The Faceless Men Egg

Two Towers

There is a widely accepted theory that says that Euron hired the faceless men to kill Balon.

There is another theory, not that well established but still interesting, that claims that the price demanded was the dragon egg Euron had (the one he said 'he threw to the sea in a fit of anger' or something like that).

In support of this, there is yet another theory, that says that Jaqen (now Pate), is at the citadel looking for the last known copy of a book

called 'Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons' , that according to Tyrion 'was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel'.

If this theorys are true, then the FM have a marked interest in dragons, and are actively pursuing them. But why? They are supposed to be a cult of stealthy assasins, how is a having a dragon going to help them assasinate people undetected? In addition, they are based in Braavos, a city that opposes pretty much everything Valyrian.

I don't think they wanted the egg to make a big omelette, but why for then? Are they seeking to expand their operation in a more drastic way? Are they preparing to fight Dany? Dragons for hire perhaps?

If you subscribe to this three theorys, what do you think the next step is?

One less dragon in the world maybe?

Maybe they need to study it to learn how to kill dragons?

I mean if you where the only ones in the world who knew how to kill dragons and could pull it off, every King, Prince, and Lord would be begging for your help when Dany comes around.

My Crackpot theory is that Jaqen is going to come back to the house of Black and White with the book, or at least knowledge from it(He could have just studied it then put it back) and pick up Arya from her training, then they will set sail to go take out Dany, and her Dragons.

If the book they're looking for is the Death of Dragons, what on earth could the the FM's ultimate goal :idea:

I don't know what to say about the dragon egg, but there have been plenty of people saying how dragons are dangerous.

There is another theory, not that well established but still interesting, that claims that the price demanded was the dragon egg Euron had (the one he said 'he threw to the sea in a fit of anger' or something like that).

This is certainly a possibility. I wouldn't be comfortable counting on this linkage unless another piece of information in the story suggests or verifies it for us.

In support of this, there is yet another theory, that says that Jaqen (now Pate), is at the citadel looking for the last known copy of a book

called 'Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons' , that according to Tyrion 'was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel'.

This seems likely, given what we know and if this book isn't Jaqen's target, then something equally rare, valuable, and earth shattering is.

I don't think they wanted the egg to make a big omelette, but why for then? Are they seeking to expand their operation in a more drastic way? Are they preparing to fight Dany? Dragons for hire perhaps?

If the interest of the Faceless Men is in hatching and raising a dragon of their own, the creature isn't going to grow up in time to be useful to them within the scope of the story. The Faceless Men have revealed something of their history, but they have not shown themselves to be players in the long game, or in possession of an overarching agenda.

It's possible that they may want to eliminate dragons from the world by removing the knowledge that allows them to be hatched and raised, but if that's the case, they're late to the party. It's plausible that they're searching for knowledge to combat dragons, but if that was Jaqen's original mission, how did the FM come to anticipate the hatching of the dragons? If he changed course later on, how did he get word of his new orders? There's simply too much we don't know.

I think they are planning to either kill the dragons or market themselves as the only ones who can kill the dragons. Imagine what type of fee they could collect for killing three dragons. I'm guessing it would be pretty large.

Thereis a thread floating around somewhere where we discussed the dragon and other Valyria-related books. The book Tyrion calls Blood and Fire or Death of Dragons might actually be Dragonkin, Being a History of House Targaryen From Exile to Apotheosis, with a Consideration of the Life and Death of Dragons, by Thomax. There may be be two copies of the book and one is at the Citadel but we know for sure one was in the Castle Black library. Sam pulls it out. It's unknown if he left it with Jon or if he put it in the chest of books he planned to give to the Citadel. He ended up trading that chest of books for passage on Quhuru Mo's ship, Cinnamon Wind. Quhuru Mo had previously met Dany in Qarth so this book could possibly end up in Dany's hands instead of the Faceless Men's hands.

I agree that they may be trying to hatch a dragon for balance of power.

1,They have an egg.

2,They are searching for a book, that I believe isn't only about killing dragons.

3, They have a skinchanger in training to control a dragon

I think they are planning to either kill the dragons or market themselves as the only ones who can kill the dragons. Imagine what type of fee they could collect for killing three dragons. I'm guessing it would be pretty large.

Thereis a thread floating around somewhere where we discussed the dragon and other Valyria-related books. The book Tyrion calls Blood and Fire or Death of Dragons might actually be Dragonkin, Being a History of House Targaryen From Exile to Apotheosis, with a Consideration of the Life and Death of Dragons, by Thomax. There may be be two copies of the book and one is at the Citadel but we know for sure one was in the Castle Black library. Sam pulls it out. It's unknown if he left it with Jon or if he put it in the chest of books he planned to give to the Citadel. He ended up trading that chest of books for passage on Quhuru Mo's ship, Cinnamon Wind. Quhuru Mo had previously met Dany in Qarth so this book could possibly end up in Dany's hands instead of the Faceless Men's hands.

I think the captain of the ship said to Sam that he was going to sell the books to the maester of the citadel, so he didn't need to worry about loosing them

I agree that they may be trying to hatch a dragon for balance of power.

With the 5 year gap, I think this might be a serious possibility, but now that Martin is going without it, we won't see any real results in the story if the FM do manage to get their hands on an egg and hatch it. The dragon wouldn't be large enough to do anything meaningful within the body of the story.

I think the captain of the ship said to Sam that he was going to sell the books to the maester of the citadel, so he didn't need to worry about loosing them

Yes, that's what he said. Doesn't mean that's what he actually intends to do. He could go through the books and find that perhaps he might get more money if he sold to someone else. Or he could have just been flat out lying.

