The Faceless Men Egg

Two Towers

Back on topic, I was thinking about Jaqen in KL. If he didn't get what he wanted before ending up in the dungeons, then he might have to go back for it. I still believe there was something else the Targs kept in the Red Keep besides the skulls, something that might help the FM with their eggs issues...

That might explain a fair amount. Jaqen is too skilled to get caught by Gold Cloaks, so perhaps he was rummaging around in the deepest part of the Kings Landing dungeons looking for dragon artifacts, when he was interrupted by Yoren and a bunch of guards. He didn't have time to kill them all, so instead he quietly killed one of their prisoners (who included the "real" Jaqen H'gar, who was probably a child molester) and took over his appearance. That would explain why Rorger and Biter were so afraid of him. Yoren was never wise to the ruse.

He then submitted to capture and decided for a change of plans, and would escape at the first opportunity and go to Oldtown instead (I guess the Kings Landing dungeon search was coming up empty),

1) I am also quite curious if there is a Targaryen library somewhere in Maegor's Holdfast, and that is why Jaquen was originally sent to KL.

I think Jaquen was looking for a concealed Targaryen library, or perhaps some relic in KL.

For all we know, he could simply be planning to swoop up all the obsidian candles that can be found in the interest of keeping potential competitors/conspirators in the dark.

Regardless, there was something of rare value to be found in the depths of KL and (judging by the lack of turnkey discipline we learn about in Jamie's SOS chapters) Jaquen could have had nearly unfettered access to the crypts, crawl-ways, and inner workings of Maegor's Holdfast simply by being a neglected, low-value prisoner.

2) I don't buy this zero sum argument that because Braavos 'stood against' Valyria centuries ago, that anybody/anything from Braavos must want to kill dragons.

History is rife with the oppressed turning into the oppressors by harnessing the means with which they were subjected.

To that end, even if the Kindly Man was telling Arya the truth that FM don't take lives which aren't marked, I am unconvinced that it is that simple.

We already know of several entities which act in and from Braavos - the Iron Bank, the Sealord, the Moonsingers, the Courtesans, Prestayns, Antaryons, etc.

I think the FM are but one arm of the Sealord - that is to say the Sealord is really even in charge.

(That would assume that all Braavos actors work together for common interest, which itself is a generous assumption.)

My point is that even if the rank and file of the FM do not have license to kill, it would not necessarily follow that a FM could have a much more robust freedom when in service to a higher order or entity (the Sealord himself/herself or even someone/something more ominous and nefarious still).

I agree with you on both points. However, I don't believe that all the braavosi branches answer to the Sealord, but I think they could be associated between them in some (rather important) capacity.

For example, I always thought there was a connection between the FM and the Iron Bank. The Bank has the reputation of finding its debtors dead and replaced with a more 'reliable' person. The FM are known to ask huge payments and have been in bussines for a long time, so were is all that money going? My bet is the Iron Bank (remember that the faceless coin was an iron coin).

On Braavos not being as anti-dragon as they would appear to be, I agree that is a real and interesting possibility, but we need some solid evidence before naming them liars (as Davos would say).

I still believe that the giving of three lives in Drogo`s funeral pyre back in GoT was what allowed the eggs to be hatched, so I don`t think that the FM would be involved in hatching a dragon`s egg unless it was found in that book (a possibility), and the FM were prepared to hatch it, or do something else with it as well as the knowledge, although by then doing it through their own volition would be a stretch at best, from what we know about how their operation works.

What it could be instead (and I base this entirely on a shot in the dark, among other wild connections) is the book by Thomax on the House Targaryen previously mentioned and is thought to exist, and it being involved somehow in the campaign just starting in the Stormlands.

I have a question though...what do the FM do with what accumulates in their treasury?

I agree with you on both points. However, I don't believe that all the braavosi branches answer to the Sealord, but I think they could be associated between them in some (rather important) capacity.

