Jon Snow marries Daenerys Targareyen

Strong feeling that it's headed there. Two creatures who can fight the cold the Direwolf and the Dragon. Same age. Both have known lovers. Clearly Jon is not staying at the Wall forever. I think his identity, when it is revealed will somehow tie him to Daenerys. If he is Rhaegar's other son. I somehow see their fates collide before the end. When "The Others" come, maybe there will be Dragons at the Wall

Aw hell naw. So predictable and boring. (and yucky if they're related, I don't care if it's common in Targs, Jon wasn't raised as a Targ and that's not gonna change.)

I hope they end up either on opposite sides or just fight together and that's it -_-

I don't see it happening for the following reasons:

- A story where the hero/potential prince and the princess marry seems a little too predictable for ASOIAF

- Even if If R+L=J is true Jon was raised a Stark so I don't see him pursuing a relationship with his aunt voluntarily on the grounds that Targaryens intermarried

- Their personalities are totally wrong for each other. After Drogo and Daario Dany may find him too bland and Jon doesn't seem attracted to entitled people.

- I think we will see a version of the Dance of the Dragons between Dany and Aegon. Am still not sure how Dany will take another secret Targ.

I can see them as allies, but nothing more.

They fall in love, alas one is a fiery tyrant and the other a cold undead. This is their song, and they die during the climax. No marriage. Just a meeting, before eternal separation. They can build them a statue afterwards.

Also, bonus point if stuff like "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" pops up.

A song of Ice and Fire--to me this Jon and Dany--but the term "song" hints at a constant interplay between dissonance and resolution....so yea I agree that a happily ever after is far too neat for this series.

As to Jon and Dany's personalities, they really are flip sides of a coin. They each have their strong independent streaks, and, most importantly, both Jon and Dany refuse to settle when they are presented with a choice between two paths where both paths have their downsides. Jon and Dany are the most likely to forge an unseen path rather than choose the lesser of two evils.

In a medieval society, alliances are solidified through political marriage. I don't know why everybody assumes such a marriage must be out of love.

According to the laws of Westeros, Jon is the rightful king and patriarch of House Targaryen. Dany would have to accept Jon as king as he is her House's true heir, or she is no better than the Usurper in her mind. There is no need for a political marriage.

Jon will probably marry Val since he thinks of her as a wife fit for any lord in her abilities and beauty, and they have some chemistry between them.

According to the laws of Westeros, Jon is the rightful king and patriarch of House Targaryen. Dany would have to accept Jon as king as he is her House's true heir, or she is no better than the Usurper in her mind. There is no need for a political marriage.

Jon will probably marry Val since he thinks of her as a wife fit for any lord in her abilities and beauty, and they have some chemistry between them.

You're running off of the assumption that Jon's only claim would be to the Iron Throne. Surely he would need a preexisting power base to enforce such a claim. If Jon were to gain the support of the North (perhaps in addition to the Riverlands, the Vale, or whatever) it would be politically beneficial to Daenerys to marry him, regardless of the validity of his claim to the Iron Throne.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this, I don't want them to marry, I just think it's ridiculous that so many people write off the plausibility of it.

In a medieval society, alliances are solidified through political marriage. I don't know why everybody assumes such a marriage must be out of love.

When I wrote allies I didn't mean allies in the political sense where mostly you are looking either to gain power or to reinforce your power but rather in a strive for survival kind of alliance.

If they recognize a common foe like the Others and come to the understanding that together they have enough and valuable assets (For example, Jon's knowledge of winter and the North/Dany's armies and dragons) they may reach a common ground and take it from there. There's no need for them to marry just like Jon isn't marrying Val or any other wilding woman for the sake of an alliance between the Night's Watch and the wildings. The fear of the common threat they are facing is enough to bring this alliance about.

Why does everyone assume that Jon would *want* to be king, anyway? After five books of putting his all into the Night's Watch, I don't see him throwing it all away. If this comes up, I think it'll mirror his choice about Winterfell.

According to the laws of Westeros, Jon is the rightful king and patriarch of House Targaryen. Dany would have to accept Jon as king as he is her House's true heir, or she is no better than the Usurper in her mind.