With the 5 year gap, I think this might be a serious possibility, but now that Martin is going without it, we won't see any real results in the story if the FM do manage to get their hands on an egg and hatch it. The dragon wouldn't be large enough to do anything meaningful within the body of the story.

The possibility that someone else than Dany can hatch a dragon would be influential enough. Anyway, no one says they are going to be successful.

The possibility that someone else than Dany can hatch a dragon would be influential enough.

It could be, but I think the significance of Dany in hatching the dragons is far less than a lot of people seem to believe. We might be destined to find out that she was simply in the right place at the right time, with the right general recitation of a formula.

I for one take any theory involving Euron with a grain of salt. All the ideas on where he's been or what he's really done in the past, or if it's even him or a FM/Undying acting as him, or his true intentions... to me he's still a bit too vague to predict.

That being said I still think, like most of you, that the FM are in fact doing... well, something; but I can't tell whether or not they are for or against Dany. Yes, they are currently looking for a book with loads of valuable information on Dragons, including maybe even how to slay them... but that doesn't necessarily mean that their intentions are bad, maybe they want to the book for themselves so the Citadel stays ignorant on the matter, or maybe it's a failsafe, I don't know..... but one thing is for certain, even if they did have an egg, its taken 4 books (since they were hatched) for Dany's to grow to be of formidable size, the FM's supposed dragon is insignificant due to time restraints - with 2 books and only 1 season left.

The possibility that someone else than Dany can hatch a dragon would be influential enough. Anyway, no one says they are going to be successful.

If someone other than Dany or a Targaryen were able to hatch an egg, it would definitely be influential for Dany. It would alter nearly everything she knows about herself and her identity as a Targaryen and, I think, might possibly have a positive effect on how she chooses to rule.

I think the FM know the dragons have returned and want to protect them. I think the Maesters want to insure dragons never return. After all, it's never really explained how the dragons died off, but it seems to be fairly mysterious. Also, it's never really explained how the Maesters come to power (afaik). Plus the Maesters have beacons that signal when dragons have returned "glass candles." There is something up with what the Maesters are doing, and while I'm not sure what it is, I think they want dragons gone. Now the reason the FM would not want the dragons gone is a different story, and one I admittedly haven't put together, but it would make for an interesting dynamic.

If someone other than Dany or a Targaryen were able to hatch an egg, it would definitely be influential for Dany. It would alter nearly everything she knows about herself and her identity as a Targaryen and, I think, might possibly have a positive effect on how she chooses to rule.

I don't really think we will get to see another dragon enter the story, but it would be interesting, just to screw up with Dany and her mother of dragons crap. She might want to rethink her High and Mighty act, if she stops thinking she's so unique

I don't really think we will get to see another dragon enter the story, but it would be interesting, just to screw up with Dany and her mother of dragons crap. She might want to rethink her High and Mighty act, if she stops thinking she's so unique

If they hatched the egg, I don't think it would be to see another dragon entering the story. There just isn't enough time. The significance of a dragon being hatched would be solely for Dany's arc. It would completely change what she thought she knew and probably significantly alter her motivations.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. I don't really think the Faceless Men are seeking to hatch a dragon egg.

I for one take any theory involving Euron with a grain of salt. All the ideas on where he's been or what he's really done in the past, or if it's even him or a FM/Undying acting as him, or his true intentions... to me he's still a bit too vague to predict.

That being said I still think, like most of you, that the FM are in fact doing... well, something; but I can't tell whether or not they are for or against Dany. Yes, they are currently looking for a book with loads of valuable information on Dragons, including maybe even how to slay them... but that doesn't necessarily mean that their intentions are bad, maybe they want to the book for themselves so the Citadel stays ignorant on the matter, or maybe it's a failsafe, I don't know..... but one thing is for certain, even if they did have an egg, its taken 4 books (since they were hatched) for Dany's to grow to be of formidable size, the FM's supposed dragon is insignificant due to time restraints - with 2 books and only 1 season left.

I've used an awful lot of "likes" on this still-relatively-small-thread, but my gut just tells me there's something major at work here, I just don't know what. Pomp and Happenstance says it best for me.

I also like the idea that Jaqen's time in the black dungeons at LK was for a definite purpose -- we know that he can get out of whatever tight spot he wants to, so I can't help but agree with the idea above that he was in the black dungeons to spy on Varys. That would mean that Varys and the FM are on different 'sides', and though I can't imagine what that would entail, I'd love to see it played out.

I did wonder, though, in the epilogue of Dance, whether or not those strange little bald children were part of the FM genre. ??? :dunno: ???

I also like the idea that Jaqen's time in the black dungeons at LK was for a definite purpose -- we know that he can get out of whatever tight spot he wants to, so I can't help but agree with the idea above that he was in the black dungeons to spy on Varys. That would mean that Varys and the FM are on different 'sides', and though I can't imagine what that would entail, I'd love to see it played out.

I did wonder, though, in the epilogue of Dance, whether or not those strange little bald children were part of the FM genre. ??? :dunno: ???

I'm not entirely convinced that he was in the dungeons on his free will. If he really can get out of anything, then Arya saving him from the fire wasn't actually 'stealing a life from the Red God', he would've escape anyway.

In the other hand, if his mission is indeed about dragons and dragonlore, then there must be something worth checking on KL. Perhaps the skulls of the dead dragons is not the only dragon related thing the Targs kept in the Red Keep...

Archived