Can I read A Storm of Swords like this?

MaesterAwesome

I just finished A Clash of Kings and I noticed that the Daenerys story-line is kept almost entirely separate from the rest of the characters and their part of the story. Anyway, I was wondering if I could read the Dany chapters in A Storm of Swords separately without spoiling the rest of the book?

i don't think that's gonna be any good. i think you'll soon realize that if you keep skipping chapters, the time frame the story is set through GRRM is gonna be all messed up, and you're gonna be lost to what's happening and when. the time reference is important during the books, and i think you'll lose grip of the story if you don't respect the event order.

but of course, it's up to you!

You can, though i wouldn't recommend it. It's not healthy to your further comprehension of the story, especially when Daenerys finally join the other characters in Westeros and, of course, there's a lot of history about Daenerys and House Targaryen in other people's chapters.

why ever would you do that? Dany's chapters, are, IMHO, the most boring chapters, although her arc is interesting and I like her character.

*gasp*! In ASOS? Dany! Slaver's bay action is... boring?

@MaesterAwesome

You can do anything you put your mind to bro!

I wouldn't reccomend it though, asos is gold and you won't want to miss anything (plus Dany only got like 3-4 chapters)

*gasp*! In ASOS? Dany! Slaver's bay action is... boring?

@MaesterAwesome

You can do anything you put your mind to bro!

I wouldn't reccomend it though, asos is gold and you won't want to miss anything (plus Dany only got like 3-4 chapters)

Yea, the Dany line is one of the best parts of the book IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the suspense that builds during the "meanwhile at the ranch" scenes; which build in suspense while reading other scenes.......

I love it just the way it's written.

Now if I were conducting a 'study' of certain characters then yes, reading their chapters alone would be enlightening. But the story would be lost.

ASOS works fairly well if you decide to read the Daenerys chapters in isolation.

However, that won't necessarily be true of the later books. And in all honesty, while ASOS is something of a high point in Daenerys' story, her chapters are still somewhat dull compared to the rest of the book.

• 1 month later...

I've only skipped ahead to read the same character's arc like that once when I *had* to know what happened next.

On the first read I don't think I'd read arc by arc though. A couple POV chapters are arranged near each other so that a certain effect is created...reading them out of order might mess that up. At least for me, it would.

As others said, Danny only has a few chapters in SoS, so if you really wanted to skip through them I suppose you could...otherwise I don't know if I'd encourage it.

Archived