Only if Rhaegar and Lyana got married (which is only a theory) and more importantly, it can be proven to Dany in a convincing way (which seems a really long shot).

If Jon were to gain the support of the North (perhaps in addition to the Riverlands, the Vale, or whatever) it would be politically beneficial to Daenerys to marry him, regardless of the validity of his claim to the Iron Throne.
It remains dubious how he could achieve this, all things considered. Between Roose supporters, Stannis, the stabbing, the oathbreaking, the undead-ness, the northern support for Rickon, the probable entrance of Sansa in the game, the knowledge Bran is alive, the war having depleted the current resources and foremost his own reluctance to assume any title especially when his sibling are indeed alive (he did state that Winterfell was Sansa's, unequivoqually), he's not likely to garner that much support, even with a paper shield. We know what paper shields do: they don't really work.

According to the laws of Westeros, Jon is the rightful king and patriarch of House Targaryen.
He's not even a Targaryen, so far. The rest is pure speculation, not only for the readers, but even more for the characters. Dany has the dragons, lawfulness comes from their throats, blazing hot. As "Aegon" will surely notice... Since he is supposedly the actual rightful king. How to detect Aegon is fake? You don't detect that, you just burn him to a crisp when he doesn't kneel to you.

When I wrote allies I didn't mean allies in the political sense where mostly you are looking either to gain power or to reinforce your power but rather in a strive for survival kind of alliance.

If they recognize a common foe like the Others and come to the understanding that together they have enough and valuable assets (For example, Jon's knowledge of winter and the North/Dany's armies and dragons) they may reach a common ground and take it from there. There's no need for them to marry just like Jon isn't marrying Val or any other wilding woman for the sake of an alliance between the Night's Watch and the wildings. The fear of the common threat they are facing is enough to bring this alliance about.

I'm not sure what relevance the wildlings have. They have no monarchy or concept of marriage alliance to begin with. I also wouldn't put it past somebody like Daenerys to take advantage of the situation to force a marriage, i.e. marry to preserve her realm if Jon wants her help.

Only if Rhaegar and Lyana got married (which is only a theory) and more importantly, it can be proven to Dany in a convincing way (which seems a really long shot).

True, it is a theory, but if Rhaegar is described to be honorable as he is by Ned, Barristan and Jorah than Rhaegar probably wouldn't dishonor a highborn girl by deflowering and impregnating her, he would marry her to protect her honor. He knew could claim there was precedent for taking two wives from Aegon I.

I'm not sure what relevance the wildlings have. They have no monarchy or concept of marriage alliance to begin with. I also wouldn't put it past somebody like Daenerys to take advantage of the situation to force a marriage, i.e. marry to preserve her realm if Jon wants her help.
They are Scots. Makes sense that immortals would comes from their part of the world, I guess.

And Dany believes herself barren... Considering AFFC/ADWD, I don't thing she has any problem sleeping with men she finds attractive anyway, though.

True, it is a theory, but if Rhaegar is described to be honorable as he is by Ned, Barristan and Jorah than Rhaegar probably wouldn't dishonor a highborn girl by deflowering and impregnating her, he would marry her to protect her honor.
If he was, he would probably not break her marriage promise and provoke a civil war either.

But this is rather moot, as what actually happened is irrelevant: it's what people will choose to believe happened that will count. As "Arya" proves; or the kingslayer. Something is a lie? So what? Something is true? So what? Nobody has a mind-altering machine forcing people to believe anything, even if they had a direct feed of past events, which they have not; They have, at most, very few witnesses, whose sincerity, after all these years, could be considered suspect. (especially when the benefit of this would go to one who already proved himself to be treacherous and ambitious, when there are much more palatable and legitimate options around)

I believe R+L=J and he may be legitimate but I don't believe he will end on the Iron Throne (neither Dany). If he faces the choice, I think he'll chose the North/NW instead of the throne. As he did when Stannis gave him the opportunity to be Lord of Winterfell...

And I really hope that he doesn't marries Dany. Worse shipping ever imo. They will either join forces to fight the Others or will end in opposite sides. Either way, I don't believe they will end together as a couple (maybe as aunt/nephew). I fact, I think one of them or maybe both will die in the end...

Archived