For example, I always thought there was a connection between the FM and the Iron Bank. The Bank has the reputation of finding its debtors dead and replaced with a more 'reliable' person. The FM are known to ask huge payments and have been in bussines for a long time, so were is all that money going? My bet is the Iron Bank (remember that the faceless coin was an iron coin).

On Braavos not being as anti-dragon as they would appear to be, I agree that is a real and interesting possibility, but we need some solid evidence before naming them liars (as Davos would say).

AH, I GOT IT.

They could be using these dragon artifacts to try and hatch a dragon for Aegon VI to cement his rise as the new king? FM could be hired by either the Bank or Varys or both to meet this end.

AH, I GOT IT.

They could be using these dragon artifacts to try and hatch a dragon for Aegon VI to cement his rise as the new king? FM could be hired by either the Bank or Varys or both to meet this end.

Aegon or Griff would've mention something like this, and the Bank seems to be backing Stannis, so IMO, I don't see this as a very possible theory

Aegon or Griff would've mention something like this, and the Bank seems to be backing Stannis, so IMO, I don't see this as a very possible theory

Maybe the Bank wouldn't have to be involved, but it was the "reputation for finding debtors dead and replaced" that clicked it into place for me.

I'm willing to think that Varys knows things that others don't, and keeps it under wraps until it is necessary :P

Maybe the Bank wouldn't have to be involved, but it was the "reputation for finding debtors dead and replaced" that clicked it into place for me.

I'm willing to think that Varys knows things that others don't, and keeps it under wraps until it is necessary :P

Ok, but my point was that since the bank and FM seems to be working together, even maybe that the bank is owned/controlled by the FM, and since the bank is backing Stannis, the FM wouldn't be supporting Aegon. Of course, there is the possibility that they have their 'eggs in more than one basket'

Ok, but my point was that since the bank and FM seems to be working together, even maybe that the bank is owned/controlled by the FM, and since the bank is backing Stannis, the FM wouldn't be supporting Aegon. Of course, there is the possibility that they have their 'eggs in more than one basket'

Punny, I like it.

Veering a bit more off topic, how did the Golden Company get paid?

The Bank seems to just want to get paid, supporting whoever in order to get their millions of gold pieces back. I'm curious to see what they and the FM have to do with each other. ARYA CHAPTERS TO THE RESCUE!

That might explain a fair amount. Jaqen is too skilled to get caught by Gold Cloaks, so perhaps he was rummaging around in the deepest part of the Kings Landing dungeons looking for dragon artifacts, when he was interrupted by Yoren and a bunch of guards. He didn't have time to kill them all, so instead he quietly killed one of their prisoners (who included the "real" Jaqen H'gar, who was probably a child molester) and took over his appearance. That would explain why Rorger and Biter were so afraid of him. Yoren was never wise to the ruse.

He then submitted to capture and decided for a change of plans, and would escape at the first opportunity and go to Oldtown instead (I guess the Kings Landing dungeon search was coming up empty),

I believe something like this happened, but did he find what he was looking for or will he have to return to KL? Or perhaps, as you say, the search in KL was infructuous and decided to go to Oldtown instead

Euron also could've used that small army of wizards he holds on his ship to kill Balon. Or the wizards foretold that Balon would die and he set sail for Pyke asap to claim the Throne.

And why does everyone assume that the FM are stealing the book or the egg for themselves. What if they were hired to do some greated deed(s)?

Not much is known about the exact ways the FM operate and waht they will or won't do (except that they kill in a stealthy way and have various manners of disguising themselves....)

My theory:

Varys hired the FM to get some safe passage for Ned from KL to the wall, when Jaqen found out that Ned was dead he helped the next best thing (Arya) After which he disappears on some strange mission, probably stealing that book or whatever lies in the citadel he's interested in. And that book doesnt have to be used to kill dragons. I think it holds general info on the dragons, which would help Dany immensely since she doesnt know the first hairy donky's ass about them. Varys could've gotten the money or whatever from Illyrio to pay the FM, and since he didn't ask the FM to kill some high-up it could've have cost them that much. Or since he asked the FM for safeguarding the FM then took Arya in. Since Varys probably knew that Arya was alive and just didn't tell anyone for his own secret reasons.

