdragoncats, Adz?

I'll come along, too. :) But I won't do much hiking, probably . :P

Archived