Back on topic, new idea (at least for me):

• The FM where once part of the Valyrian civilization.
  • Many people believe they were involved with the doom.
  • It is possible they have some degree of Valyrian knowlegde (like Valyrian metalurgy, masonry, spells, etc...)
  • I'm assuming that Valyrian technology was based on dragons (not a very far fetched assumption)

So it could be that they need a dragon to put this old knowlegde to work, and now that they know that magic is back in the world and that dragons can be hatched again, they are going to give it a try

I think this is an interesting idea, the FM not wanting the dragon for the dragon itself, but for the Valyrian technology they could re-develope. It would certainly be a game changer, although I'm not sure how it would affect Westeros

I think this is an interesting idea, the FM not wanting the dragon for the dragon itself, but for the Valyrian technology they could re-develope. It would certainly be a game changer, although I'm not sure how it would affect Westeros

Agreed, but it seems completely out of character for the FM to be working on their own agenda, without a specific eventual target at the end of it all

That would explain the book, but what about the egg?

Well... The Egg is a medium for FM for transferring the Gift. Or

They have a Dragon to meet the Targaryen Power. Its like Nuclear missiles, if we conseider Dragons as Nuclear strenght in Martin's World.

So , Dany had ultimate power with her, and FM are developing their own power.

FM move very secretly and IMO Sanely towards any task that they undertake. So, they would equip themselves with all knowledge of Dragonlore and create a Dragon from the Egg.

While Targaryens lost their blood and fire magic,which is glaringly obvious with their inability to hatch a dragon egg,FM may have been keeping stronger connections to the knowledge they had brought from Valyria; no,they may not be dragon lords,but there is a decent possibility that there is some kind of input,that allows them further planning.

Possibility that Euron paid with that egg ONLY (we know that paying for the gift goes beyond fortune) speak volumes of Faceless Men's interests about the dragons,and that certainly they are up to something (also suggested by Jaqen's Citadel position)

As for the Dany's shackle-breaking intentions and her love for Braavos,I was thinking on the beginning that this would give her some sort of consideration on the FM part,but that would be out of FM's nature,so no,they won't see her as benevolent figure.

If Dragons or Dragon power is key to the doom of Valyria then perhaps the FM plan to use this on a wider scale? All men must die and maybe they plan for all men to die sooner rather than later. I could get more crackpot into this but maybe the FM have some doomsday scenario planned to honor their god. Just a thought.

Slightly adjacent topic, was searching for opinions on the Dusky Woman as I'm rereading, and the mystery surrounding her (or, the lack there of pointing to there actually being a mystery), and a common thought is that she is possibly a FM still under contract to Euron, or just a FM in general, possibly using the Euron connection (but this doesn't really matter). Could she be a partner to JH? He gets the book, she gets the horn, the FM have the egg, and they all have a great big baby shower? Seems unlikely that they would only send out one person on a mission like this.

We don't know for certain you need to have the "blood of the dragon" as Dany likes to whine about (allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time) to control them/ride them, but if we go with the idea that they have the egg, want to hatch the egg, and want to keep the dragon under their control, we can assume that they would cover their bases on the control factor yes? Particularly given the extent of the book mission (if that is indeed the aim at the Citadel), I mean, one doesn't just go into a dragon hatching blind. Even if they just want to know how to protect themselves from possible dragon attack, or how to kill the dragons should they need to/should that be their goal, having the horn that is supposed to tame them would serve in this as well.

Pretty excited, it's my first crackpot/I-have-no-evidence-to-back-this-up theory :rofl:

:agree: My point, precisely

Agreed, but it seems completely out of character for the FM to be working on their own agenda, without a specific eventual target at the end of it all

I don't think the FM are just in the bussines of assassinating people, I think that's only a part of it, despite what the Kindly Man may say. I think they also gather information, like some sort of intelligence agency, you know, with the whole it's good to know this things deal with Arya.

In any case, I do believe they have their own agenda and that the death contracts are only a part of their organization/cult

Archived